New behaviour

5 posters

Go down

New behaviour Empty New behaviour

Post by KarenGoodall Fri Jun 21 2013, 13:27

Hi Guys,

I haven't posted for a while has had quite a bit going on but wondered if I could get some advice. Colin is now 15 nearly 16 weeks old and I know he is a puppy and still learning etc, but over the last two weeks he seems to have developed some behaviours that I'm trying to discourage with him, but feel like I need some advice.

From coming home at 9 weeks old, he hasn't been allowed on the sofa with us, (it's leather so would get ripped to shreds) however, he has taken to just jumping up but going nutty on the sofa, digging at it etc and when we tell him no and tell him to get down he is jerking away from us so that we can't reach him to get him down and when we do manage to get him we have to watch for him snapping at us. Before getting down off the sofa, he
is growling, barking and baring his teeth and showing the whites of his eyes and ears flat back. It's like he goes out of control. When we do get hold of him, we put him in time out until he calms down and usually this works but then within 5 mins he's doing it again. I know we have to be consistent but I'm tearing my hair out at the moment. In addition to this he has gone from being good as gold on his lead to ignoring commands and pulling on the lead. Aside from this, he is great with other dogs and children, but I know this is a phase that I will have to work through with him, but want to make sure that I am doing the right things with him. He has started humping everything in sight and this is usually followed by the running around like a loon.

There is no rhyme nor reason to him starting like this, he goes from calm and cuddly to nutter in 60 seconds.

Advice gratefully received...
KarenGoodall
KarenGoodall
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Colin
Dog(s) Ages : 18 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 10

Back to top Go down

New behaviour Empty Re: New behaviour

Post by Guest Fri Jun 21 2013, 13:42

I cant really advise much Karen only that it is a phase as you said and just staying firm and consistent. I find totally ignoring was the best way as they hate no human interaction and also its not getting your attention as if its a game. Sorry I cant be of much help. Keep at it though:D

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Jun 21 2013, 13:51

I know this isn't really much help but we also have a leather sofa that Rocky is constantly jumping onto for a cuddle on our lap. The sofa looks none the worse for wear, if Rocky has wet paws after in from the garden we just give it a wipe down with a damp cloth and it's fine again.

If you are conserned about him scratching the sofa why not try a cover or a throw on it, if you cannot stop him jumping onto it that is.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Fri Jun 21 2013, 21:28

It sounds like your doing all the right things, be consistent with his training and what you allow.

p.s I have leather sofa's too and cover one with throws so Daisy can come up for cuddles! I have managed to teach her that she is allowed on the one with throws but not on the other one!
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 21 2013, 21:32

It's sounds like all normal puppy behaviour, just stick with your training Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wrigley Wed Jul 17 2013, 04:36

How is the couch training going these days? Have you solved the issue?

Is Colin just trying to protect his perceived "turf"? Maybe ignoring him might work? Or cuddle together on the couch instead to de-fuse the situation? Or tempt him off the couch with a treat rather than by force.  No one likes being forced to do anything.  (Just suggestions, I'm no expert!)

Wrigley likes to get on top of any mounds of seaweed or dirt cliffs etc and "protect" it- I'm the king of the castle type stuff.  Luckily only playfully at this stage but I've gone from oh that's so cute, to whoa perhaps I better not encourage it in case he escalates. Sadly I gave up on keeping him off the couch, he just loves a cuddle too much to say no.
Wrigley
Wrigley

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Wrigley
Dog(s) Ages : DOB 26/02/13
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Florence Mon Jul 22 2013, 18:22

KarenGoodall wrote:when we tell him no and tell him to get down he is jerking away from us so that we can't reach him to get him down and when we do manage to get him we have to watch for him snapping at us. Before getting down off the sofa, he
is growling, barking and baring his teeth and showing the whites of his eyes and ears flat back.  

He is showing a lot of stress and fear signs so I think you should change the method of training. He probably feels threatened by you trying to grab him, scolding him and telling him off. He's only a baby, please remember that. If he's that stressed that he shows all theses signs, his brain won't be able to learn anything, as it has shut down the learning section of it. Instead he will see you as someone threatening. Those early signs of aggression can get worse if you are not careful.

I would stop 'telling him off' and start rewarding the wanted behaviour more. For example you can give him an alternative option. When he displays the unwanted behaviour (jumping up on sofa, scratching on sofa) tell him to sit. If he sits down nicely, immediately shower him with attention. If he doesnt and he keeps jumping up etc. simply ignore him. Leave the room if necessary, he will find it so boring he will soon learn that the way to get cuddles is through good behaviour (sitting down nicely when you want something).

Other questions I have are, what are you feeding him and how many times a day and for how long to you walk him? He might have pent up energy or be overstimulated..

Florence
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ella
Dog(s) Ages : 3.5
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content