On lead reactivity to other dogs..

4 posters

Go down

On lead reactivity to other dogs.. Empty On lead reactivity to other dogs..

Post by Rachel33 Fri Aug 31 2012, 18:52

Was wondering what your personal methods have been to deal with this behavioural complaint?

Took Biscuit to the vets to have her stitches out today, she's not been allowed any exercise for 2 weeks following her op, so i'm assuming it was due to lack of exercise and stimulation, but we were waiting outside the vets and she just exploded at another dog when he walked past, and then a further 6 after that. I mean complete meltdown, hanging off of the end of the lead, barking, lunging, lying down and then repeating. She's a big girl and the people looked terrified.

She wasn't socialized when I adopted her, but I haven't had problems like this for months! Was really unlike her and actually quite disturbing the state that she got herself into. Think it was a mix of fear and excitement, as soon as she met her doggy friend to go out walking she just trotted along beside him, but was going mad at any strange dogs walking past.

There are so many different methods that each person claims is the best way, but I really can't afford to make it any worse so need tried and tested please! Thanks Smile
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

On lead reactivity to other dogs.. Empty Re: On lead reactivity to other dogs..

Post by Guest Fri Aug 31 2012, 19:04

She is probably feeling a little unsure considering she has had a recent op and was on the way to the vets. Anxiety would also factor in her lashing out. I would stick to the basics and reassess when she is 100% back to normal health.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril baby Fri Aug 31 2012, 19:45

There could be several factors for this behaviour, not having her normal exercise, not meeting the normal dogs, etc. if she was reactive when you first got her she may possibly gone backwards.

Nobody knows Biscuit better than you do, take her back to what you used to do with her at first, she will learn quicker this time because she has already been there.

Go with your gut instinct, everyone had different ideas on how to work with dogs but they are not working with YOUR dog. When trying to work out what to do to help my dogs is ask myself, "Would I do this to a 2 year old child?" If the answer is no, I don't do it to a dog, if it is yes, I will do it to my dog, if don't know, I keep thinking.

You have done it once you can do it again. Big Grin
Cyril baby
Cyril baby
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
On lead reactivity to other dogs.. Top_ra10

Status Status :

Support total : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by munschk Fri Aug 31 2012, 19:55

Definitely agree with the above posters. It could have been a once off thing but I have been training to 'anticipate' such an event with Hiccup.

I use two methods on the rare occasions that Hiccup becomes 'excited'. The one is a practiced sit that we have done first at home till 100% success, then to the park when its quiet, then to the park when its busy to screaming children, dog shows etc. I have been able to get his attention back to me using his set exercises that he does.

The most recent method, though perhaps not 'correct', it to use a particular type of ball that Hiccup is obsessed with (a rubber junior cricket ball in this case). If Hiccup becomes fixated/hyperactive etc. all I need to do is bring out that ball and immediately Hiccup's attention will be on me. Its a useful tool now in our repertoire.
munschk
munschk
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Hiccup
Dog(s) Ages : 24 November 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 51

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril baby Fri Aug 31 2012, 20:44

munschk wrote:
The most recent method, though perhaps not 'correct', it to use a particular type of ball that Hiccup is obsessed with (a rubber junior cricket ball in this case). If Hiccup becomes fixated/hyperactive etc. all I need to do is bring out that ball and immediately Hiccup's attention will be on me. Its a useful tool now in our repertoire.

What makes you think that this isn't correct?

What I love about positive training is if it doesn't hurt the dog, if the dog responds to it, if it works, then it is fine, our imaginations set the limits of this type of training.

You are very lucky, or should that say you have done a lot of hard work, to get hiccup to this stage. Big Grin

As our dogs improve we do need to adapt wha we are doing to help them improve more. With Gracie at first I couldn't let her see another dog then as she improved she had my legs as a barrier between her and the other dog. Gradually she learnt to look at the other dog then pass them.

Cyril baby
Cyril baby
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
On lead reactivity to other dogs.. Top_ra10

Status Status :

Support total : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 31 2012, 21:29

I also think it's anxiety due to being at the vets and the recent operation. I would distract with a toy or treat in the short term. In the long term you might try taking her to the vet and let them give her a treat without an examination so she can have a positive association with the vet as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Tue Sep 04 2012, 15:57

They are sensitive little souls, if something upsets their balance or routine they can act out or slip back into bad habits which they had previously. I would expect her to relax and stop these silly behaviours when you get her back into her normal routine with some exercise. When they get too tightly wound staffords are liable to use up their energy in un-productive ways.
Nosipho
Nosipho
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 04 2012, 16:11

Cyril baby wrote:Nobody knows Biscuit better than you do, take her back to what you used to do with her at first, she will learn quicker this time because she has already been there.

Go with your gut instinct, everyone had different ideas on how to work with dogs but they are not working with YOUR dog.

I agree with this. Go back & do what you originally did - it'll be easier this time (or should be) because the basic training is already there & you're just giving her a reminder.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down