Rant alert

2 posters

Go down

Rant alert Empty Rant alert

Post by crystel Wed Jul 11 2012, 11:48

Sorry guys too rant so early in the day but I am furious angry
A brief outline about 10mnths ago we had a new staffy puppy being walked in our local park, me being me has too know every staffy in the area Big Grin introduced myself the guy was very nice, he knew staffords but hadnt owned one before, after afew weeks of seeing this dog out i started too notice some problems with his skin, i pointed it out too owner and he said he would check it out which he did, and was told it was nothing 2wks later the poor little mite was in agony red raw and hair lose the owner came too me too ask advice, I immediatly recgonised demodectic mange!!
I sent him off too the vets who told him they though it was just a skin problem and gave him cream angry
It took 6wks before the vet would except it was d manage and we nearly lost the little mite he was in such a state.
Finally they got control of the condition and they dog is now 11mnths old and looking great but he had months of treatments and the owner went through hell.
I was making a fuss of the dog today and he was getting abit frisky with my girls Blushing
I just made a joking comment about him liking the girls and he would have too watch him and the owner said he was thinking of breeding him......!!! Surprised
I told him you shouldn,t breed off a dog that had demodectic mange but he said the vet told him it was ok if he had 6mnths of all clear skin scraps!!!!
Has something changed?? we was always told the mites could lay dormiant and reacure, and never too breed as it can be heridatory, I have since found out the Mum of this pup died from the mange effecting her heart.
Will we ever be able too stop irresponsible breeding it makes me so mad frustrated angry
crystel
crystel
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 7yrs and 1yr
Dog Gender(s) : females
Support total : 101

Back to top Go down

Rant alert Empty Re: Rant alert

Post by Guest Wed Jul 11 2012, 12:07

I cant comment about the Mange being hereditary as I dont have the knowledge but I would really like to see Denise's take on this one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Jul 11 2012, 12:44

Surely if you knew of your dog having any medical condition you wouldn't want to breed from them and run the risk of passing it on to the puppies.

Quite irresponsible of the owner of the bitch to not find out the complete medical history of the male (stud) dog too who should really know better.

I know absolutely nothing about breeding dogs but even I would know only to reproduce very good examples of the breed.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 11 2012, 12:54

Remember all dogs even healthy ones have mites, but on a healthy dog with a good immune system their kept in check and are stopped from multiplying.

Its only under stress as in the case of a puppy teething will the little buggers start causing havoc. 9 times out of ten once teething is over the puppy mange as its called is gone or on its way. Only in a few cases is a vets intervention needed.
The dog you posted about sounds like his puppy mange got out of control, top with the fact the Mum you have learnt had Mange too, this little guys system did'nt stand a chance of sorting the problem its self Sad

As for breeding from this male i'm more inclined to say NO due to the fact vet help was needed to clear the mange.
Now if the puppy mange had clear by its self, thats suggesting to me the pups got a good immune system and one that could be passed on to his offspring.
The pups of parents that experienced puppy mange them selves dont always go on to produce pups with the same problem.
Now if his skin condition was allergy related then it should'nt be used at all, as theres a high chance he'll pass some sort of allergy to his offspring.

There is no easy way to deter this guy from breeding, ranting and raving at him your get no where as he'll pull the shutters down and carry on with his plan regardless.
Point out to him, he'll find it had to get stud inquires from an untested dog, plus is he prepared to help rehome a pup/adult dog his stud has sired if need be.
All you can do is advise him, fingers crossed he takes your advise on board and decides not to stud his dog. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by crystel Wed Jul 11 2012, 13:08

Ah thanks for that Denise been waiting for your view on this
It wasn,t standard Mange it was demodectic mange which was past down too all the litter from the Mum the severity was something i,ve never seen in 30yrs, the mum died from it.
I think the guy has listened as all i did was tell him that it could be passed onto the litter of puppies and knowing how much his dog went through the pain and months of vet treatments would he want too risk this.
I just always air on the side of caution when it comes too breeding with any conditions.
Hope you and all your beautiful dogs are well Smile
crystel
crystel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 11 2012, 13:12

Fingers crossed then he gets his dog de sexed Smile

To many ppl want to be a breeder, but i'm telling you its not as easy as you think. doh

Back to top Go down

Post by crystel Wed Jul 11 2012, 13:15

I think he will now he seems a decent guy.
I know what you mean its hard work and you put your heart and soul into it and i think its even harder these days x
crystel
crystel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content