Losing Control help

3 posters

Go down

Losing Control help Empty Losing Control help

Post by chriskaty69 Wed Aug 15 2012, 18:46

When my Staffy encounters people that aren't myself or my partner we completely lose control of him, he ignores our commands and goes into hyperactive mode in which he just runs around the other person/people to get attention and refuses to stand still whilst they are around. We have tried the ignore approach which doesn't help at all and have tried both distraction techniques and we have also created a command word which is aimed to get his attention and stop exactly what he is doing, again to no avail.

Around the house and even walking when nobody is around he is good as gold and never needs to be told twice, but unfortauntely his behaviour around other people is very stressful. He is 3 years old and was netuered at the age of 18 months. This behaviour occurs at all times, regardless of his enery levels.

Can anyone help?

chriskaty69
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Losing Control help Empty Re: Losing Control help

Post by Steve Wed Aug 15 2012, 19:23

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Aug 15 2012, 19:24

how long and how many time are you walking him?

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 15 2012, 19:24

I'm still having this problem with my puppy, so I can't give advice based on personal experience, but have you tried putting him on a lead when he meets people and everyone ignoring him until he's calm? That way when he gets too excited, you can lead him away from the people and have more control over him (even if only in a physical sense for the time being). I can't really think of anything else, but I'm sure people will have better advice who've got the experience.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 15 2012, 19:28

Hi & welcome.

As Steve says, how many walks do you give him & how long for? What do you feed him? These might sound totally irrelevent, but it's better to have full facts before even attempting to find a 'cure'!

I take it that his actions are friendly? That he wants to greet other people, not attack them?

Back to top Go down

Post by chriskaty69 Wed Aug 15 2012, 19:35

Hi

He gets one short (10 minute) and one longer (45 minute +) walk per day, with a 90 minute one every Sunday. We feed him Pedigree wet food, we have had him on all different 'mass produced' foods but have looked at the possibility of a more natural food, would that help?

Yes the actions are in no way aggressive, he wants to get to the other people to get attention, the problem is that he gets so excited he cannot stop, also, his tail wags so hard and fast he literally can't sit still.

chriskaty69

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Aug 15 2012, 19:39

he really need 2 to 3 45 mins plus walks everyday, walking is a very importent training tool also it will make him tired.. a tired dog is a happy/good dog a untired dog is a problem dog

Last edited by Steve on Wed Aug 15 2012, 19:52; edited 1 time in total

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 15 2012, 19:40

Ok, firstly, although it's not the total cause of your boy's behaviour, you really ought to give him more exercise. A three year old should be getting at least 2 walks a day, both of at least 45 minutes (preferably a little longer). Also, pedigree wet food certainly isn't the best.

Have you thought about switching him to a dry complete?

For the time being, I'd invest in a long line. You can get them off ebay...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50ft-LONG-DOG-HORSE-TRAINING-TRACKING-LEAD-IN-VARIOUS-COLOURS-SIZE-LARGE-/230776866048?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&var=&hash=item35bb5f8500

Then, when he's at the park clip on the long lead & let it trail, but make sure the end's always within easy reach. Every so often, call him back & praise when he comes back. If he makes a bee-line for someone, call him & pick up the line. If he ignores, reel him in & make him sit when he gets back to you - then treat.

Back to top Go down

Post by chriskaty69 Wed Aug 15 2012, 20:53

I will give the long lead a try, thank you, do you have any advice on how to ensure he responds to my voice during the 'chaso'?

I will also investigate the food, this is not the first time I've heard this solution so I will definately give it a go, is there any favoured brands?

With regards to the walking situation, I will give it a try and provide more exercise, however, his energy levels seem to have no impact on this behaviour.

chriskaty69

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 15 2012, 21:36

Here's a list of recommended dry foods. Be sure to change the food over gradually so his stomach won't get upset.

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/dryfood.html

The extra exercise will work wonders. The results won't be instant but with patience they will come.

Are you having him sit and wait for his food. Not to long but around 10 seconds or so. This will teach him some patience. You can than have him sit before meeting people. You may want to explain to them that you are training him. The more often he is around people the more comfortable he will be with how he supposed to react.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 15 2012, 23:46

Absolutely. Each little bit of training will do wonders for the whole picture.

If you use the long line properly it won't matter at first if he responds to you or not, because if he doesn't, you will reel him in (using your chosen trigger word of "come" or "here" etc). After a while he'll realise that not responding to your call results in him being pulled in anyway & he should start to respond.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 16 2012, 12:54

Agree with Caryll and I use a long line withy Tommy and he is responding very well to recall , it's just all the other basic things he hasn't mastered yet Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by chriskaty69 Thu Aug 16 2012, 20:50

Can anyone explain the difference between a 'long line' and an extender lead please?

Thanks
Chris

chriskaty69

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 16 2012, 21:55

An extender has the retractable line that will go back into the handle with a push of a button. A long line is simply a 10-20m leash that you have to pull back in manually. I prefer the long line because they are stronger and I don't have to worry about it breaking.

Back to top Go down

Post by wee anne Sat Aug 18 2012, 02:22

i had same problem with rescue female 18mths old but when she started this she knocked my 3yr old grandson down i started getting her by the coller just saying down she is beginning to calm down now and sit at my feet till visitor calls her over Big Grin

wee anne

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down