+3
janey
astubliffhacked
emmalouise_1982
7 posters

Go down

Smile puppy vs laser pen

Post by emmalouise_1982 Sat Nov 03 2012, 23:11

been having so much fun with my puppy tonight just got a laser pen and been tornmenting her with it lol ive been rolling on the floor xx
emmalouise_1982
emmalouise_1982
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : jess
Dog(s) Ages : 12 wks
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Smile Re: puppy vs laser pen

Post by Guest Sat Nov 03 2012, 23:13

shouldn't have to tell you but watch her eyes with it , and is it a green light laser or a red light laser, the green is very powerful to the eyes and much more harmful (sorry to be boring but it's what I do)

Back to top Go down

Post by emmalouise_1982 Sat Nov 03 2012, 23:22

its ok Big Grin ohh i didnt know tht Sad its a blue one ive just been shining it on walls x

Last edited by emmalouise_1982 on Sat Nov 03 2012, 23:28; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : miss spelt)
emmalouise_1982
emmalouise_1982

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 03 2012, 23:25

that's fine just make sure it doesn't get shone directly into her eyes, it can be great fun if used sensibly , I work with Lasers that cut holes in 1 " steel plate so know the effect they can have

Back to top Go down

Post by astubliffhacked Sat Nov 03 2012, 23:27

bit of a difference with plasma and pen lasers but yes, direct into the eyes a big no no, i'm sure emma knew this. Big Grin
astubliffhacked
astubliffhacked
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Noah
Dog(s) Ages : 21 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by emmalouise_1982 Sat Nov 03 2012, 23:37

no i would never do it staright into there eyes. Smile happy x
emmalouise_1982
emmalouise_1982

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Smile re re pen lasers

Post by janey Sat Nov 03 2012, 23:48

Ha ha, I must get one, can get Moo to chase shadows, but a laser would great! Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 03 2012, 23:54

emmalouise_1982 wrote:its ok Big Grin ohh i didnt know tht Sad its a blue one ive just been shining it on walls x

astubliffhacked wrote:bit of a difference with plasma and pen lasers but yes, direct into the eyes a big no no, i'm sure emma knew this. Big Grin

There is a massive difference between plasma and pen lasers , mainly because plasma (I assume you mean plasma cutters) and laser are 2 totally different things, other than using the generation of plasma during 1 laser cutting technique as the process. If you read my post astubliffhacked you will see I work with Lasers and not Plasma , maybe you realise there is a difference Big Grin

and regarding the members post forgive me if I'm wrong but it says above she didn't know this so I was merely pointing out the safety hazards , not everybody can know everything Wink

and a bit of boring information

a blue light laser pointer is generally manufactured the same method as a green light laser pointer which under current classification makes it a Laser safety class 3B product

Class 3b & 4

The unprotected human eye is extremely sensitive to laser radiation and can be permanently damaged from direct or reflected beams. Maximal care should be taken to provide protection to all persons working with high powered lasers by providing protective eyewear, as well as adequate engineering and administrative controls. For further information, refer to OSEH's Laser Safety Guideline.

It is quite common for people to misjudge the effect because it is "just" a laser pointer

Back to top Go down

Post by astubliffhacked Sun Nov 04 2012, 00:10

yes dave, i have installed laser cutters at british steel/corus plants before, and indeed they are without doubt a million miles away from the key ring fob lasers....
astubliffhacked
astubliffhacked

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Smile Lasers and Laser pointers

Post by Guest Sun Nov 04 2012, 00:16

astubliffhacked wrote:yes dave, i have installed laser cutters at british steel/corus plants before, and indeed they are without doubt a million miles away from the key ring fob lasers....

Cool , so you are a laser engineer too eh , may I ask what company

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 04 2012, 00:56

Suki doesn't really pay attention to hers. She will go after the one holding the laser

Back to top Go down

Smile Laser stuff

Post by astubliffhacked Sun Nov 04 2012, 01:02

wheres my replies gone???
astubliffhacked
astubliffhacked

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 04 2012, 06:24

I read that it's one of those things that some dogs can get very obsessed about, so just watch her behaviour afterwards to make sure it's not having any bad effects Smile. My old dog used to chase his shadow, a torch light, his reflection, anything Laughing very fun.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 04 2012, 08:24

astubliffhacked wrote:bit of a difference with plasma and pen lasers but yes, direct into the eyes a big no no, i'm sure emma knew this. Big Grin

Dave wrote:
emmalouise_1982 wrote:its ok Big Grin ohh i didnt know tht Sad its a blue one ive just been shining it on walls x

There is a massive difference between plasma and pen lasers , mainly because plasma (I assume you mean plasma cutters) and laser are 2 totally different things, other than using the generation of plasma during 1 laser cutting technique as the process. If you read my post astubliffhacked you will see I work with Lasers and not Plasma , maybe you realise there is a difference Big Grin

and regarding the members post forgive me if I'm wrong but it says above she didn't know this so I was merely pointing out the safety hazards , not everybody can know everything Wink

It is quite common for people to misjudge the effect because it is "just" a laser pointer

astubliffhacked wrote:yes dave, i have installed laser cutters at british steel/corus plants before, and indeed they are without doubt a million miles away from the key ring fob lasers....

Dave wrote:

astubliffhacked wrote:wheres my replies gone???

Sorry astubliffhacked , that was me , as I was advising of the dangers of Laser pointers and you seem experienced with your knowledge of Lasers I was taking the conversation in a different direction and didn't want to hijack the post but then you dissapeared, it's easy to lose track of the changes when the posting rate is so high on here.
All posts back now and we can leave the conversation to laser pointers here Wink .

However I have made a new post about Lasers if you fancy a chat there as it seems to be both of our fields, always interesting to find out we have some people with common interests and knowledge other than the obvious 4 legged one Smile

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t26377-attention-astubliffhacked-re-lasers#379161

Back to top Go down

Post by mickgill Sun Nov 04 2012, 09:25

Personally i don't agree with Dogs or Puppys chasing these sort of things it's been said mind the eyes of course but my the mind as well in my opinion, its fine teaching a puppy to chase a ball and bring it back to hand but chasing something it can not possible catch is not good , it will frustrate the pup , it could lead to chasing cars bikes or anything that moves really , and make training a whole lot more difficult .

Sorry to sound on a downer about it but it is something i can not agree with .
mickgill
mickgill

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Support total : 222

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 04 2012, 09:43

its a fair comment mick and just goes to show everyone is entitled to an opinion thats what the forum is here for thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve.Sanders Sun Nov 04 2012, 10:02

great idea lol.. gotta get one now Big Grin
Steve.Sanders
Steve.Sanders

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Koda
Dog(s) Ages : 30/07/2012
Support total : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by mickgill Sun Nov 04 2012, 11:17

Dave wrote:its a fair comment mick and just goes to show everyone is entitled to an opinion thats what the forum is here for thumbs up
Thanks Dave i just worry than when the dog is a bit older and out for a walk a car goes past indicates to turn left, the dog see's the indicator and gives chase, same on a clear day a plane high in the sky the dogs spots what it thinks is a light and gives chase .

Here is what a vet thinks .

Gary Landsberg on 06/19/2006 4:28:19 PM ET wrote: There is certainly some evidence that dogs that go through intense games of laser or light chasing can develop a repetitive disorder and over-responsiveness with respect to shadows or lights, which may be a result of goal frustration - in other words constant chasing with no ultimate reinforcement. Dogs that get a reward at the end of the chase (e.g. Food, chew toy) and dogs that tire of the chase on their own may be less likely to develop a compulsive disorder but may certainly learn the light chasing "game" with other lights. Cats may develop similar problems but seem (to me at least) to be less likely to do so, because most cats tire of chase games before the owners.

Gary Landsberg BSc, DVM, DipACVB (Behavior)
MJ Mulholland, DVM, JD, MS, MA, CPDT, CTC
mickgill
mickgill

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months
Support total : 222

Back to top Go down

Post by julespercules Sun Nov 04 2012, 21:09

My dog loves it and it really tires her out.
julespercules
julespercules
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
puppy vs laser pen  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : tash
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by astubliffhacked Sun Nov 04 2012, 21:31

Dave wrote:

i'm a spark dave, i just installed it.
astubliffhacked
astubliffhacked

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 04 2012, 21:55

Personally, I hate the things. A friend of my son's shone one of these laser light thingies a few months ago around our pup and he went mad for it. All very funny haha. But it was frantic and not comfortable for me to see.

I have since heard of dogs (not necessarily Staffs, in fact Border Collies) who have been driven mad by these lights and become obsessed with chasing lights, for example reflected off of watches or jewellery.

Do we need to add more stress into our dogs' lives for our entertainment?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 04 2012, 23:02

new Staffy owner wrote:Personally, I hate the things. A friend of my son's shone one of these laser light thingies a few months ago around our pup and he went mad for it. All very funny haha. But it was frantic and not comfortable for me to see.

I have since heard of dogs (not necessarily Staffs, in fact Border Collies) who have been driven mad by these lights and become obsessed with chasing lights, for example reflected off of watches or jewellery.

Do we need to add more stress into our dogs' lives for our entertainment?

Yeah, that's my problem with it. A woman I know from America has an APBT, and one of her nephews messed around with the dog with one of those laser-pointer things, and the dog was looking around for it for a while afterwards and wouldn't settle down, his behaviour was bad for a couple of days when he's usually well-behaved. Obviously most dogs will be fine, but no harm in just keeping an eye on how the dog responds to it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 04 2012, 23:27

Thank you Tara

I think these things drive our dogs nuts and shouldn't be allowed around dogs.

End of.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 05 2012, 07:38

astubliffhacked wrote:
Dave wrote:

i'm a spark dave, i just installed it.

OK makes sense then , you've just seen the machine and connected it up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 05 2012, 07:40

Dave wrote:that's fine just make sure it doesn't get shone directly into her eyes, it can be great fun if used sensibly , I work with Lasers that cut holes in 1 " steel plate so know the effect they can have

Just for the record I think based on later facts which I was unaware off regarding tormenting the dogs I want to retract my comment as wreckless , sorry everyone . I can see exactly where people are coming from here about chasing reflections and headlights etc Straight Face

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Mon Nov 05 2012, 13:09

I agree with Mick, I have seen people doing this to their dogs and I don't think its at all fair. The dog can never catch the laser and it is just going to make them feel anxious and frustrated. I know lots of people that do play with lasers with their dogs and cats but its not something I would encourage. It is just unneeded erratic behaviour. Everyone to their own though, I think its a personal choice.
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com