is my puppy hates walking...?

3 posters

Go down

is my puppy hates walking...? Empty is my puppy hates walking...?

Post by Roca Sun Oct 28 2012, 20:18

Hi!

I started to take my puppy outside, but she seems to hate it. Every time I take her outside she doesnt want to walk and pulls the lead... I try to take her out 4-5 times a day. Is the weather not good for her (too cold, too wet?) ??? There is a big field (about 5 min. drive) where shes got a big fun, but i cant take her there few times every day... is anybody had this problem ??? Rolling Eyes
Roca
Roca
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Roca
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

is my puppy hates walking...? Empty Re: is my puppy hates walking...?

Post by janey Sun Oct 28 2012, 20:32

How old is she now? Have you tried leaving her lead and collar on in the house so gets used to it, or a little jumper? I know Moo feels the cold and is much better when she has a coat on, and there is little point taking Moo out in the rain either! Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 28 2012, 20:40

Shes maybe just not used to the lead and collar. As Jane said leave them on, and if shes small enough, you might want to pick her up and walk to the end of the street then set her down and she will walk home. I think as she gets bigger she will find her indipendance more and enjoy it more

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 29 2012, 03:37

How long are the walks? I ask because four or five walks a day might be a bit much for her if they're long-ish walks, so maybe that could be why. If not that, then she probably just needs to get used to it more. Loki used to sit randomly and refuse to walk, so we'd call him to us and give him a treat, and eventually he just got used to it. He hates the cold, wind and rain though, so we got him a waterproof coat. Could be that she's being fussy and not wanting to go out in the cold weather.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 29 2012, 08:38

Tilly was a nightmare getting started but we eventually got there with her , at their size it's a big scarey world, lots of encouragement and treats plus yes keep the collar and lead on around the house to acclimatise

Back to top Go down

Post by Roca Mon Oct 29 2012, 18:16

shes 14 weeks old and i take her out for about 15 minutes (mornings) to 30-45 minutes (evenings) mainly 3-4 times on weekdays and 4-5 times on weekends. Is that too often and too long walks for her?

Before we started walking outside I did train her at home. After 3 days of training she was so happy when she seen a harness cos she known she`d get a treat. When I try to put a harness after she started to walk shes barking and whining at it...

She shakes a little sometimes, but im not sure she feels cold or shes scared...
Im thinking to buy a warm waterproof coat for her.
Roca
Roca

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Roca
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Oct 29 2012, 18:53

It's usually advised 5 minutes for every month of age, so for a 14 week old puppy 15-20 minutes walk at a time. 30-45 minutes is probably a bit too much yet for one walk. A warm coat would be a good idea for when its chilly outside, as Staffys have quite thin coats anyway especially on their belly's. The shaking could just be a way of getting rid of stress.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 29 2012, 19:11

Roca wrote:shes 14 weeks old and i take her out for about 15 minutes (mornings) to 30-45 minutes (evenings) mainly 3-4 times on weekdays and 4-5 times on weekends. Is that too often and too long walks for her?

Before we started walking outside I did train her at home. After 3 days of training she was so happy when she seen a harness cos she known she`d get a treat. When I try to put a harness after she started to walk shes barking and whining at it...

She shakes a little sometimes, but im not sure she feels cold or shes scared...
Im thinking to buy a warm waterproof coat for her.

kathytake2 wrote:It's usually advised 5 minutes for every month of age, so for a 14 week old puppy 15-20 minutes walk at a time. 30-45 minutes is probably a bit too much yet for one walk. A warm coat would be a good idea for when its chilly outside, as Staffys have quite thin coats anyway especially on their belly's. The shaking could just be a way of getting rid of stress.

Just to clarify in addition to Kathy's post , 4 -5 times a day is too many and certainly 30-45 mins each time. However , I would say 5 mins per month and max 3 times per day but what you can do is extend that time with off lead play, so 10 mins there and 10 mins back and another 15 min or so of off lead play is fine as she can stop whenever she wants and play at her own pace. If you can't let her off lead then get a long training lead so she has some freedom , you can let this drag behind on the floor but can still grab it and reel her in if need be, good time to get on with recall too Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down