Separation Stress

Go down

Separation Stress  Empty Separation Stress

Post by Pastie Tue Aug 07 2012, 21:06

Good evening one and all,

I know there are various posts on separation anxiety but I thought I would post my situation and see what people can offer (if anything) as advice.

Marlon was a rescue dog and is about 5 / 6. Unfortunately the shelter knew nothing about his background but he was gorgeous and was being overlooked for younger dogs so we went for it! We have had GSD's etc in the past so dogs are not new to us. But Staffies rule!

Anyway, myself and my OH work (she generally comes home at lunch or someone checks in on Marlon during the day) but usually by the time we get home, regardless of how long he is left, there is some form of fun been had in the house. We have a stair gate to stop Marlon getting upstairs but he opens cupboards, pulls coats off coat racks, opens drawers, throws flour around, the works!

He has a dogflap in the back door so can come and go as he pleases to go to the toilet and play in the garden (sunbathe if the weather is good enough!).

We have only had him for 3 months and until recently his behaviour had improved. He started off barking alot, and making a massive mess in the house. Our neighbours were really understanding and agreed to let us know if he carried on barking and we have heard nothing for about 8 weeks so we take that as a positive. And until recently his destructive side had calmed down too.

He is walked for at least 45 mins each morning (by me) and this includes at least 20 minutes off lead chasing his balls till he can hardly run!

This week he seems to have gone backwards. Do you think we are being too keen for him to settle and should just give it a bit more time to settle in to our routine?

I am aware that the fun and games usually take place early so we are giving him a frozen kong too, which he seems to like. Am thinking treat ball as well??

Any and all suggestions much appreciated.

As I write this, Marlon is snoring like I have never heard before. ridiculous!!
Pastie
Pastie
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marlon
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Separation Stress  Empty Re: Separation Stress

Post by Guest Tue Aug 07 2012, 22:12

The kong and treat ball should help alleviate the boredom/stress. Is the walk 45 minutes on lead plus anthor 20 minutes off lead?

I'd try to close off or remove anything he isn't supposed to get into and not make a big fuss before you leave or when you get back. When you have time off you could try leaving multiple times during the day and returning sooner to help him get used to it.

A radio or TV playing in the background is also a good idea.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pastie Tue Aug 07 2012, 22:15

presently its 45 mins including 20 mins off lead. it takes me 15 mins each way to the park and then the 20 mins or so playing when we get there. I am thinking I need to just excercise him more early. Might have to get off to bed now then!

Seriously though - thanks very much for the comments..

Pastie
Pastie

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 07 2012, 22:17

The longer walk would likely go a long way in helping with his energy levels and should help reduce or eliminate the problem. They need 2 walks a day for 45 minutes each not including off lead play to burn off their energy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 07 2012, 22:21

If he was ok before, and you can't think of anything that might have sparked any stress, then I would think it's more boredom or high spirits. As he settles into a happy life he'll be gaining confidence & probably getting livlier which is why it's gone downhill a bit.

A treat ball could help, although the game of getting the treats out could make him quite hyper. Sad I would stick with the Kong, and maybe some frozen veg - carrots are good, they can have a good old chew without gaining extra calories to boost their energy levels!

Does he have a 'safe' place to sleep? A crate with bedding & three sides covered with an old blanket or curtain will give him a place to relax & sleep off his morning walk. I'd also invest in some 'child locks' for your cupboards - you can get some really cheap ones that'll do the trick!

Does he get a breakfast after his walk in the morning?

Back to top Go down

Post by Pastie Tue Aug 07 2012, 22:25

Funnily enough I bought some child locks. Will probably fit them. Obviously he could break them if he wanted but it may be enough to deter him from trying!

He has a "standard" bed and blanket. would you recommend a crate instead? I read alot about crates with blankets etc involved?

He gets his brekkie when we leave for work. About an hour after his walk.

Will make sure he gets longer walks tomorrow and like the frozen veg idea. Although his farts smell already even before the veg Smile
Pastie
Pastie

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 07 2012, 22:28

We use a crate so Suki will have a place to go where she feels safe or wants some alone time.

We also use frozen veggies as treats. They are cheap and healthy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 07 2012, 22:37

Pastie wrote:Funnily enough I bought some child locks. Will probably fit them. Obviously he could break them if he wanted but it may be enough to deter him from trying!

He has a "standard" bed and blanket. would you recommend a crate instead? I read alot about crates with blankets etc involved?

He gets his brekkie when we leave for work. About an hour after his walk.

Will make sure he gets longer walks tomorrow and like the frozen veg idea. Although his farts smell already even before the veg Smile

The child locks might not be strong, but even the cheap ones are effective.

Crates can give a dog a sense of safety & comfort - like a private den. If you cover three sides then it'll be cozy & dark & so will invite them to relax.

Oh, and raw frozen vegetables won't make the farts worse - cooked veg will!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down