Need some help please??!!

+2
Galadriel
Jaymeannexx
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Need some help please??!! Empty Need some help please??!!

Post by Jaymeannexx Sat Jun 23 2012, 20:47

I joined this forum as my fiance bought me a blue staff puppy last week and i need some help with something.
Shes 9 weeks old. When we bought her she had lil bald dots on her head and the back of her neck and along her back she seems to be loosing fur, she doesnt sit there itching and it doesnt look sore or dry her skin looks perfectly healthy its just her fur is falling out? Im kind of worried about this cause it doesnt look nice and it looks asif i dont look after her properly. I just wanted to know if this is normal or not? And if its happened to anyone elses puppy or if anyone can just tell me what it could be? Please, and also the man we bought her from told me she was 9 weeks but she is only small and everyone tells me she is younger than what iv been told. We took her to a vets 2 days after we bought her and got her first injection and her weight was only 3lb 5oz is this a normal size for a "9 week" pup or could she be younger than what the man told me? Thanks xx
Jaymeannexx
Jaymeannexx
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Balou
Dog(s) Ages : 9 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Need some help please??!! Empty Re: Need some help please??!!

Post by Galadriel Sat Jun 23 2012, 20:51

Hi and welcome Smile

What did your vet say about the hair loss?

Galadriel
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Jun 23 2012, 20:59

Hi & Need some help please??!! Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Need some help please??!! Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Need some help please??!! Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Need some help please??!! Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Need some help please??!! Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
Need some help please??!! Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Need some help please??!! Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
Need some help please??!! Icon_arrow Make a Donation to help us to keep improving our forum and website.
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaymeannexx Sat Jun 23 2012, 21:00

Well it was my fiance that took her into the vets room as i couldnt watch my poor baby get an injection Sad but my fiance told me when he come out that pups can have mites under their skin or something? He didnt explain it very well but i asked him if he asked the vet about her small bald dots and her fur falling out and he said no. I ignored her fur at first because a neighbour said its normal for staff pups to loose fur but it looks asif more has fallen out and its worrying me now cause it sure doesnt look normal :/
Jaymeannexx
Jaymeannexx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sat Jun 23 2012, 21:01

was she her parents blue?

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 23 2012, 21:08

regarding weight , I took our pup to the vet last week for his first injections, bang on 8 weeks old and he was 3.7kg which is about 8.16lb , he is on the larger side by his parents but this is quite a significant difference , do you have any pictures ??

Oh and welcome to the forum BTW from me and the kids Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaymeannexx Sat Jun 23 2012, 21:34

Her mum was blue and her dad was black and white.

wow that is a big difference in weight! i thought 3lb5 was a really low weight for a 9 week staff! everyone that sees her says she looks about 5/6 weeks but im not sure im a first time owner of a staffy baby. so i wouldnt know how big or small she should be but its kind of got me thinking now cause she is really little :/
i would put a picture up of her but im not sure how to put one up Sad x
Jaymeannexx
Jaymeannexx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sat Jun 23 2012, 21:37

has she got real papers?

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Jun 23 2012, 21:39

janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 23 2012, 21:45

Try not to worry too much about the weight unless you have some way to go back to the breeder. It's up to you to get her fattened up now and turn her into a tubby pup Big Grin
We have a very good breeder (Denise who is one of our supporting members) on here that can advise you on a good diet to get some weight on her if that's what she needs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaymeannexx Sat Jun 23 2012, 21:51

Need some help please??!! IMG_1770

this is my baby girl i took this photo today but you can kind of see how small she is because of my hand there Smile
Jaymeannexx
Jaymeannexx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaymeannexx Sat Jun 23 2012, 21:55

the mum had papers but the pups didnt and im not sure if the dad did? and the man i bought her off wasnt really a 'breeder' he was like he didnt know anything and he lived in a tower block of flats and hes place wasnt exactly nice and he was kind of strange :/ but i didnt question anything about her as i fell in love with her when i see her. but now its playing on my mind if their this small if hes looking after them properly and i had to de-worm her and get her injections my self and normally i thought at 8/9 weeks pups already had their injections if you was breeding and selling pups :/ we feel asif weve rescued her more than anything x
Jaymeannexx
Jaymeannexx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 23 2012, 21:59

Hmmm, she is looking very small but they do come in all shapes and sizes. However she has just got the cutest little face Love Struck
What are you feeding her on at the moment ?? how many meals a dayh does she have , do you follow the guidelines from the food manufacturer. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 23 2012, 22:08

Jaymeannexx wrote:the mum had papers but the pups didnt and im not sure if the dad did? and the man i bought her off wasnt really a 'breeder' he was like he didnt know anything and he lived in a tower block of flats and hes place wasnt exactly nice and he was kind of strange :/ but i didnt question anything about her as i fell in love with her when i see her. but now its playing on my mind if their this small if hes looking after them properly and i had to de-worm her and get her injections my self and normally i thought at 8/9 weeks pups already had their injections if you was breeding and selling pups :/ we feel asif weve rescued her more than anything x

OK so you are one of many (including me with our first Tilly , but it wasn't the worst experience from what I have seen on here) ) to fall foul of a back yard breeder, I would be very inclined to agree that she isn't 9 weeks and he's just wanted to get rid of her.
You are correct and normally a reputable breeder would have let her go at 8 weeks , fully wormed , first injection and these days ususally microchipped but not always. We took Tommy from our Breeder at just over 7 weeks as my OH wanted him earlier for our own reasons and it was done only after consulting with others on the forum and our breeder , it was never his idea. Sorry I'm waffling.

Important thing now is you get on the right track with her , get her fed up a little and see how she goes. The fur loss at the moment if she isn't itching could just be poor condition of herself due to her upbringing to date. If you're worried and can afford it then go back to the Vet and ask him about it but I would suggest you go and get yourself some insurance before doing this and stick with the 9 week age as I believe that the good insurance companies insist on the pup being 8 weeks before covering and if there is a skin problem you want to make sure you are covered.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaymeannexx Sat Jun 23 2012, 22:09

she is a gorgeous girly i have some cute pictures of her :p shame i dont have an amazing camera tho Sad

well she is a rather fussy pup and i was feeding her Bakers Complete puppy which is what the man told me he was feeding them, but she doesnt seem to be able to eat them properly they seem to solid for her.

i leave the bakers down for her all day and she eats what she wants to and when she wants, but if i dont see her eating any through the afternoon i give her some Butchers and she seemed to have liked that, but im not too sure if your allowed to feed pups the meat all the time cause i heard it can give them the runs? but iv also started giving her a small bowl of lactol milk to see if it will help her put some weight on aswell.

and also whatever i eat i share with my girl apart from sweets & chocolate of course she seems to love our food more than hers lol!
Jaymeannexx
Jaymeannexx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Sat Jun 23 2012, 22:11

I'd take her back to the vets if I were you, they will be able to do a skin scrape and find out what's causing the hair loss then treat appropriately.

I wouldn't say she's 9 weeks old, she looks a good deal younger than that to me.

Not having a go here or anything, what's done is done and the most important thing now is to take care of your pup and do what you can to ensure she grows up to be a happy well rounded dog as it doesn't sound like she's had the best start. However, just so you know for future reference, buying a pup off someone like that is not rescuing, it's putting money in the back pocket of someone who clearly doesn't care about the welfare of his dogs and by supporting people like that, you're only helping them to continue.

If I were you then I'd be putting in a call to the inland revenue (or the DWP if the person you've bought off is on benefits) as I'd happily bet they haven't declared the income. If you hit these people where it hurts them then they might think twice about doing it again...

But like I said, what's done is done, don't beat yourself up about it, just next time you want a pup make sure you do plenty of research first and find a good breeder to support.

Stick around, the forum is full of lots of people who'll help you and do their best to answer any questions you may have Smile

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Sat Jun 23 2012, 22:18

Just a few tips about food, Bakers is dire and butchers isn't much better. Have a look on http://www.whichdogfood.co.uk/ and find the best food you can afford. What's your budget (roughly per day) and I'll see if I can recommend some.

Free feeding as it's called (leaving food down all the time) isn't a good idea IMO, it's better to stick to regular meals.

In terms of feeding your own food to her, make sure you steer clear of chocolate (most people know that one) and also grapes, raisins and onions as they can be fatal. Uncooked potato isn't a good idea either...I personally wouldn't be feeding her my own food, especially whilst I'm eating as it will encourage bad habits.

ETA: Here are a few resources for you to look at that you might find helpful:

http://www.deesdogs.com/documents/dogsocialization.pdf

http://www.thepuppyplan.com/

http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/BEFORE%20You%20Get%20Your%20Puppy.pdf

http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/AFTER%20You%20Get%20Your%20Puppy.pdf - Ian Dunbar's abit dramatic but there's some good stuff in there Smile

Last edited by Galadriel on Sat Jun 23 2012, 22:25; edited 1 time in total

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 23 2012, 22:23

Jaymeannexx wrote:she is a gorgeous girly i have some cute pictures of her :p shame i dont have an amazing camera tho Sad

well she is a rather fussy pup and i was feeding her Bakers Complete puppy which is what the man told me he was feeding them, but she doesnt seem to be able to eat them properly they seem to solid for her.

i leave the bakers down for her all day and she eats what she wants to and when she wants, but if i dont see her eating any through the afternoon i give her some Butchers and she seemed to have liked that, but im not too sure if your allowed to feed pups the meat all the time cause i heard it can give them the runs? but iv also started giving her a small bowl of lactol milk to see if it will help her put some weight on aswell.

and also whatever i eat i share with my girl apart from sweets & chocolate of course she seems to love our food more than hers lol!

First get rid of the Bakers it is terrible food to give the pup (also avoid Wagg)

Here's a list that may help you from memebrs recommendations

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t598-dry-food-recommendations

Personally I give our 2 Wainwrights and they do well on it (Pets at Home about £35 for 15kg) it's not a cheap food but it's not really expensive.

You shouldn't leave the food down all day , put it down for 15 mins and if she doesn't take it then pick it up and don't give her anything else , put it down again at the next mealtime. I think she should be on 4 meals a day at her age but please use the guidelines from the food packet.
Our breeder was also feeding Tommy Prize Choice from Pets at Home , its like a frozen mince block that you can cook , comes in all flavours about 86p per block but that would do 4 meals when mixed up with his dry food and makes it a bit more interesting for her. Also he has either scrambled egg or weetabix on a morning - made up with Goats Milk , not normal milk. And he was having sardines at lunchtime which would help with the coat. Because he's doing so well he really only has 1 weetabix on a morning now and 3 mealls of the Wainwrights dry food and he does fine.
*** Most important not to upset her Tummy if you go ahead and change the food then wean her off the Bakers gently over the next week or 2***
And lastly she shouldn't really have any Human scraps at her age although it is very tempting as to them its far tastier than their food. If you can't help doing it when she's older it should never account to any more than 10% of her daily food intake.
Hope this helps you a bit and good luck Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaymeannexx Sat Jun 23 2012, 22:23

i know it sounds like i made a stupid mistake but i really wanted a puppy staff but im also 6months pregnant so we didnt have the hundreds of pounds for a blue staff. and i really wanted a blue one as i had a blue chihuahua who unfortunatley died after being bit on the head by my mums partners husky Sad god bless his soul, and i wanted to name my pup after him ( Balou ) and i see an add for blue staffs and they were 200 me being silly and thinking it was an amazing price for a blue staff even tho she didnt have papers it was in our price range for a pup so we went ahead to get her and when we turnt up we see the man and he looked rather weird but i dont judge people so we went and see the pups and like i said it was a nasty council flat and i was put off buying one till i see her but i couldnt resist her cute little eyes staring at me Love Struck but now thinking about it, it does kind of sound like he was just getting rid of them for money :/ at too young of an age. but i dont regret getting her shes my baby <3 and i cant wait till she gets bigger and in full health to start teaching her tricks Big Grin

thankyou all for your replies i will stay with this forum and let everyone know how shes getting on Smile x
Jaymeannexx
Jaymeannexx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sat Jun 23 2012, 22:29

you going have to rule every out first but she could have CDA..

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t17716-colour-dilution-alopecia

I bet she asn't be tested for any the main health problem in staffy.... you should always go with a good breeder the vet bills you could get could end up in the 1000s Sad

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 23 2012, 22:32

Hi and welcome from us and Suki can't really add anthing to the advice already given but you may want to look into pet insurance. Wish you the best of luck and if you have any questions just ask

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 23 2012, 22:33

Jaymeannexx wrote:i know it sounds like i made a stupid mistake but i really wanted a puppy staff but im also 6months pregnant so we didnt have the hundreds of pounds for a blue staff. and i really wanted a blue one as i had a blue chihuahua who unfortunatley died after being bit on the head by my mums partners husky Sad god bless his soul, and i wanted to name my pup after him ( Balou ) and i see an add for blue staffs and they were 200 me being silly and thinking it was an amazing price for a blue staff even tho she didnt have papers it was in our price range for a pup so we went ahead to get her and when we turnt up we see the man and he looked rather weird but i dont judge people so we went and see the pups and like i said it was a nasty council flat and i was put off buying one till i see her but i couldnt resist her cute little eyes staring at me Love Struck but now thinking about it, it does kind of sound like he was just getting rid of them for money :/ at too young of an age. but i dont regret getting her shes my baby <3 and i cant wait till she gets bigger and in full health to start teaching her tricks Big Grin

thankyou all for your replies i will stay with this forum and let everyone know how shes getting on Smile x

Don't beat yourself up about it , as I've already said this is typical Back Yard Breeder scenario and we really need to stop them as these people are largely responsible for killing off our beautiful breed, selling dogs to anybody (and I don't mean you) that can't afford them , mistreat them and abuse them and fill up the rescues with them.

The important thing is that you obviously love your little girl and care about her or you wouldn't go to the trouble of coming on here asking for advice. So lets get helping you ok >Big Grin<

Regarding human foods here's a list of things that aren't good for her

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t15046-dangerous-foods-for-dogs?highlight=dangerous+foods

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 23 2012, 22:39

Steve wrote:you going have to rule every out first but she could have CDA..

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t17716-colour-dilution-alopecia

I bet she asn't be tested for any the main health problem in staffy.... you should always go with a good breeder the vet bills you could get could end up in the 1000s Sad

It's possible Steve but IF the "Breeder ahem" was truthful then chances are better for her.

You really need to look into some Pet Insurance to help you on your way with the diagnosis as Steve says if these things turn into a bigger problem it can get expensive , though I do think sometimes they are only expensive because people have insurance so its like an open ticket for the Vet.

Other people may shoot me for it , but she obviously hasn't been looked after by the breeder that well and I would concentrate getting her into good shape and getting some weight on her before you go worrying too much.

Can you post your other pictures please , we'd love to see a bit more of her and it would also help to get a better idea of condition etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaymeannexx Sat Jun 23 2012, 23:14

Need some help please??!! IMG_1780 i just took a few pictures of her Smile this one where she turned away you can sort of see the little baldy dots on her head
Jaymeannexx
Jaymeannexx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaymeannexx Sat Jun 23 2012, 23:16

Need some help please??!! IMG_1669
My baby girly and our 15 yr old alsation x rottweilers head lol Smile
Jaymeannexx
Jaymeannexx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 23 2012, 23:16

Ok shes here not bought from the best place, and looks like shes had a very poor start in life, but shes bound to blossom now in your care ... bless her little heart.

1st off i would be questioning your vet, we can all see shes way under 8wks old, was your vet giving a puppy vaccination designed for pups of 8wks with his or her eyes shut.
Could they not see this pup is too tiny and of poor condition Surprised to have her 1st vaccinations done.

As others have said Bakers diet is a NO NO and it could be her poor diet thats caused the hair loss.
If you havent already then i would bath her, as i bet her bedding at the so called breeders was rank. De flea her also
you can buy the frontline pump action spray one for her as she tiny, which you can buy at the vets.
You've said you have wormed her, so shes now had her 1st basic MOT check done.
Now its to chubby her up abit.
I would be tempted to feed her 5 meals a day as she tiny. Lactose is good so you can carry on feeding this maybe a breakfast time.
Her dry food you could soak in hot water. The kibble will swell and can be mashed with a fork, if shes umming and arring about eating it scrap abit of butchers tripe over the top and mix it into it.

If she was a pup i breed this is what she would be eatting ... so use it as a guide for your little lady, as i bet this bloke never gave you a diet sheet for her.

Morning boiled eggs, or a tin of rice pudding.
Early lunch time a meat meal of raw mince meat or pre soaked puppy complete ( fish4dogs, or Simpsons)
Dinner time .. Boiled Chicken
Evening meal If pups had mince meat for lunch then it would be puppy complete, and vs versa.

Because shes away from her litter mates she wont have no competition for food, so she may pick at it, and because shes so diddy i would try and get her to eat even if that means hand feeding her.
I've hand feed pups in the past, and yes they do get into a habit of you feeding them this way, but once she hits 4mths old knock it on the head it wont hurt her now to miss a meal if she playing up and wants to be hand fed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 23 2012, 23:24

She looks lovely . I have to say it's not easy to see from the photos but Tilly did have some spots like this on her head when she was a pup and she did grow out of them, but obviously I can't say whether Balou will , I'm not a Vet. Get her built up a bit and see how you go, I am 10000% sure though there is no way she is 9 weeks old, she has got a little tummy on her though bless Love Struck my guess is 6-7weeks tops

*** I've just seen Denise has posted as I've been writing this, please listen well to her advice as a good breeder , I can only tellyou my experience but Denise has been doing this for years and is a very valuable member of our team***

Thanks Denise , was really hoping you would come along soon thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 23 2012, 23:26

Jaymeannexx wrote:Need some help please??!! IMG_1780 i just took a few pictures of her Smile this one where she turned away you can sort of see the little baldy dots on her head

Was her litter mates still there when you bought her ???

As my initial thought is their bite marks from the rough play stafford pups do. They can and do mark each other and their little bite mark wounds scab, when the scab falls they leave a bald mark but in time as the cuts are just surface wounds the fur grows back.
Get yourself some evening primrose oil capsules, pierce the capsule and rub the oil over the bald skin. The oil will keep the skin soft so allowing new fur growth too appear.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 23 2012, 23:33

Denise wrote:
Was her litter mates still there when you bought her ???

Hmmmmmmm..... never even thought of puppy damage and I should know very well when I look at the results of Tommy and his little antics wrecking by beautiful little girl's face , though it's only temporary I'm sure. Poor Tilly she puts up with so much Sad Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaymeannexx Sat Jun 23 2012, 23:34

ok thankyou Smile and nope he didnt tell me nothing about her really he was a really weird one only thing he said shes been eating is bakers complete but i now know its no good lol.

i fed her weetabix the other morning as i thought it would help her gain a little extra weight, and i think she loved it! and the only things iv been feeding her that i eat is ham/chicken slices/scrambled egg which iv been told is good for them.

and when i feed her in the morning & evening i give her a little bowl of Lactol milk aswell hoping this will help her grow and look more healthy fingers crossed.

oh dont worry about that i went straight to the pet shop after getting her and bought medicated shampoo that helps with their coat because she STUNK of wee and felt greasy Sad which since iv had her as soon as she wees on the newspaper its cleared up and a clean lot is put down, anyway so i gave her a lovely bath when we got in, we bought a lovely pink bed for her hehe :p so i made it all comfy and bought a few soft teddyish toys for her to play with as she is only small! but shes settled in really well now.

and with treats i bought bakers ones which are mini bones & healthy hearts for her their only soft things but she cant even chew them properly shes like an actual baby bless her <3

but after everyone helping me and telling me whats good for her to eat now im definatly going to try it all and see how she gets on because i really dont like the thought of her not looking or being in full health Sad x
Jaymeannexx
Jaymeannexx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaymeannexx Sat Jun 23 2012, 23:37

the only other pup there was her brother but he looked in much better condition and if i can vagely remember he looked a little chunkier than my girly. i thought they could be marks from play fighting as they have strong jaws and very sharp little needle teeth but then the fur on her back is just like its molting but too much! she has no marks on her back either. i can try get a decent picture of her back to see what you think of it if you like?
Jaymeannexx
Jaymeannexx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 23 2012, 23:45

Please keep us updated Jayme and that means pictures , pictures and more pictures, plus a weight record , we want to see a little tubby pup on a pink bed on here in 2 weeks time tops Big Grin It sounds like you have been really trying with her and you've done the best thing possible to come here for advice (don't tell Denise but she is really good whistling ) It's onward and upward from here.
A very valid point made by Denise which I never thought about but maybe you should look for another Vet in your area (unless you have paid up front for the whole course of jabs like me) and regarding the Breeder and the DWP from Galadriel , then that is also a good thing to do.
If nothing else you know you've given him a bit of trouble like he's giving his pups and new owners, and like all life , what goes around comes around !!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 23 2012, 23:47

Jaymeannexx wrote:the only other pup there was her brother but he looked in much better condition and if i can vagely remember he looked a little chunkier than my girly. i thought they could be marks from play fighting as they have strong jaws and very sharp little needle teeth but then the fur on her back is just like its molting but too much! she has no marks on her back either. i can try get a decent picture of her back to see what you think of it if you like?

So sounds like you've maybe had the runt of the litter , but the runts often turn out to be the best dogs in the long run Smile good luck

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaymeannexx Sat Jun 23 2012, 23:49

Need some help please??!! IMG_1786

this is what her back looks like from her fur falling out
Jaymeannexx
Jaymeannexx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 23 2012, 23:54

I honestly don't know what to say to this Jayme other than you will know yourself as a hooman when you are run down your skin will never be what it should be , she should be on the way up now so I would hope you can see some improvement , unless anyone disagrees you are going to change her diet and start chunking her up and it will take time to get results so I would certainly give it a few days , maybe a week and reassess it then.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaymeannexx Sun Jun 24 2012, 00:07

i will definatly keep you all updated i love this site <3
so many beautiful pictures of everyones dogs and so many helpful people.

and about the vet it kind of shocked me that she didnt say she was underweight for a 9 week staff, cause she only weighed 2lb more than the baby in my belly which is tiny! iv been looking for my scales to weigh her now its been a week since we see the vet im hoping shes put on some weight!

and im definatly going to try all these food suggestions for her anything that will help my four legged furry baby get to full health and a healthy weight im going to try!

and about the fur my mum works for an aloe vera company that does a product for animals that have problems with their coats and all the pictures show it works really well and its just an aloe vera spray that you wipe the area down with to clean it and some jelly that makes their skin healthy and helps their fur to grow through all lovely which i got yesterday that im going to try aswell to see if this would help her look all lovely and glossy so im hoping this will work for her Smile x
Jaymeannexx
Jaymeannexx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 24 2012, 00:11

Jaymeannexx wrote:
and about the fur my mum works for an aloe vera company that does a product for animals that have problems with their coats and all the pictures show it works really well and its just an aloe vera spray that you wipe the area down with to clean it and some jelly that makes their skin healthy and helps their fur to grow through all lovely which i got yesterday that im going to try aswell to see if this would help her look all lovely and glossy so im hoping this will work for her Smile x

Make sure after you've road tested the product you give us some information on here if you find it works Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 24 2012, 00:17

Lets at the moment concentrate on getting her some weight on.
She does look very wormie, so get yourself some Drontal puppy wormer and worm her every 2 weeks. Her breeder should of done this from 2wks of age, but your now have to do what he never.
I know you have wormed her, but her bloated belly is suggesting shes infested with the buggers, and what ever goodness you feed her they are pinching.
The balding could be puppy mange, the mange mite pups are born with, and infact all dogs have the mite, but on a healthy dog with a good immune system the buggers are kept in check and dont cause any problems.
A young puppys immune system gets suppressed during teething and the buggers start to multiply resulting in the fur falling out.
Most puppy mange if left as the balding is just localized disappears on its own, but in some cases the pups immune system needs a help in hand from the vets.
I have used in the past with good results Advocate which is applied like frontline once a month for 3 months. But the pups it was used on were of teething age and not as young as your girl, so i would seek vet advise if this product can be used safely on a pup so young.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaymeannexx Sun Jun 24 2012, 00:18

Will do Big Grin thanks for everything everyone >Big Grin<
Jaymeannexx
Jaymeannexx

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 24 2012, 00:22

Hi there, & welcome to the forum. The best bit of advice I can offer is to listen to Denise regarding feeding - she knows what she's talking about!

Jaymeannexx wrote:i fed her weetabix the other morning as i thought it would help her gain a little extra weight, and i think she loved it! and the only things iv been feeding her that i eat is ham/chicken slices/scrambled egg which iv been told is good for them.

Personally I wouldn't giver her weetabix - wheat isn't all that good for dogs. And I certainly wouldn't give her slices of processed ham or chicken. If you feed her meat it should be the proper stuff. You can get it pretty cheaply from the frozen compartments of the bigger pet stores.

Her fur loss could be one of several things; bite marks, alopecia, mites or poor nutrition. If I were you I'd get some good food into her at least 4 or 5 times a day over the next week or so and see if that helps her coat before you do anything else. If it doesn't seem to be clearing a little in a fortnight, then take her back to the vets for possibly a skin scrape in case it's mites.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do her proud!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 24 2012, 00:28

Caryll wrote:
Personally I wouldn't giver her weetabix - wheat isn't all that good for dogs.
Good luck, I'm sure you'll do her proud!

thumbs up thumbs up

I didn't know about the Weetabix as we used to give Tilly it for a treat I didn't think twice about our breeder giving it , but it was clear about using Goat's Milk for it . Might add it was also not every day and they also gave him porridge and scrambled egg so I suppose on average 2-3 times a week.

What do you think about porridge Caryll , and if its ok would you make it with Goats milk or water ??

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 24 2012, 00:37

I've given pups porridge loads of times - I make it with goats milk cause tbh water makes it look disgusting & I shouldn't think it tastes very nice either! sick

Years ago I gave pups weetabix or farley's rusks, but I wouldn't now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 24 2012, 00:39

If you make porridge with water its gonna taste like wall paper paste sick
Goats milk or mix it with some lactol would make it more tasty for the young up start Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 24 2012, 00:41

Well, I've never actually tasted wall paper paste, but I think I'll take your word for it! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 24 2012, 00:42

Caryll wrote:I've given pups porridge loads of times - I make it with goats milk cause tbh water makes it look disgusting & I shouldn't think it tastes very nice either! sick

Years ago I gave pups weetabix or farley's rusks, but I wouldn't now.

Looks like Tommy's on porridge in the morning then , 6 o clock start for me as I'm playing Dads Taxi tomorrow and want to make sure Tilly gets a decent walk , she's not going to like it though as we never go anywhere before 9-9.30 on a Saturday or Sunday, she likes her lie in with Daddy (my OH will be up at 5 starting the dinner as she's a little loopy)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 24 2012, 00:43

Neither have i but when mixed with water the look of it looks like it would. sick Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 24 2012, 00:44

Denise wrote:If you make porridge with water its gonna taste like wall paper paste sick
Goats milk or mix it with some lactol would make it more tasty for the young up start Smile

Hope you're not referring to my young upstart there Denise , he's not an upstart he's the Tomminator Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 24 2012, 00:45

Denise wrote:Neither have i but when mixed with water the look of it looks like it would. sick Laughing

Oh well , Tommy did decide to rip some wall paper off the other day , if he's not hungry at least I know what I can do with it Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 24 2012, 00:46

I was referring to the other liccle upstart not your hooligan the Tomminator ( love the nick name for him rolling on the floor )

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 24 2012, 00:48

Denise wrote:I was referring to the other liccle upstart not your hooligan the Tomminator ( love the nick name for him rolling on the floor )

I renamed his littermate Maisie the Maisinator as she was always scrapping and always on top , when we got Tommy home we realised he was saving the best bit for last Smile and he took the crown

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum