Debo and the kids

2 posters

Go down

Crying Debo and the kids

Post by jola139 Thu May 31 2012, 14:01

Ok,so after his first few walks he calmed down a bit. He still bites Sad,I can handle him, it's just really annoying and just want it to stop. But the problem is with the kids. I work as a nanny and the lovely family let to bring Debo along so he doesn't stay at home by himself. They've got 4 kids ( 8,11,13,14) and a dog labradoodle (5 yr). Debo spent few days in there house because I had to go to POland for a funeral and we didn't want to leave him in the kennel . At that time he tried to play with the dog's tail and bit it,from now on the dog just hates him. Him getting closer it's enough for her to growl and bark,she also pin DEbo on to the ground twice. What can I do ,just leave them to sort things out. He's great with other dogs,very friendly.
And now to the kids.
They don't understand that it's not Labradoodle which will just lay down and let them pat him. When they see him they' re getting very exited ,jump around. It makes Debo exited and he starts to nibble. Same with they playing with him ,they running away,which makes him think it's great game to catch who ever is running away= bite. Rolling on the ground,basically they play with him using their bodies. What can I do to teach him that biteing is not allowed and teach them that this is different type of dog to what they have at home? Sad
jola139
jola139
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Debo
Dog(s) Ages : 7,5 yeras
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 106

Back to top Go down

Crying Re: Debo and the kids

Post by janey Thu May 31 2012, 18:31

TBH Debo isn't doing anything wrong with the kids, its not so much training him, but training the kids on how to act around him, he is a pup and will act like a pup. The nipping will stop in time if you and everyone including the kids act correctly around him.

I can't really help on the lab thing, I wouldn't leave them to get on with but could you poss take them out together rather than just let them play ruff? I'm sure whatever probs they have it will work out as long as Debo is trained.

Do remember he is a pup though and there not overnight miracles, give it time, and calm the kids lol!!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Thu May 31 2012, 20:51

Yep,i had a talk with them today,explaining them what games they can play and runnig away,rolling on ground etc is a big no no . Also told to not get over exited when greeting him. Explained what damage he could do as a adult dog. Seems to work,even went over the top saying that if he bites them when he's an adult,he might be taken away and put to sleep,even if it wasn't his fault. Also made for them plastic botle with stonse inside,so every time Debo goes for them ,they shake it . We tested it and Debo responds very well to that. I know they need training,told them that they have keep up with the rules and Debo will get it.
The Labro thing, I let them sort things out by themself,only when she goes for more then a growl and bark I tell her off. Don't want her to harm Debo. Also give her lots of attention so she doesn't feel jealous. Don't know what else can do?
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Thu May 31 2012, 20:54

Oh and the dogs are fine on the walk. Can walk them both -no problem. Debo in one hand and lab in the other. They walk in the straight line,no messing around,so he's learning lots from her.
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 01 2012, 00:06

I would say to speak with the kids as well as Debo is just doing what comes natural. Instead of telling them they must do this ask them if the will help youi train Debo

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Fri Jun 01 2012, 07:56

Forgot to add, they really want help with training and doing great.They are trying but when comes to game forgating it's just a dog
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down