Ear/eye drops

3 posters

Go down

Ear/eye drops Empty Ear/eye drops

Post by goldie87 Sat Sep 14 2013, 20:48

Zeus has had problems with his ears n eyes for almost 2 weeks now, his eyes had alot of gooey stuff coming out of them (vet diagnosed conjunctivitis) and he has been scratching his ears alot (mild ear infection).

The vet gave us eye drops and ear flush to help relieve this, but Zeus absolutely freaks out when you try to put them in. Freaking out is to put it mildly, he's lashes out, growls and gets pretty vicious, he's tried to bite me a few times too. I understand it may be sore for him, but how can I get past this? I can't put anything in to help him, he just runs or gets aggressive..
goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 9
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Ear/eye drops Empty Re: Ear/eye drops

Post by Guest Sat Sep 14 2013, 21:04

is he muzzle trained? it's one of the reasons i recommend all dogs be very very comfortable wearing one.

Also have you tried approaching the situation very slowly using treats and that?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 14 2013, 21:08

Poor Zeus, if only he could understand that you are trying to help him!

I don't think any dog likes having drops put into his eyes (and I've known a few humans protest strongly too!)

Do you have someone handy who can help you? If you have -

Keep calm yourselves, reassuring to Zeus and give him a treat. Get him to lie down - treat. Helper gently but firmly restrains Zeus - treat. Calm words, loving words. You gently hold open Zeus's eyelids with one hand (calm, loving words) and quickly drop in the medication. Praise, treats.

Same for the ear drops, although dogs generally love the gentle massaging in afterwards!

If he really does bite (as opposed to "I'm not happy, here are my teeth" mouthing) then a muzzle may be necessary for your own protection. But always reassure him throughout.

Good luck - it's hardly ever easy, whether with dogs or little humans.

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Sat Sep 14 2013, 21:22

ella wrote:is he muzzle trained? it's one of the reasons i recommend all dogs be very very comfortable wearing one.

Also have you tried approaching the situation very slowly using treats and that?
Hi Ella, he's not muzzle trained but I brought one today for this exact purpose. Apart from the biting, it didnt make a difference, he was fighting with us, jumping, kicking, everything he could to get out of the situation.

I haven't used treats etc but I will do so tomorrow.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Sat Sep 14 2013, 21:24

Lynda wrote:Poor Zeus, if only he could understand that you are trying to help him!

I don't think any dog likes having drops put into his eyes (and I've known a few humans protest strongly too!)

Do you have someone handy who can help you?  If you have -

Keep calm yourselves, reassuring to Zeus and give him a treat.  Get him to lie down - treat.  Helper gently but firmly restrains Zeus - treat.  Calm words, loving words.  You gently hold open Zeus's eyelids with one hand (calm, loving words) and quickly drop in the medication.  Praise, treats.  

Same for the ear drops, although dogs generally love the gentle massaging in afterwards!

If he really does bite (as opposed to "I'm not happy, here are my teeth" mouthing) then a muzzle may be necessary for your own protection.  But always reassure him throughout.

Good luck - it's hardly ever easy, whether with dogs or little humans.

Hi Lynda, my mum tried helping me with him, we were very calm etc and kept massaging him and saying good boy etc, but he even tried biting her. The muzzle didnt really help much (apart from the biting obviously) but like my previous post says, he was kicking, jumping etc.

The vet did say if we have problems putting them in and the problem is still there after a week, they'll have to sedate him and have a proper look. We had to put the muzzle on him at the vets too for this same reason.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 14 2013, 21:25

yes it won't stop the lashing out BUT will stop someone getting a nasty bite, whilst you work with him

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 14 2013, 22:04

I do know, believe me, how difficult this can be. Any animal or human will fight against having anything put into their eyes if they are not adult enough to understand that it's for their own good (and even then, natural reaction will cause the eyes to shut, which is why the eyelids have to be held open).

Which is why it generally takes two strong (both physically and mentally) people to administer eye drops to a Staffy!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 15 2013, 09:17

Fortunately for me my 2 are perfectly fine with stuff like this but we have made sure they are constantly handled everywhere including in the mouth etc since day 1 , it does really help for these situations . Perhaps once the condition is sorted for the poor fella you can up the anti on handling , grooming etc . Put some nice lotions on his ears ( doggy friendly like some E45 ) just so he gets used to a pleasant experience , check his eyes , mouth etc on a regular basis ( very carefully )

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Sun Sep 15 2013, 14:54

Thanks for your help guys, the funny thing is, we have always played with his eyes, ears, paws etc, for the exact reason that Dave has stated. It's only when he sees the bottle of ear or eye drops that he freaks out, therefore we normally put the lotion on our hands and then put them in his ear, but the flush is different because you have to pour it in. Heres hoping!
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sun Sep 15 2013, 17:28

Gosh I must be lucky, the number of things daisy's had to have in her eyes and ears!! She will let you but if she sees you coming will run off and hide!! I've always rewarded her afterwards with treats, after I do anything like that she sits and waits for her treat now!
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by canthavethat Fri Sep 20 2013, 11:44

Rocky used to run if he saw me carrying the bottle of eye drops. I eventually managed to get them in by putting the drop on my finger and then into his eye. It is difficult though when the liquid is thin and runny, you have to be really quick. It did get easier once he realised it wasn't going to hurt. Good luck!
canthavethat
canthavethat
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky, Bailey
Dog(s) Ages : March 2011, Feb 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Fri Sep 20 2013, 12:15

canthavethat wrote:Rocky used to run if he saw me carrying the bottle of eye drops. I eventually managed to get them in by putting the drop on my finger and then into his eye. It is difficult though when the liquid is thin and runny, you have to be really quick. It did get easier once he realised it wasn't going to hurt. Good luck!
Good idea! Thank you, I will try and hope it works!
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Fri Sep 20 2013, 12:29

Maybe try treat, drops, treat ?
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 21 2013, 08:15

How are zeus's eyes now, hope he's on the mend Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by canthavethat Mon Sep 23 2013, 16:40

Any luck?
canthavethat
canthavethat

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Wed Sep 25 2013, 16:36

No luck at all, unfortunately. I tried the finger technique but he figures out what I'm doing and freaks out. Tried almost everything and he just freaks out and tries nipping at my hand or running away.

His eyes are not much better either, alot of greeny/yellow gunky stuff coming out of them, especially in the mornings, don't know what to do with him now!

The tablets which the vets gave (prednisolone) didn't do nothing at all either!
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by canthavethat Wed Sep 25 2013, 19:31

Oh no! Maybe you will have to drop in to the vets every day so they can put the drops in? They will probably have to do it by getting four people to immobilise him though, and he will probably end up being a bit freaked out. Failing that, maybe a mild sedative each day before the drops? See what the vet suggests, it won't be the first time they have had this problem

Little ******s aren't they at wits end
canthavethat
canthavethat

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down