fighting puppies. dominance or play? when do i stop them?

2 posters

Go down

fighting puppies. dominance or play? when do i stop them? Empty fighting puppies. dominance or play? when do i stop them?

Post by sarahvallie1 Fri Nov 09 2012, 15:08

ok, so im new, and i have been reading a few of the posts, and have already implemented theplay interruption for obedience training.
my real issue is that the two boys are rough playing with each other. Its usually ok, but every now and then it escalates into a snarly vicious sounding thing. I put it down to they are both vocal fighters, and both entire males until the 29th. Mack is a submissive fella, and usually gives, but Keegan is so invested in the game that he doesn't stop after the submission. Sometimes Bella steps in to take the attention away from mack, but mostly he's left to suffer it, unless i do something about it.

As far as i can gather from my ( admitedly limited) research, Keegan will just be a little more bull headed about training, playing etc. I don't know whether i should make more interventions or not. What sways my mind about the intervening is that when i call Keegan off, Mack wil sneak up behing him and start the rough housing again, usually with a neck bite. what do you guys think?

Might i just add though, in praise of my babies, they are absolutely bomb proof around my children. My 10 month old is teething and every now and again i catch her chomping on the boys ears... they act like it's part of life, and don't seem bothered at all. And she is welcome to eat from all my dogs bowls with them.
( I have been teaching the kids not to go near strange dogs bowls while they are eating, but our dogs are learning/ have learned that their food and toys belong to me, the people in the house are second to me and they may eat/ play with our things if we allow it... it just saves biting/ food aggression later down the line)

sarahvallie1
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Keegs, Bella
Dog(s) Ages : 4 mo, 16 mo
Dog Gender(s) : male, female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

fighting puppies. dominance or play? when do i stop them? Empty Re: fighting puppies. dominance or play? when do i stop them?

Post by Tessa Fri Nov 09 2012, 15:20

Welcome Smile

I don't know how you do 2 puppies of that age together... I have one that age and he's a handful by himself!

One of the more experienced posters should be along eventually, I can't say that I have the best advice to offer.

But from what I've read, staffies tend to play hard. They will tell each other what is okay and what is too much. Especially if he's instigating more play, I'm sure he's just fine.
Tessa
Tessa
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Amado
Dog(s) Ages : 16 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

https://www.facebook.com/amado.richardson

Back to top Go down

fighting puppies. dominance or play? when do i stop them? Empty Re: fighting puppies. dominance or play? when do i stop them?

Post by Guest Fri Nov 09 2012, 15:31

If you could see my two playing then you wouldn't worry i've had people really worried asking me if they are actually fighting and why i leave them to it.

Staffs and bull breeds tend to be very vocal players and sound like there going to kill each other Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by sarahvallie1 Fri Nov 09 2012, 18:36

ok, i will leave them to it. they are buddy buddy most of the time.
i really dont know how it happened, except that i am a sucker for dogs.
First Staffy breed i have owned though, and he's a lot like his daddy ( pure staff) looking forward to his teens Smile

sarahvallie1

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Keegs, Bella
Dog(s) Ages : 4 mo, 16 mo
Dog Gender(s) : male, female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 09 2012, 18:37

As was said, they tend to play rough and make a lot of wild sounds. Personally, I'd let them to it; they'll let each other know when they've had enough. Unless it's obvious that it's getting out of hand, then just take the more playful one away for a moment to calm down, and then get back to it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down