Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

removed Empty Re: removed

Post by Guest Fri May 18 2012, 12:18

Sounds like he is simply testing his boundaries and seeking attention. When he nips simply ignore him completely. Turn around and ignore him every time. He is seeking attention and if you give it to him it will reinforce the behaviour. If you ignore him he will learn that this isn't the way to get attention.

Sounds like a great looking cross could you post some pics

Back to top Go down

removed Empty removed

Post by eddypeck Fri May 18 2012, 12:45

removed

Last edited by eddypeck on Wed Jun 27 2012, 10:02; edited 1 time in total

eddypeck

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri May 18 2012, 12:52

Diesel sounds like he is testing you out to see how far he can push his luck. Try not to chase after him when he runs away with his toys as he will see this as part of the game. Try just ignoring him and turn your back.

Any good behaviour, and I'm sure there will be some, should be rewarded with either a small treat or some fuss.

Try to instill the idea that good behaviour gets rewards and being naughty is ignored. I'm sure he will rather then be good.

Btw he is gorgeous.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 18 2012, 12:53

He's very handsome and love the puppy pics.

Here is a link that should help make sharing pics here easier for you and the account is free

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t12017-how-to-post-a-photos-onto-the-forum

Back to top Go down

Post by eddypeck Fri May 18 2012, 13:01

removed

eddypeck

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 18 2012, 13:06

At that age with the cross breed I'm sure he is a handfull. How frequently and for how long is he getting a walk. In general they should have a 5 minute walk for every month of age two or three times per day.

They are a high energy breed and if not given enough exercise they will tend to act out. Mental stimulation through training is also important. How many training sessions a day are you doing?

Back to top Go down

Post by eddypeck Fri May 18 2012, 13:27

removed

Last edited by eddypeck on Wed Jun 27 2012, 10:17; edited 1 time in total

eddypeck

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 18 2012, 13:37

At his age he is much too young for a sling pole or backpack. I would try adding in some seek activities. Try hiding food around the house and making him find it. It's good mental stimulation for him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 18 2012, 13:38

He could also be teething at that age so have plenty of frozen treats like sliced carrots and and sweet potatos for him

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Fri May 18 2012, 13:40

What do u feed him on ?

As well as physical exercise he will need excercise for the mind too.....

Does he have a kong chew toy ? This will aid in him not chewing your house !

4 mths old is around start of teething age, painful gums = unhappy puppy. Frozen carrots are fab for sore gums.

Keep training consistent, every human needs to be able to do this. Teach him 'off' leave, down etc or a simple vocal correction sound can work too for when he's being naughty ( I do this with my 9 wk old pup ).

He jumps on the sofa, u tell him to get Off, or teach him to not get on the sofa in the first place. Any sort of training can be achieved using treats.

To me, a dog that chews ur house and barks is bored and frustrated.... Exercise and training is the only answer.

Also, don't let it be common knowledge that you own a pit cross, in the UK pits and crosses are banned unfortunately so best to introduce him as a staffy x rotti only IMO.

Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by eddypeck Fri May 18 2012, 13:53

removed

eddypeck

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 18 2012, 14:30

eddypeck wrote:Ok, I get the theory but in real life when he's jumped up on the sofa and is barking at you and scratching and biting at the upholstry (which we haven't even finished paying for) what do you do?

I'm also struggling with the 'he does something naughty, so make him do something good, then reward the good' does that not teach to be naughty first ? ? ? ?

Firstly, if he's misbehaving on the sofa, don't let him up! I know it sounds harsh, but until he can behave himself you should keep him firmly on the floor. Once he's grasped a few basic rules you can ry letting him come up, but only when invited, never just when he feels like it.

Secondly, dogs don't think & reason the way we do - he won't think "If I do something wrong, then they'll tell me to do something right & I'll get a treat!" What they do think is "That behaviour gets me a treat" or "That behaviour doesn't get me a treat".

Something I'm quite passionate about is teaching dogs not to be food possessive/aggressive. Personally, I just won't have it! If he growls at you, tell him "No!" and pick up his food bowl. Then you can get him to sit & wait. Then, either put the food down again & stroke him while he eats or hand feed him the rest at a level where he can see you getting the food out of his bowl. Before you give him his food, always make him sit & wait & never let him go to the bowl until you give him a trigger word such as "OK" or "Go on" etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Fri May 18 2012, 14:49

Yep, make him see his meals as a reward.

I have my Diesel sit, wait then Shake paw with each one before I put the bowl down. I can even hold a treat in front of her nose telling her to leave it, then a simple ' go on then' when she's allowed.
Jackieb
Jackieb

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by eddypeck Fri May 18 2012, 14:57

removed

Last edited by eddypeck on Wed Jun 27 2012, 10:03; edited 1 time in total

eddypeck

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by eddypeck Fri May 18 2012, 14:58

removed

eddypeck

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyRoo Fri May 18 2012, 16:34

hi, just wondering if you have tried shoving your way into his food bowl with a very tasty treat in your hand, if he doesnt growl then open your hand and let him have the tasty treat and carry on with his meal. we have done this with all our dogs in the past and are training our pup the same way. we had a very food aggressive rescue a few years back and doing this (it took some guts the 1st few times but even the slightest hint of a grumble we simply backed off) soon had him openly letting us near his bowl incase he got a tasty treat out of letting us close. not sure if this would help you or not given how far he goes for you.

RubyRoo
RubyRoo
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ruby
Dog(s) Ages : Born 26/2/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by eddypeck Fri May 18 2012, 16:39

removed

eddypeck

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 19 2012, 01:43

eddypeck wrote:
jstaff wrote:At his age he is much too young for a sling pole or backpack. I would try adding in some seek activities. Try hiding food around the house and making him find it. It's good mental stimulation for him.

Sorry, but what do you mean by a sling pole or backpack? thanks.

A sling pole is a toy that allows them to play tug of war by themselves. IT helps tire them out but they need to be 18 months at least so they don't harm their maturity. A backpack is a harness you put on them and add weight to but again if they arenn't physically mature it will do more harm than good

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 19 2012, 11:34

eddypeck wrote: The fact that he seems fine if you're there from the start of the meal, he only growls when I come back to him.

This is generally called 'Resource Guarding' by people who don't want to spend the time/effort getting a dog not to growl at them over food! Laughing I've had loads of arguments with people on a GSD forum I post on over this. Ti my mind, I don't care what the excuse is (other than pain or fear) I don't allow my dogs to growl/snap at me over food.

I would say that once he has his food, he feels it's his. Whilst you are standing there, it isn't quite his yet so he'll allow you to fiddle with it etc. However, once you go away that food becomes his, totally & he doesn't want you to have it.

How many meals does he have a day?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 19 2012, 11:34

Im sorry but NEVER try to force your way into his bowl with a treat in your hand, you WILL get your hand mauled.

The thing i can suggest is that when he has a toy make him drop it with a treat and when he is misbehaving on the sofa grab by the scruff and take out of the room, he wont have the pleasure oof being with you. as for the food agro, a lot of dogs are food agro so just leave him to eat and avoid going near him

Honestly i dont think you are engaging his brain enough. rotties and staffs are very intelligent and if there is the possibility of some collie then you really will have a hyper/smart dog that you will need to keep active and engaged. as said try some seeking games and set up a small agility course and really make him work his brain and body. a tired dog is a well behaved dog as steve always says!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 19 2012, 11:44

Equi wrote: as for the food agro, a lot of dogs are food agro so just leave him to eat and avoid going near him

You see, this is what I don't agree with. Food aggression should never be allowed. What if your dog is eating something & a child tries to pick it up? What if you're at the park & a child is eating sweets/ice cream, drops it & then tries to take it the same time as your dog? It happens.

If a dog is truly food aggressive then he/she should be muzzled on every walk, but I don't think this is the case here. This is possessiveness, not aggression as such.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 19 2012, 12:01

Bella was quite food possessive when I got her. Following the advice given here she is now great. It did take a while with her because she would growl, snap and push her head against your hand if it was near her but I just kept going with it every meal. I still make her sit and wait until she is told to take it and from time to time pat her and touch her food just to reinforce it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 19 2012, 12:10

Equi wrote:Im sorry but NEVER try to force your way into his bowl with a treat in your hand, you WILL get your hand mauled.

I do agree with this, though! If the dog is already showing signs of possessiveness then he may well snap without thinking!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down