+2
zoe2004
taggie
6 posters

Go down

Advice on working full time Empty Advice on working full time

Post by taggie Fri Sep 14 2012, 12:20

Hi everyone,

Just wonder any of you leave your staffy at home while working full time? How do you arrange dog walks during day when you are away? Do you think they are happy to be alone most of the day? Is it better if they have company (i.e. another playmate). How much do you pay for dog walking service?

Many thanks in advance,
taggie
taggie
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Peso
Dog Gender(s) : M
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Advice on working full time Empty Re: Advice on working full time

Post by Guest Fri Sep 14 2012, 12:25

Hi & Advice on working full time Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Advice on working full time Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Advice on working full time Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Advice on working full time Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Advice on working full time Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
Advice on working full time Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Advice on working full time Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
Advice on working full time Icon_arrow Make a Donation to help us to keep improving our forum and website.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 14 2012, 12:28

Hi and welcome from us and Suki. It all really depends on the dog. If it is still a pup I would recommend a dog walker or friend come over and keep him exercised. They are okay alone if they are given the time to slowly adapt and build up to it and are exercised properly before being left.

We leave Suki for 6-8 hours at a time and she is quite happy as long as she is walked and feed ahead of time. When I've left mine any longer than that I've always had someone pop in and take them for a walk.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 14 2012, 12:32

Hi & welcome.

taggie wrote:How do you arrange dog walks during day when you are away?

I don't personally leave my dog at home because I'm lucky enough to be able to take him with me, but there are members here who don't have that luxury! Most people ask a friend or relative to come in at least once during the day to walk the dog and play with it, but some pay for a professional dog walker. One of our Admin staff, Janey, has a very good working arrangement with a dog walker & no doubt she'll be able to tell you roughly what the cost is.

taggie wrote: Do you think they are happy to be alone most of the day? Is it better if they have company (i.e. another playmate).

Of course they would much rather have company 24 hours a day, but this isn't always possible. As to a companion, yours looks, from your avatar, to be a pup? If that's the case, then I'd wait to get another dog until yours is probably around 18 months/2 years old - otherwise you could come home to your house ripped to shreds from an over enthusiastic playtime!

If yours is a pup, then be prepared for him/her to have accidents if they are left for more than a couple of hours at a time.

Back to top Go down

Post by zoe2004 Fri Sep 14 2012, 12:36

Benson (14weeks) is left alone but with me working full time, bf working shifts and parents working part time, his only usually on his own for about 3 hours a day if everyone is at work, so not everyday. But he seems fine he just catches up on his sleep Laughing
zoe2004
zoe2004
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Benson
Dog(s) Ages : 03/06/12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by asa-james Fri Sep 14 2012, 13:39

Lola is typically left for around five hours before I pop home at lunch, then a couple of hours in the afternoon. Luckily this is only three days a week most weeks. The longest I've ever left her before someone came to let her out was 6 hours, and I always plan my time, if she's at home by herself, around this figure (I'm sure she'd be fine for longer periods, all she does is sleep on her chair in the conservatory in a "very unladylike fashion" one of the neighbours has informed me Smile)
asa-james
asa-james
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 117

Back to top Go down

Post by taggie Fri Sep 14 2012, 14:08

Thanks for all your replies, I find it very helpful. My staff is 1.5 years old. He has a lot of energy.

Do you have a dog flap? Do you think they are good idea?
taggie
taggie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 14 2012, 14:15

I used to have one, but my garden in those days was ultra secure! If you have a secure garden & the neighbourhood's a good one, then they can be a good idea.

A dog flap shouldn't be used as a way of not walking the dog though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Fri Sep 14 2012, 15:24

If I have to go to the office, I drop Jellybean off at a dog sitter for £14 per day, and a dog walker would be £10 per visit, when she's ready to be left alone most of the day. As she's only just over 7 months old we have left her about 4 or 5 hours, confined to one room with her crate and bed in it if she wants to crash, along with a bunch of stuff to chew, having sufficiently bitter appled the heck out of the stuff she is NOT allowed to chew. Usually we come home to a sleepy puppy curled up in her crate or bed, of course happy to see us but usually just fine otherwise.
Girly
Girly
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Advice on working full time Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jellybean
Dog(s) Ages : born 6 Feb 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 46

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Sep 14 2012, 16:21

Hiya, I work full time and either my mum/friend/walker has her. I am lucky with my walker, its £10 p/h or £15 for 2, but my walker loves her and keeps her for the day Wink The only thing I will say with regs to walkers, make sure they are registered/crb checked (I think thats it lol) and also some walkers will not take bull breeds, sad but true Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 14 2012, 16:28

Hope you get sorted and find the best solution , my wife is at home all day and I work from home at leas 1/3 of my time so we are very lucky

and hello and welcome to the forum from me and the kids Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Taryn Fri Sep 14 2012, 21:30

for the first 9 months of romeo's life he was with me full time all the time, even at work, but at 10 months i started leaving him at home while i was a work and very slowly i let it get longer and longer. now he stays between 6-8 hours, any longer and i have a friend pop by, at least so he can pee since we live in an apartment
Taryn
Taryn

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Romeo
Dog(s) Ages : 27.09.2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 207

http://tehotassundynamiitti.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by taggie Fri Sep 14 2012, 21:45

Thanks again for the replies, it's been really helpful. I am currently a stay at home mum so my dog is getting plenty of walks and attention from me and my kids Smile I know giving him up will not be an option as all of us love Peso so much!

I am thinking more for the future when my children are a bit older (don't think it is too far from now!)

Many thanks!
taggie
taggie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down