Time for Flea Drops

2 posters

Go down

Sad Time for Flea Drops

Post by sprokk3t Tue May 08 2012, 15:38

Wondering if anyone has come across this before.
Samson has been using Advocate for his monthly Flea treatment since around 4 months, due to Demodex, we were advised to treat him fortnightly initially. Afetr 8 months of this, he was moved to monthly for flea prevention and to stop Demodex returning (Vets advice)
In the past 4-5 months, it's been getting increasingly difficult and distressing to give Samson this treatment and I dread it coming every month. I explained to the vet nurse aho has told me to persevere but watching Samson last month broke my heart and we were all reduced to tears.
I've read about dogs having reactions to Advocate but if he has been having it for months, would this be the case?

Basically, every month it gets worse.
Last month, he knew the minute I brought it in the house. He refused to come near me and slinked away as if scared even if I was not carrying it.
When it was time to put it on, he had to be cuddled, fairly tighly by the OH. and I popped it on, very quickly. I didn't quite get the lot on, but left it.
Immediately Samson ran away and began pacing. We let him outside, and he continued to pace round and round the garden for over an hour.
When he came back in the house, he paced up and down the stairs and appeared frightened to come near us.
It was about 5-6 hours later before he would allow us near him, but still appeared nervous.
He seemed fine the following day, but for about 2 days after displayed possible dominant behaviour (humping - he is de-sexed) I think he may be trying to say "If I'm boss, you won't do that again!!"

Has anyone heard of this before or had this problem themselves?
I'm thinking of speaking with the vet, but hoped to get some advice here beforehand.
Sorry for the long post
sprokk3t
sprokk3t
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Samson
Dog(s) Ages : 23 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Sad Re: Time for Flea Drops

Post by sprokk3t Tue May 08 2012, 15:40

Sorry posted in wrong section oooppss!

Sorry, no I haven't doh

Last edited by sprokk3t on Tue May 08 2012, 15:43; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : confused myself!)
sprokk3t
sprokk3t

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Tue May 08 2012, 18:13

My Diesel dosent 'like' it, I distract her with a kong stuffed with tasty treats and hold it under my foot lol when she's fixated on it trying to eat it and take it I very quickly apply the advocate, she knows I've done it but by that time she's way to preoccupied with the kong.
She will scratch the back of her neck with her rear paws cause it's kinda greasy stuff and I can't imagine it feels nice.
I think distraction is key to most things !

As far as allergy to it, no idea but I'd imagine itching, soreness and redness as well as breathing issues should it be an allergy BUT as always best to talk to the vet.
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 08 2012, 21:50

I'd say that Samson has learned to fear the application of the drops - for what reason I can't say.

I really don't know why you should still be treating him for mites - does he have regular outbreaks?

I would have grave doubts about using those harsh chemicals so frequntly, tbh. Have you thought about using natural remedies? Or maybe a visit to an animal homeopath? Your vet should be able to point you in the right direction of an alternative health practice for animals in your area & if you're insured your insurance will probably cover the cost.

If you are interested in natural prevention/cure, you could try Neem Oil which is supposed to not only kill the mite, but also to prevent further attacks without harshness to the dog. It has to be made into a spray or a shampoo.
http://www.naturasil.co.uk/pet-mange/?gclid=CJuJ0afH8a8CFcRF3wodsmKJXQ

Back to top Go down

Post by sprokk3t Tue May 08 2012, 22:23

Thanks for your replies.

[/quote]I think distraction is key to most things !

I've thought this too, when it first started to become an issue, but he appears to be so aware of the drops being there, even before they are opened.

I'd say that Samson has learned to fear the application of the drops - for what reason I can't say.
[quote]

I am not sure either, I can't think of anything happening around the time of using the drops, or anything similar happening. The only thing that may have possibly triggered it would be his constant vet visits, for various reasons, a number of which resulted in jabs, all in the back of his neck. Maybe having something put to this area reminds him? He is fine to be touched here normally.

He only had the one outbreak of Demodex, but due to him having some immune system problems, it was difficult to shift. It seems to be completely gone now and we have had no problems for months. Including no vet visits Big Grin Just weight checks to keep him used to going without bad things

The vet said that he should be kept on prevention, for fleas/ticks also. We live in a small town and are fairly rural, were advised prevention was the best method.
Samson's reaction to prevention is awful to watch though and I don't think I can put him through it again Sad

I'll make an appointment with the Vet and have a chat, I will ask about some natural remedies Smile
Thanks for the link for the Neem Oil, I will keep this in mind, in case any problems rear their head again

sprokk3t
sprokk3t

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by sprokk3t Tue May 08 2012, 22:26

hmmm... my quotes seem to have went wrong. Sorry!! Newbie Syndrome!!! oooppss!
sprokk3t
sprokk3t

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down