Progress!?

5 posters

Go down

Progress!?  Empty Progress!?

Post by Buster's_Mum Wed Jul 04 2012, 11:30

At dog training on Monday Buster was perfect, didn't put a foot wrong, and I'm hoping that the lady last week is feeling a bit more at ease with him as they had to do a weave in and out of handlers and dogs and Buster didn't even look at her or her dog.

After on the field I let him off lead to play with a german shepherd that is in the class. Buster kept jumping up his owner and would not listen to me at all doh She kept ignoring him, but he carried on. After about 10 mins he jumped and as he did she managed to grab his collar, pushed him back down to the floor and shouted no at him. That was it then, he didn't jump up her again! Big Grin

Then today while walking we met someone else with another german shepherd. I have bumped into him, and his girlfriend/wife a few times while out with Buster. He didn't jump up at the man (which is a first!) and he went to see Zahra (the german shepherd) said hello and then just sat watching her while I was talking. Normally he would be racing about pulling on his lead trying to play with her.

I am hoping that I might start getting somewhere with him, finally! I have spoken to my brother who has agreed he won't playfight with Buster any more, or make him jump up (he brought his girlfriend round the other day and Buster kept chewing her boots and jumping up so I think he has realised it's not good - she works at the dogs trust so I think she might've said something also! Wink ) Now all I need to do is try Buster off lead with another dog about to see if he comes back while off lead, or if it is just because he knows he is on his long line. The problem is finding a dog to try it with. I don't know anyone with a dog that I could use, and I don't want to try it with a random dog incase he doesn't come back and upsets the other dog. Any tips anyone?
Buster's_Mum
Buster's_Mum
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Progress!?  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buster, LuLu (chinese crested)
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months, 3 1/2 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Progress!?  Empty Re: Progress!?

Post by Guest Wed Jul 04 2012, 11:33

Hard to say really. We've alwys been blessed with knowing an experienced handler with a well socialized dog. Have you talked with the person teaching the class you are going to?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 04 2012, 11:33

Well done! He's starting to listen (and so is your brother! Laughing ).

How about, when you see one of the GSDs he plays with, you ask them to walk away a distance & then see if he'll come back when you call?

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Jul 04 2012, 11:35

Thats great, its pleasing when things begin to click into place now the bad habits have stopped!

Shame your so far away, Moo would love a play mate! X
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster's_Mum Wed Jul 04 2012, 11:40

jstaff - No, I haven't spoken to my trainer, not even thought about that to be honest! She knows that I have had problems getting him to come back with other dogs about so I might mention it to her on Monday and see if she can think of anyone.

Caryll - I was thinking that, but then I'm not sure if it's a dog he knows he can play with if he might run off then. And I know for a fact that if the dog starts to approach Buster then he will go to see them rather than come back, it needs to be a dog that would ignore him, but also wouldn't be bothered if Buster went up to it.

Janey - I know, I live almost in the middle of the country, yet everyone seems to be miles away! Rolling Eyes
Buster's_Mum
Buster's_Mum
Progress!?  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Wed Jul 04 2012, 11:46

everyone has these moments when everything just clicks! It feels amazing and once they start to 'get-it' there usually no going back. There can be months of ripping-your-hair-out stress and then suddenly they actually become fun to be around!
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster's_Mum Wed Jul 04 2012, 11:50

Nosipho wrote:everyone has these moments when everything just clicks! It feels amazing and once they start to 'get-it' there usually no going back. There can be months of ripping-your-hair-out stress and then suddenly they actually become fun to be around!

I am so proud of him at the moment, BUT he is still only 9 months, so I know he will have times when he is still going to play up. At least he is starting to get better now though, so I can put up with a few blips knowing that it is all sinking in really Big Grin
Buster's_Mum
Buster's_Mum
Progress!?  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Jul 04 2012, 17:03

It is a great feeling when things do finally click, well done all the hard work is paying off.

We also had a really good day today with rocky, praying
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Wed Jul 04 2012, 17:18

It is great when things start to work, I have been taking advantage of the bad weather during the day and going into the kids play area (when it is empty) and letting Ledger off lead to do some wait, stay and recall work and it is starting to pay off
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 04 2012, 18:07

jshrew wrote:It is great when things start to work, I have been taking advantage of the bad weather during the day and going into the kids play area (when it is empty) and letting Ledger off lead to do some wait, stay and recall work and it is starting to pay off

I just can't get Tilly to stay consistently , recall is really good now and I can trust her a lot closer to other dogs to come back that I wouldn't have before, not dangerous or anything just couldn't catch her , though she does have a couple of buddies that she throws all the rules out of the window for and if I don't see them before she does I've got no chance Laughing
We're just looking into starting puppy classes with Tommy in the next week or so as long as I can miss a couple (sats) due to my hols and make them up after as it looks like this guy has all levels on the same day (weekly joining dates for a 4 week course)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 04 2012, 18:49

Keep up the good work. It all is worth it in the edn. They getting better as they get older.

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster's_Mum Thu Jul 05 2012, 14:38

I took Buster for a long walk this morning and passed 3 dogs on the path - all 3 he ignored!! thumbs up

There were a few on the field. He didnt ignore the ones that came over to see him, not that I can blame him, but that does mean that he wont come back if he's offlead and the other dog looks interested in him. He was watching a couple play fetch though and when I called him he came back! So please at the moment! I cannot wait to try him offlead (although Im sure everything will go out the window then! Lol)
Buster's_Mum
Buster's_Mum
Progress!?  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down