New Dog laws - 18months prison

3 posters

Go down

New Dog laws - 18months prison  Empty New Dog laws - 18months prison

Post by Guest Tue May 15 2012, 06:39

Just missed this on Daybreak, hopefully a move in the right direction and get rid of some idiots off the street, according to my OH though they still had to feature 6 staffys as part of the news feed angry

http://www.itv.com/news/story/2012-05-15/dangerous-dog-laws/

Back to top Go down

New Dog laws - 18months prison  Empty Re: New Dog laws - 18months prison

Post by Guest Tue May 15 2012, 07:33

My only worry would be that there would be a major abuse of power sometimes. Especially if the magistrate is already prejudiced against certain breeds, or even if the dog isn't actually dangerous and attacked with provocation. I can imagine, if it came down to a staff and a Yorkie, even if the Yorkie started it, the staff would be destroyed, the Yorkie Owner would be compensated and free to carry on provoking other dogs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 15 2012, 08:31

I saw that as well, agree shonetelle

Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue May 15 2012, 09:29

Sorry didnt see the report but Shontelle sounds about spot on to me.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 15 2012, 10:31

I agree that it's about time irresponsible d*ck heads were jailed for letting their dogs be out of control & dangerous, but how many will actually be sent to prison?

I've already seen comments about muzzling all dogs, or at least the 'fighting' dogs (one person actually included a dachshund and a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel in that! Rolling Eyes ).

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Tue May 15 2012, 10:32

Didn't see it either but agree with Shontelle on this one!
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tinkerbell
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 15 2012, 10:40

Yep, if it comes between a "nice" dog and a staffy it will be the staffys fault. That makes my blood boil.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 15 2012, 10:50

Caryll wrote:I agree that it's about time irresponsible d*ck heads were jailed for letting their dogs be out of control & dangerous, but how many will actually be sent to prison?

I've already seen comments about muzzling all dogs, or at least the 'fighting' dogs (one person actually included a dachshund and a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel in that! Rolling Eyes ).

only right if you look at there origins there both game dogs dachund originality breed for badger hunting and the king charles cavalier spaniel were used by the royles in groups for walk a bouts to keep rats at bay Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 15 2012, 10:51

As usual, of course, the debate centres on staffs/pitbulls & crosses thereof. What, does no other dog bite? Does no other dog get the right ump when stupid people allow their kids to pinch, punch & generally tease a dog till it's past breaking point?

People need to grow up & see the wider picture. I'm starting to see that to an extent, Steve's right - society has to be changed before we can get on top of the out of control dogs.

Throw bad owners into prison for 5 years & ban them from ever having animals again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 15 2012, 10:56

bigwazza wrote:only right if you look at there origins there both game dogs dachund originality breed for badger hunting and the king charles cavalier spaniel were used by the royles in groups for walk a bouts to keep rats at bay Big Grin

Yes, but neither are/were 'fighting' dogs. If you go by that, then we should also ban all....

Hounds
Terriers
Gundogs
Sheepdogs
Utility dogs (ie those that were bred specifically for guarding - Shar Peis, Dalmations - bred to run with the carriage & protect it - Pekinese....the list is endless)

They are all bred for hunting/guarding.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 15 2012, 10:59

that is the major problem without hard facts the un educated do not relies how many breeds of dog have fighting/hunting tendinitis ie all terriers have been used for hunting in history even down to chiwowwows(lol sp) they were actually a verry knimble little dog that was a very good snake dog in mexico not that you would know it now as they never run and are carried all over lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 15 2012, 11:05

Caryll wrote:
bigwazza wrote:only right if you look at there origins there both game dogs dachund originality breed for badger hunting and the king charles cavalier spaniel were used by the royles in groups for walk a bouts to keep rats at bay Big Grin

Yes, but neither are/were 'fighting' dogs. If you go by that, then we should also ban all....

Hounds
Terriers
Gundogs
Sheepdogs
Utility dogs (ie those that were bred specifically for guarding - Shar Peis, Dalmations - bred to run with the carriage & protect it - Pekinese....the list is endless)

They are all bred for hunting/guarding.

caryll im looking at this as a step in the right direction all dogs have the chance that they could be classed as dangourous in public all dogs can bite .
so yes i feel every dog should be under the cloud that they may be banned.
the point im getting at at some point all breeds were used for hunting or fighting so all have tasted blood at somepoint.
it just bugs me that people can not let the breeds past lye when the past of so many others just gets forgotten

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 15 2012, 11:13

I quite agree. My point is that they have specifically mentioned certain breeds and not others.

All dogs, in the wrong hands, can be dangerous. So why not just accept that the law should be there for all breeds and all owners & then let the law take care of wrongdoers without mention of breed?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 15 2012, 11:16

Caryll wrote:I quite agree. My point is that they have specifically mentioned certain breeds and not others.

All dogs, in the wrong hands, can be dangerous. So why not just accept that the law should be there for all breeds and all owners & then let the law take care of wrongdoers without mention of breed?

applause well put applause

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue May 15 2012, 12:23

18 month is a joke don't you think Rolling Eyes they not going put people off

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue May 15 2012, 12:24

this country need to wake up if you going send someone for doing something wrong punish them to the max is the only way of stopping people doing it.

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 15 2012, 12:25

Steve wrote:18 month is a joke don't you think Rolling Eyes they not going put people off

Especially if they don't actually get the full sentence. Which they probably won't. Five years would be more appropriate, I think.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue May 15 2012, 12:52

the prolly end up doing 6 months at wits end

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down