Car sick

3 posters

Go down

Car sick Empty Car sick

Post by reuben Sat Oct 27 2012, 09:58

Poor Bacchus suffers terribly from car sickness. The minute we drive off he drools buckets and is eventually sick, even on short journeys. I've a feeling it's stress rather than motion sickness so have been putting him in his crate in the car with some treats and staying with him while he eats them to try to make it a "nice" place. Hoping to wean him on to short journeys ( round the block etc.) but unfortunately we have a long journey to Glasgow this coming Friday.

Will he grow out of this?

Would it be worth getting something from the vet?

Any suggestions?

Last time someone suggested ginger, but how do I administer it?
reuben
reuben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down

Car sick Empty Re: Car sick

Post by Guest Sat Oct 27 2012, 10:06

Have you thought about trying a Thundershirt Reuben , very good results in a lot of dogs for anxiety. There are other things on the market also that are available from vets etc for calming , but the ginger is to help motion sickness and you don't think this is the cause so bnot sure it would help you. However you can get ginger biscuits and use them for trying , I think Kathy recommends them from the health food shop for the sugar content.

Tilly was a terrible traveller when we first got her but she's slowly got better and I think more confident since Tommy came along. When Tilly was little we would always have one of us travel on the back seat with her to comfort and reassure her and that helped a lot too

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Oct 27 2012, 13:15

We have ginger chews in the car all the time just in case. We do get these small boxes of ginger chews from our local healthfood store. We can just give Rocky as small amount of one, which is OK:

http://www.healthstuff.co.uk/Models.aspx?ModelID=2447&gclid=CL6Gq_yVobMCFaTMtAod1CQARw
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Sat Oct 27 2012, 13:30

Bailey was the exact same! I just took him short trips, maybe 2minute worth of driving then back out and over a period of a few weeks upped the time as he got more used to it, now the longest he can go is 1-2hours!

He doesn't get to look out the window either which seemed to help, he either sits in the boot, the footwell or if he's on the seat he lies down!

Even get him used to the car by getting him in it and giving a treat or 2 so he associates it with good stuff! Bailey used to pull on the lead to get away from the car, now he's used to it he pulls to get in and jumps in himself fine lol Big Grin
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by reuben Sat Oct 27 2012, 13:54

Dave wrote:Have you thought about trying a Thundershirt Reuben , very good results in a lot of dogs for anxiety. There are other things on the market also that are available from vets etc for calming , but the ginger is to help motion sickness and you don't think this is the cause so bnot sure it would help you. However you can get ginger biscuits and use them for trying , I think Kathy recommends them from the health food shop for the sugar content.

Tilly was a terrible traveller when we first got her but she's slowly got better and I think more confident since Tommy came along. When Tilly was little we would always have one of us travel on the back seat with her to comfort and reassure her and that helped a lot too

Hi Dave, have tried the reassurance bit, even sitting on the OHs knee, so it may be a combination of both stress and motion sickness. I have ordered some Ginger Chews and will give it a try. Also treats in a motionless car and short, round the block trips.

PS
re your enquiry about his general wellbeing, I have answered you on the " Bacchus first snow topic". Cheers.
reuben
reuben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bacchus ( The Wee Man )
Dog(s) Ages : Born 18/07/12
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 166

Back to top Go down