been watching a small rash on my 10wk old pups head, but its getting worse...

4 posters

Go down

been watching a small rash on my 10wk old pups head, but its getting worse... Empty been watching a small rash on my 10wk old pups head, but its getting worse...

Post by my1stStaffyBull Sun Jan 02 2011, 07:28

We picked up a solid white StaffyBull male on Tuesday to bring into our home a love. That night I noticed a small bump on his head. Over the past few days it seems to be getting worse and I don't know what to do. It's red raised bumps on his head they almost feel dry and flaky. He is strictly an inside dog and we live in a subdivision so I don't think he's gotten into anything outside.

He is on Blue Buffalo Chicken dry food, we have some training reward busied treats we got from pets mart and some peanut butter filling for his Kong toy that is Kong brand. Could any of these be causing this rash? He also has one small spot under his belly that is not spreading.

I've read about putting milk of magnesium on the affected area or aloe and such, but it seems this would be temporary relief. He isn't really scratching at it or even particularly acting like he knows its there, but it scares me... his dad.

Can anyone please tell me how I can help our little guy?

*Sidenote I am blown away at how smart he is even at this age, I don't think ill ever own a diff breed*

my1stStaffyBull
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

been watching a small rash on my 10wk old pups head, but its getting worse... Empty Re: been watching a small rash on my 10wk old pups head, but its getting worse...

Post by Guest Sun Jan 02 2011, 08:45

Firstly hello an welcome to the forum!

How old is your boy? Could you try and get a photo of you pups rash?

It will probably require vetinary treatment.

x

Back to top Go down

been watching a small rash on my 10wk old pups head, but its getting worse... Empty Re: been watching a small rash on my 10wk old pups head, but its getting worse...

Post by Guest Sun Jan 02 2011, 09:36

Hi, welcome to the forum.

So glad you're happy with your new boy, but such a shame that you have a problem with his skin. This is not uncommon in a white dog.

There are several things that could be wrong, most of them really easy to sort out you'll be pleased to hear!

Firstly, have you washed any of his bedding, and if so, did you use a biological powder? Staffs, being very short coated are prone to irritations from the enzymes in washing powders.

Secondly it could just be a minor irritation due to his new surroundings in which case, with a little ointment/cream it'll clear up on its own.

Thirdly it could be demodex. Don't panic - it doesn't mean he's going to get mange! All dogs are born with a small amount of the demodex mite on them, they get them from their mother. They cause no problems at all most of the time, but sometimes they can 'flare' up a little. Generally, with a little aloe ointment they clear up within a couple of weeks or so.

However, if the patches become sore looking, spread, or continue to get bigger I'd consult a vet for your peace of mind - they may want to do a small skin scrape to get to the bottom of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 02 2011, 12:09

sounds alot like the rash memphis had which turned out to be a wet deradex rash which can easily be cleared up with a 5 day course of steroid cream
this rash is common in white and blue staffords.

Back to top Go down

Post by my1stStaffyBull Sun Jan 02 2011, 15:40

Thanks for all the replies guys, I am very glad to hear that this is most likely easily treatable. The only problem is the vet's are closed on Sunday (and I wish I could get him started treatment today) and I dont really have an established relationship with a vet quite yet although I had one in mind that received favorable reviews. Below are some pics of the rash, the first pic is the first day and it wasnt really visable unless you 'looked' under his short fur. The second picture is a few days ago when I first really 'noticed' it was possibly getting bigger or more irritated. And the 3rd is just now... I really want my fur baby better lol. I am really thankful of the many of you who have chimed in thus far. Is there anything I can do today while the vets are closed to help him?

been watching a small rash on my 10wk old pups head, but its getting worse... Marleynorash

been watching a small rash on my 10wk old pups head, but its getting worse... MarleyRash

been watching a small rash on my 10wk old pups head, but its getting worse... MarleyRash2

my1stStaffyBull

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by my1stStaffyBull Sun Jan 02 2011, 16:13

for now can I just wash it with some hibiclens soap and put some neosporin on it since he can't reach his own head?

my1stStaffyBull

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 02 2011, 16:48

ye that looks a lot like wet dermidex and really easy to treat 5days and it normally gone Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 02 2011, 16:52

If that's what it is, there's really nothing you can do yourself. You can try putting a baby cream on it, one with aloe vera, or a nappy rash cream like Sudocrem, but although it may soothe it, it won't clear it up.

Get the vet to check it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 02 2011, 17:00

ye you will deff need a trip to the vet for the cream

Back to top Go down

Post by bonnieboy Wed Jan 05 2011, 02:59

Bonnie has what looks like the same thing in almost the same place, it started like u said as a small lump at about 12 weeks. Seems to look like it's clearing up a bit then comes back. It dosnt seem to bother her Ive just been keeping an eye on it and I'm gonna ask the vet when she has her last jabs in a couple of weeks. Must be a white dog thing! I was told by someone to start doing overtime to cover vets bills when they heard I was getting a white staffy nail biting
bonnieboy
bonnieboy
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Bonnie
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Fri Jan 07 2011, 21:21

Its just a baby thing they are always picking up stuff shud be okay when they mature
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornish-Muscle Fri Jan 07 2011, 21:34

I wish I could help on this, I have noticed Molly's white bits seem to look more scabby and red some days, but then again, all her white bits are on her under belly and chest, so maybe the grass and what not irritates it more
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down