What's your thoughts on this Purple Poppies

+3
PygmyParrot
Kathy
janey
7 posters

Go down

What's your thoughts on this Purple Poppies Empty What's your thoughts on this Purple Poppies

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01 2012, 16:11

Just come across this and think its a bit sad that people may feel like this Sad

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Animal-wreath-shouldn-t-laid-Truro-Remembrance/story-17168208-detail/story.html

Back to top Go down

What's your thoughts on this Purple Poppies Empty Re: What's your thoughts on this Purple Poppies

Post by janey Thu Nov 01 2012, 16:19

I think its a little sad that people would offended, but not all people understand the bond between a human and a dog Sad
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

What's your thoughts on this Purple Poppies Empty Re: What's your thoughts on this Purple Poppies

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01 2012, 17:18

I don't really see why people would be offended. Death is death, and someone loved the animals that died and put the effort into training them, so don't see the harm in remembering them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01 2012, 17:23

I think it's down right stupid for anyone to be offended, it's a remembrance day whatever, so what does it matter who individuals want to remember angry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01 2012, 17:37

ella wrote:I think it's down right stupid for anyone to be offended, it's a remembrance day whatever, so what does it matter who individuals want to remember angry

Well that was my thought Ella , it's to remember the fallen and to make such a statement is ridiculous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01 2012, 18:54

Yes, remember the dead. Where does it say that we should only remember human casualties?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01 2012, 19:08

I'm a bit dissapointed as until the other day I didn't know about the purple poppies and had a look online today as Jenny has been on at me to get some but I can't find any round here. You would have thought that the Pet shops and PAH etc would have grasped the opportunity. And I know another thing , none of my relations or wife's relations that fought in the war would have thought it was disrespectful for laying a purple wreath in memory of the fallen animals

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Nov 01 2012, 19:12

Last year I put a poppy on Rocky harness for remembrance day and we didnt receive any strange comments, I was half expecting some though.

How could anyone be offended by the purple wreath, I'm sure even the queen would not object to it.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by PygmyParrot Thu Nov 01 2012, 19:42

Oh god when will humans get over themselves!!! mad

PygmyParrot
PygmyParrot

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Dexter
Dog(s) Ages : 3 approx
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 100

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01 2012, 19:59

I think people who are offended are usually the ones who have absolutely nothing to do with the war. They are just jumping on a band wagon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01 2012, 20:00

I've never heard of these purple poppies, but I think it's right that people remember that "they also served" - dogs and horses in particular.

As a former horse owner, I always feel awful when I remember how many horses were stolen from their owners by the military to serve in WW1, and they were mown down in their hundreds. Those who loved their horses will be gone now too, but they should not be forgotten.

I personally think people might be concerned that remembering the animal casualties of war will overshadow the honouring of the human casualities, but in reality that couldn't happen.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01 2012, 20:05

Poppy day is something that I always remember and so do the kids , that's the way I've brought them up, I really don't see how animals can overshadow it but it would be nice that they can take part in it . Bet some of these old bots have some great stories to tell about animals that have saved their lives

Back to top Go down

Post by PygmyParrot Thu Nov 01 2012, 20:19

What's your thoughts on this Purple Poppies Stephen-fry-on-offence

Yep.
PygmyParrot
PygmyParrot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01 2012, 20:20

Laughing Like that

Back to top Go down

Post by kelpie Thu Nov 01 2012, 20:27

The Dickin Medals were awarded to honor animals who served in the war... It's an outrage that they should be denied a wreath and a moment of our thoughts (they'll get that anyway!) at a time of remembrance. With out their brave courage it could have been so different.
kelpie
kelpie
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
What's your thoughts on this Purple Poppies Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rolo
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 years old
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01 2012, 20:29

kelpie wrote:The Dickin Medals were awarded to honor animals who served in the war... It's an outrage that they should be denied a wreath and a moment of our thoughts (they'll get that anyway!) at a time of remembrance. With out their brave courage it could have been so different.

Good bit of info , thankyou

Back to top Go down

Post by pongy Thu Nov 01 2012, 20:29

Its funny because my cousin who is with the british army bomb disposal says his dog hero has saved his life and wants to be buried together.How can a forces animal wether horse ,dog or rabbit being remembered be an insult
pongy
pongy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Prefer to not say
Dogs Name(s) : cassie
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years (we think)
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 163

Back to top Go down

Post by kelpie Thu Nov 01 2012, 20:32

I've always loved some of the stories of the brave animals, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dickin_Medal

Smile
You're welcome.
kelpie
kelpie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by pongy Thu Nov 01 2012, 20:33

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/howaboutthat/9634169/Recipients-of-the-PDSAs-Dickin-Medal-the-animal-version-of-the-Victoria-Cross.html#?frame=2379371
each and everyone deserves to be remembered
pongy
pongy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Prefer to not say
Dogs Name(s) : cassie
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years (we think)
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 163

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01 2012, 20:36

dave742 wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/howaboutthat/9634169/Recipients-of-the-PDSAs-Dickin-Medal-the-animal-version-of-the-Victoria-Cross.html#?frame=2379371
each and everyone deserves to be remembered

Says it all really doesn't it Sad

What's your thoughts on this Purple Poppies Dickin-summary_2379362k

Back to top Go down

Post by kelpie Thu Nov 01 2012, 20:37

That's it precisely
kelpie
kelpie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by PygmyParrot Thu Nov 01 2012, 20:38

Some amazing stories, and amazing animals. I welled up reading through those.
PygmyParrot
PygmyParrot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01 2012, 20:44

Just doing a little more digging and somebody has actually set up a FB group "purple poppies is a disgrace" it has 12 members, pretty much sums it up I think .......................

Back to top Go down

Post by PygmyParrot Thu Nov 01 2012, 20:46

Argh just found it. Are they insane? Why can't animals be remembered and paid respect. I don't understand!!!!!
PygmyParrot
PygmyParrot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01 2012, 20:49

PygmyParrot wrote:Argh just found it. Are they insane? Why can't animals be remembered and paid respect. I don't understand!!!!!

12 members is a fell flat on its * group Rach , might try setting up a page for Purple poppies but don't know how to do it, crap on FB

Back to top Go down

Post by PygmyParrot Thu Nov 01 2012, 20:53

Well thank christ for that, still do not get how it could even come into existence, I despair. But 12 idiots and a failed fb group does not a majority make so thats something.
PygmyParrot
PygmyParrot

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01 2012, 22:17

Too many people try and tell us what will offend other people in this country. When the world cup was on people in Blackburn was told they could not fly a st georges flag as it may offend muslims. Absoulte rubbish. They even tried to tell a muslim taxi driver to remove his flag from his taxi as it may offend muslims, he laughed and said I am muslim but still was told to remove it. Never spoke to 1 muslim who was offended by the flags.
I have a feeling if the famlies were given the chance to express their views the wreath would be welcomed

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 02 2012, 01:46

PygmyParrot wrote:Argh just found it. Are they insane? Why can't animals be remembered and paid respect. I don't understand!!!!!

I think it's just people who have nothing to do with any wars that'd feel that way. Like how some of the most outspoken, opinionated people about a certain cause aren't doing anything for that cause. It's probably just that it's a hierarchy of life-forms; humans are at the top, the most superior, the greatest value on life, etc., and everything else is below them. So to those people (presumably those that don't like or own dogs), honouring animals the same way you'd honour people is offensive.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 02 2012, 02:56

Dave wrote:
ella wrote:I think it's down right stupid for anyone to be offended, it's a remembrance day whatever, so what does it matter who individuals want to remember angry

Well that was my thought Ella , it's to remember the fallen and to make such a statement is ridiculous

Exactly what does it matter if they are human or animal?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 02 2012, 09:03

BlueStaffBlue wrote:Too many people try and tell us what will offend other people in this country. When the world cup was on people in Blackburn was told they could not fly a st georges flag as it may offend muslims. Absoulte rubbish. They even tried to tell a muslim taxi driver to remove his flag from his taxi as it may offend muslims, he laughed and said I am muslim but still was told to remove it. Never spoke to 1 muslim who was offended by the flags.
I have a feeling if the famlies were given the chance to express their views the wreath would be welcomed

Agreed Blue and this is exactly the kind of reason this country suffers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 02 2012, 09:11

BlueStaffBlue wrote:Too many people try and tell us what will offend other people in this country. When the world cup was on people in Blackburn was told they could not fly a st georges flag as it may offend muslims. Absoulte rubbish. They even tried to tell a muslim taxi driver to remove his flag from his taxi as it may offend muslims, he laughed and said I am muslim but still was told to remove it. Never spoke to 1 muslim who was offended by the flags.

Unfortunately it's a little different around here. We also have a high Muslim population, and to be fair, most of them are great - decent people who just want to get on with their lives the same as everybody else. But there are a few that are deeply resentful of the selling of poppies. One lady whose child went to school with my two told me it was because they were excluded! I told her that was nonsense & that the poppies symbolise all the casualties of war. She thanked me for being 'nice', but she wasn't convinced.

Two years ago the old soldiers who regularly sell poppies outside Morrisons were attacked by a group of Muslims - they were punched, kicked & all the goods they were selling were sent scattering all over the car park. By the time the police arrived they'd gone, but the police said that if they pursued it too hard they'd be acused of racism!

This year they are selling the poppies inside the store & have a security guard with them.

What is the world coming to?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 02 2012, 09:27

I am about to say something quite controversial and I apologise if it upsets anyone . This country is British and we have our traditions and ways , St George's Day , Remembrance Day etc , that all can offend other religions etc . It remains a fact that people chose to live in our country whatever the reasons and however many years ago and they must also learn to accept our ways.
How long would we last going to a muslim country and trying to ram our beliefs down their throats and telling them that we were offended by their traditions.
It's not just about muslims as there are many other instances so please don't take me out of context anyone , it's just a very good example

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Fri Nov 02 2012, 09:28

This is Cornwall that we're talking about guys Laughing I grew up in Truro and they kick off about this stuff all of the time, they have very little else to think of.. hense why I left Laughing Everything is about 10 years behind there, and there's still a lot of old school racism, sexism and homophobia amongst other things floating about. God forbid that you ever care for an animal as much as a human Surprised

My best friend is fighting in Afghanistan at the moment and I know that she and many other soldiers support the purple poppies..
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 02 2012, 09:32

Rachel33 wrote:This is Cornwall that we're talking about guys Laughing I grew up in Truro and they kick off about this stuff all of the time, they have very little else to think of.. hense why I left Laughing Everything is about 10 years behind there, and there's still a lot of old school racism, sexism and homophobia amongst other things floating about. God forbid that you ever care for an animal as much as a human Surprised

My best friend is fighting in Afghanistan at the moment and I know that she and many other soldiers support the purple poppies..

Maybe we should be funding a cause to send everyone from Cornwall into Bristol or somewhere for a day trip so they can experience a bit of the real world Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 02 2012, 09:33

Rachel33 wrote:This is Cornwall that we're talking about guys Laughing I grew up in Truro and they kick off about this stuff all of the time, they have very little else to think of.. hense why I left Laughing Everything is about 10 years behind there, and there's still a lot of old school racism, sexism and homophobia amongst other things floating about. God forbid that you ever care for an animal as much as a human Surprised

I know this is in Cornwall, but it (and similar things) happen all through the country. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 02 2012, 10:14

Agree with what Dave is saying, it doesn't make you a racist or an intolerant person to say that people who are offended by people celebrating their culture or heritage should learn to accept things. There are many people in the UK who are proud to be British, and are also proud of any other cultures that makes up their identity. When all is said and done, I think the people that shout the loudest about things being offensive are the ones who are just too narrow-minded to accept anything other than what they think. Animals may not have as big an impact in wars as people have, but they've saved lives and contributed to helping people, so why not give them respect?

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Fri Nov 02 2012, 10:35

Dave wrote:I am about to say something quite controversial and I apologise if it upsets anyone . This country is British and we have our traditions and ways , St George's Day , Remembrance Day etc , that all can offend other religions etc . It remains a fact that people chose to live in our country whatever the reasons and however many years ago and they must also learn to accept our ways.
How long would we last going to a muslim country and trying to ram our beliefs down their throats and telling them that we were offended by their traditions.
It's not just about muslims as there are many other instances so please don't take me out of context anyone , it's just a very good example

Well said! and do not ever apologise cos its fact!
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Fri Nov 02 2012, 10:36

And if I find a purple poppy in the shops, I will buy one for Pixee along with the red ones we always buy. Humans and animals have been in the war, both deserve respect.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 02 2012, 10:52

ANattyRat wrote: Animals may not have as big an impact in wars as people have, but they've saved lives and contributed to helping people, so why not give them respect?

thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down