Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

removed Empty Re: removed

Post by Guest Mon Jun 11 2012, 12:12

Cesar Milan's approach to most dog training is confrontational!

When he bites or jumps up say "No!" and turn away. If he keeps doing the same thing, just pick him up (I hope he's still small enough to pick up!) and put him out of the room. Only tell him "No" once. If you put him out of the room, don't say anything, just pick him up & avoid all other contact - certainly don't look him in the eye.

If his gums are sore, you can get some puppy teething gel from the pet stores -it does work. Or try some frozen bananas or carrots to chew on. Also, have you thought about getting him a stag bar? It'll help with his teething and it's hypoallergenic so it won't upset his stomach!

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Mon Jun 11 2012, 12:20

I do what Caryll has stated and it does work!
goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 11 2012, 12:23

Agree with Caryll it just takes time, patience and consistancy. Teething is a hard phase to get through but we've all been there and it will improve

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Mon Jun 11 2012, 12:23

same problem, same age puppy, she got to it a bit earlier than yours! Caryll and the good folks here game me the same advice, and it's working. She has cut back a LOT on the nipping and growling at me to get attention or play. worst case, i grab her scruff and give her a big, bellowing NO!! but don't want to do that unless it's a LAST RESORT, as others here and trainers have said I want my hands to be good things to her, not sources of pain or big scary stuff.
Girly
Girly
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
removed Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jellybean
Dog(s) Ages : born 6 Feb 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 46

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Mon Jun 11 2012, 13:04

I agree with Caryll; also you say he does it when you're trying to correct him, what are you correcting him for?

Instead of telling him not to do something, tell him what you want him to do then reward him for it. For example, if he's, say getting too close to you when you're eating. Instead of saying 'no', tell him where you want him to be like on his bed then reward him for doing it. Make staying on his bed more rewarding for him than pestering you for your food if you see what I mean Smile

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by eddypeck Mon Jun 11 2012, 13:22

removed

Last edited by eddypeck on Wed Jun 27 2012, 10:08; edited 1 time in total

eddypeck

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 11 2012, 13:32

It's something we all go through and honestly it's just a matter of patience and consistancy. All of the behaviour is perfectly normal and nothing to be overly concerned with. Just keep doing what you are doing and have faith that it will work out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Mon Jun 11 2012, 13:48

Don't take this the wrong way but you're setting him up to fail. If you can't supervise him and divert him onto chewing a toy he is allowed instead of the washing etc. then he should be somewhere puppy proof. Don't leave him with access to the washing or somewhere where there are things in reach that he's not allowed.

If he does it more when people are round then he's most likely just too excited and forgets his manners. Give him something to do when people come round like a bully stick or a stuffed, frozen Kong.

If he's often trying to get your attention then he might not be getting enough stimulation. Obviously you can't walk him loads at his age but how many training sessions/play times do you have each day? Giving him his meals out of a Kong helps to keep them occupied too.

Have a read of this - http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/AFTER%20You%20Get%20Your%20Puppy.pdf it's over 100 pages long so you probably won't be able to read it in one go but go back to it. Ian Dunbar is considered to be one of the worlds best on dog behaviour. He's a bit dramatic but it's well worth a read.

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 11 2012, 15:04

eddypeck wrote:Thinking now I am most probably looking in the eye and trying to stare him down quite naturally without thinking. so I guess I'll try not to.

trying to grab the scruff of his neck or get hold of his collar I've found he's very quick and will get his head round to the get your hand or wrist. I currently have a chunk out of my little finger, when he got a little over enthusiatic.

Try not to stare him in the eye or grab at him. Youngsters are surprisingly quick when they want to be & a grab will put him on the defensive.

Does he know the 'sit' command and/or the 'stay' command?

Back to top Go down

Post by eddypeck Mon Jun 11 2012, 23:59

removed

eddypeck

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down