Roxey and my little girl

5 posters

Go down

Roxey and my little girl Empty Roxey and my little girl

Post by Bizbok Wed Jun 20 2012, 15:25

Hey

New to the forum and have been reading through some of the posts to see if anyone else has had the same problem and had no luck. Roxey is 13 weeks old and she has been with us for nearly 3 weeks. She is very clever and is picking up training very quickly.. But today I was washing up in the kitchen and had my back to Roxey and my little girl (Nevaeh is 3 on the 29th of June).

When I heard Roxey bark and turned to see her jump up on Nevaeh and try to bite her. I immediately seperated them and told Roxey no. I have no idea why Roxey jumped and barked and tried to bite Nevaeh I didnt hear Nevaeh do anything to provoke it. Also this has never happened before. Nevaeh is upset with Roxey and said take her back. I don't know what to do, Roxey went to her bed and lay down when I told her no with her ears back looking sorry for herself. I really dont want to take Roxey back but dont want Roxey behaving this way to Nevaeh when they were getting along so well upto this point.

Roxey and my little girl IMG_20120619_200230
Bizbok
Bizbok
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Roxey
Dog(s) Ages : 12/03/2012 14wks
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Roxey and my little girl Empty Re: Roxey and my little girl

Post by donch03 Wed Jun 20 2012, 15:33

Hi there, not sure what to advise as I am not an experienced stafford owner but didn't want to read and run. I am bringing a pup home on friday and have a 2 year old and a 4 month old. I suspect what Roxey is doing is normal puppy behaviour but that you should keep an eye on her and make sure she knows her boundaries. This will take time though but with consistency she will soon learn what is acceptable and what is not xx
donch03
donch03
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bella Blue
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by debtom Wed Jun 20 2012, 15:38

My Caley also does this and was really bad when we first got her. I have an 8 year old boy and she did this to him as well, we just was consistent with the no and walking away and ignoring her, my son had to do this as well...4 weeks later she has improved greatly it is only when she gets really over excited she tries it but she is definitely improving, I think it is just normal puppy behaviour.
debtom
debtom
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Roxey and my little girl Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Caley
Dog(s) Ages : Born 2 April 2012
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster's_Mum Wed Jun 20 2012, 15:50

This is normal puupy behaviour so dont panic! For now I would not leave them alone together. If you have to do something where you cant be watching them then they need to be seperated (I know it's not easy as I have Buster, LuLu, a 5 1/2 yr old and an almost 2 yr old) You will need to supervise them and when Roxey goes to jump up and bite give her a firm no, and maybe remove her from the room. She will learn this isnt acceptable. Normally when a pup nips you tell them no and turn your back to ignore them, if you think that Neveah will be able to do this get her to do it also.

When they play with litter mates and other dogs they bark and fight with eachother, she needs to learn that she can't do this with people Smile
Buster's_Mum
Buster's_Mum
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Roxey and my little girl Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buster, LuLu (chinese crested)
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months, 3 1/2 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Bizbok Wed Jun 20 2012, 16:22

Think I was just looking for some reassurance. Just had Nevaeh training her to sit, stay, lie down and give paw under supervission of course.

Thinking that maybe Roxey feels she is dominant to Nevaeh and I hope that with a little consistancy Roxey will know her place in our 'pack'. Nevaeh training Roxey with treats was very successful just, so I will continue to to do this.

I will keep them seperated in future whilst I am doing the chores, I just felt that being in the same room with them was enough. I will be more vigilant and watchful until I have more confidence in them both. Thanks so much for responding so quickly and with good advice. x
Bizbok
Bizbok

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Roxey
Dog(s) Ages : 12/03/2012 14wks
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 20 2012, 18:44

I too have a 3yr old (just turned 3) and Kodi a 4mth staffie boy, he did try the jumping, nipping, hair pulling etc but with firm NO's and Danni also teaching him sit etc the problem was solved within a few weeks Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 20 2012, 22:38

The behaviour is normal so don't panic. She is a pup and that is how she plays with her litter mates and that is how they start to play. For now I would not allow you daughter and pup to interact without supervision. With you pup you will have to have everyone in the house turn their back and ignore her when she nips or jumps up. She is seeking attention and will stop after a time if she learns her behaviour gets her ignored instead.

She will also start to teeth soon which means she will want to chew. A frozen Kong stuffed with treats or frozen sweet potato slices or carrots will help her with that

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Thu Jun 21 2012, 09:08

Puppies jump and bite, it's normal for them, they don't know that humans don't like it. It's up to us to teach them the rules Smile

Galadriel
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down