new puppy owner looking for help !!!(needing advice )

+5
*Karen*
Jackieb
Kathy
janey
xpamixpami
9 posters

Go down

new puppy owner looking for help !!!(needing advice ) Empty new puppy owner looking for help !!!(needing advice )

Post by xpamixpami Mon Aug 20 2012, 20:30

Hi everybody my name is Pam and am the new owner of my little guy Oscar he will be 8 weeks old on Friday 24th Aug we got him at 7 weeks as one of his brothers kept attacking him only and he was already getting weaned of his mum firstly i am crate training him ..which i am leaving the door open when he wakes up he gets take out to the conservatory where his papers are and food also his training pad but some people are saying take them outside so im confused as to where they are meant to go as i thought they had to have there jags first.Secondly where are you supposed to leave your puppy if you have to go out and they are not supposed to be locked in the crate as they don't like to do the toilet in the same area as there bedding i had to go out for an appointment today left him for an hour and he cried the whole time peed in his bed and pooed and half eaten the poo he was feed and played with and toileted before i had left and was due to sleep also left the radio on for him i have Separate bed for him at the side of my bed which he sleeps in and is good at waking me up to go do the toilet .Also he is getting bakers dry food in a seperate dish and also pedigree chum wet food 4 times a day is this right to feed him been told dried food only !

Any help or advice greatly appreciated Smile
Pam
xx
xpamixpami
xpamixpami
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Oscar
Dog(s) Ages : 7 weks
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

new puppy owner looking for help !!!(needing advice ) Empty Re: new puppy owner looking for help !!!(needing advice )

Post by janey Mon Aug 20 2012, 20:37

Hiya Pam and welcome from us, been a while since I had a pup but you'll get some great info here Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

new puppy owner looking for help !!!(needing advice ) Empty Re: new puppy owner looking for help !!!(needing advice )

Post by Kathy Mon Aug 20 2012, 20:42

Hi and welcome to the forum from Rocky and me.

Bakers is not the greatest food out there, in fact it's probably one of the worst. Below is a link to a list of recommended dry foods, also some info about toilet training your puppy:

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/dryfood.html

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/toilettrainingyourstaffie.html

Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Mon Aug 20 2012, 20:51

Hi Pam x

Firstly, calm down Smile
At 7 wks he's a tiny baby and won't really understand what to do or what's expected of him.
It's great that you have a crate, make half the crate comfy bedding, the other half newspaper or training pads, this will encourage him to
Use the paper rather than his bedding.

When you go out, it's fine to pop him in his crate , pop a cpl of toys in there with him and maby even cover the crate with s blanket

Cover his crate at night also , it makes them feel mire secure.

Make sure pup has a cpl of good chew toys, kings are good, abd a nice stagbar will keep him occupied.

Put him outside for a wee/poop after each meal and regularly in the day.

He will cry in the night, pop him outside for a wee, then bk to his crate.

The bakers food you have him on is crappy stuff, put him on something like fish4dogs, Wainwrights etc (many good ones )

Most of all, enjoy xx
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by *Karen* Mon Aug 20 2012, 20:56

Hi welldone on your new pup

When Mia was a pup, I had half her crate toilet and half bed but whenever left she would always pee, poop, eat the poop and generally get in a mess, I think it's a common problem when leaving small pups and I would say with Mia this phase lasted about two weeks or so until she was completely clean in her crate when left.

I think it's just patience and what I did was have her pad right in front of the door she would eventually use for going outside, give lots of praise and they will learn its better not to go in their crate!!

I used to cover mia's bed with a pillow case for easier cleaning, I also used primark pillows as her beds, £4 for a pack of two and they washed ok for a while too!

I didn't take Mia outside until the vet gave the all clear, because I have cats and foxes in my garden so didn't want to risk it, but others do and don't have problems, personal choice really!

It may help to change the food, I'd also feed at set times, and not leave food down all the time, as this will regulate their bowel movements.
*Karen*
*Karen*

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 13 July 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Lady
Support total : 45

Back to top Go down

Post by julespercules Mon Aug 20 2012, 20:59

Hi, your puppy is gorgeous, i do the same as jackie with my 10 week old, she is in a crate with her bed one side and toilet training pad and bowl of water the other side, she wees on the pad, have left her for 4 hours and she only weed was great.

As for taking her outside for her toileting i do. Had heard it was okay in the garden.

Julia
julespercules
julespercules
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
new puppy owner looking for help !!!(needing advice ) Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : tash
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 20 2012, 21:34

As above we've been through it twice and some are easier than others we've had 1 of each . !/2 and 1/2 with the bedding and paper in the great , I would be putting him outside for the toilet as long as your garden is safe and every 30 mins or so if you can just to remind him he needs to go, I don't see the point of training for paper and then having to train again for outside. Knock the water on the head a few hours before bed time and this will help his bladder last a bit longer through the night , we first use to go through hell with Tommy crying and crying but as I learnt best left and now he sleepd like a baby. Set your alarm for every 2 hours at this age and let him out for a wee, gradually extend it as he gets that little older. TYommy is 17 weeks now and he gets let out odd times through the night if he is crying , but no fuss straight back to bed, most of the time he goes right through.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 20 2012, 21:37

Hi and welcome from us and Suki. Can't really add to the advice already given.

Back to top Go down

Post by xpamixpami Mon Aug 20 2012, 23:02

Thanks all for your words of wisdom he has his crate in the hall with his blankets ,toys ect..which i keep him in during the day when he sleeps then upon waking i take him to back door in conservatory where his papers are right at the door and his food dishes on the opposite side he has run around in there and a play until he becomes tired then i put him back in crate .
Today was the first day i had to leave him to which i put in his papers bedding and toys ..he was feed before i left so didn't leave him food down .
Although i must say at night he is fab i have him in my old staffys bed (Tara she was 10 years old and sadly had to get her put down on the 12th June i just put in his blankets and a chew toy he sleeps right beside me and crys to let me know he needs the toilet he can easily jump out the bed but he waits till he lifted to the appropriate place (conservatory) then i place him back into his bed he has a wee chew and cleans himself then off to sleep again .He gets his first jag on friday so i will start to take him out after friday into back garden as its enclosed and free from other dogs ,cats,ect
I will get him off the Bakers food a.s.a.p ..as everybody agrees its not the best for them ...DO I CHANGE HIS FOOD STRAIGHT AWAY OR WEAN HIM OFF IT SLOWLY ???
Thanks again Smile xx will keep you posted on my progress lol Smile
xpamixpami
xpamixpami

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 21 2012, 01:09

They're not allowed outside, but I was told that if you have a yard, it's fine for them to go in, so we did that with Loki and he was perfectly fine. It's your choice though. I, personally, skipped using the pads and went straight to teaching him to go the toilet outside, so I'd suggest that. However, if you think it'll be easier to take it slow, get him to go in a designated area as you said, and then when he's got the hang of that you can teach him to go outside.

If you go out, you can lock them in their crate; they don't like to go to the toilet where they sleep, so generally they'll try and hold it, but they're young, they can only hold it in for so long. Loki never had that problem, even when we first got him, he'd go all night without needing to go out, so I can't give advice on that specifically. Just try not to leave him alone for so long that he won't be able to hold it. Or maybe put his crate in the conservatory where he goes to the toilet, but then you'd have to make the entire room puppy-proof.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jellytot Tue Aug 21 2012, 07:20

I would just take him outside for a wee, or you will have to train him again to go in the garden, as Tara says.

Change his food slowly, add a bit each time, it sould take a couple of weeks to change them over. X
Jellytot
Jellytot

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ralph
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessie-bear Tue Aug 21 2012, 21:26

Hello and welcome from Jessie and me Smile
Jessie-bear
Jessie-bear
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jessie
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Smudgewudge41 Tue Aug 21 2012, 22:26

HI , welcome from me and Louie, don't worry I have ben through what you are going through. Louie is now 14 weeks and the toileting is much better now , it will get better xx
Smudgewudge41
Smudgewudge41
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Louie
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by xpamixpami Tue Aug 21 2012, 22:40

Jessie-bear wrote:Hello and welcome from Jessie and me Smile

Hi there thanks Jessie new to all this forum slowly getting the hang of it Smile
xpamixpami
xpamixpami

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by xpamixpami Tue Aug 21 2012, 22:43

[quote="Smudgewudge41"]HI , welcome from me and Louie, don't worry I have ben through what you are going through. Louie is now 14 weeks and the toileting is much better now , it will get better xx

Hi thanks took him out the back garden tonight and he peed and pooed so result Smile the garden is a safe area he had a mad half hour out there too so he's worn out lets hope i get a sleep tonight. x
xpamixpami
xpamixpami

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by xpamixpami Wed Aug 22 2012, 11:48

Update on wee Oscar started letting him out to do the toilet outside in the back yard he taken to it like a duck to water Big Grin also he slept in his crate in the hall last night from 10.30pm instead of next to my bed with his training pad and his bed ..he woke crying then stopped after 2 minutes so left him he then woke me at 3.30 i got up he had already peed on his pad took him straight to the back door outside where he pooed !put him straight back to bed and off to sleep he went ..He got up again at 6am when daddy let him out before he went to work again pooed and peed outside .Left him in conservatory (puppy proof ) with his water and toys went out for ten minutes to the shops came home no crying just siting very calm ..no pees or poo's he seems to like it in ther and is relaxed so im really chuffed he is 8 weeks on friday also his bitting is very limited as when he bits he is given his toys and told a firm NO if he nips out skin i let out a YELP he stops and starts to lick have to nip the bitting in the butt staright away as i have a 2 year old to think about but i don't have him around her when he is being very very playful as he can be snappy but once he settles down and sleeps she gets the chance to have a cuddle and a pet ! xx
xpamixpami
xpamixpami

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Aug 22 2012, 12:25

He is coming along nicely by he sound of it Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by xpamixpami Wed Aug 22 2012, 14:42

[quote="janey"]

He is coming along nicely by he sound of it Smile

Thank you Janey all trial and error just now but he seems to be a happy puppy and quite calm Big Grin
xpamixpami
xpamixpami

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down