is it boredem o something why she chews so much

4 posters

Go down

is it boredem o something why she chews so much Empty is it boredem o something why she chews so much

Post by lsarah Tue May 08 2012, 10:02

hi all i have an 8 month old female who has chewed for awhile and its everytime we leave her in the kitchen or go out, we have kongs, rawhides, treat balls and normal tough toys but she would rather chew everything else.
she has chewed my door frames back to the concrete, my kitchen cupboards back to metal, she has chewed laces off shoes and whole shoes in less than an hour, she gets things off worktops even when we think she cant reach she somehow manages, i have had to buy new tea towels as she destroyed them to, she even managed to get the card from the sky box and destroy that, we thought she could just be bored and looked into gettin another staffie to keep her company but dont know wether this will help, anyones help or opinion would be much appriciated thank you
lsarah
lsarah
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : cassie
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months
Dog Gender(s) : bitch
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

is it boredem o something why she chews so much Empty Re: is it boredem o something why she chews so much

Post by Guest Tue May 08 2012, 10:10

yes it deff sounds that its a boardom thing how long do you leave her for
have you thought of crating her when out
and may not be a good idea getting another as if they are left alone for any length of time (even 5 minutes)if boardom sets in quick they could start getting ratty and a fight could breakout and you would return to a blood bath.
deff the best advice i could give would be the crateing option Big Grin

Back to top Go down

is it boredem o something why she chews so much Empty Re: is it boredem o something why she chews so much

Post by Guest Tue May 08 2012, 10:20

It does sound like boredom. I use a crate for Bella when I'm out and she is great in it. She just goes in and goes to sleep. I have 2 dogs but I keep them separated when I'm out, I wouldn't leave them alone together just in case of any disagreements getting out of hand Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by lsarah Tue May 08 2012, 10:21

even if she is left just for an hour she seem to find something, was hoping she might grow out of it, we didnt want to change her personality so thats why we were thinking long and hard about getting another but we were worried about what could happen when we go out and what we might come home to, at any opportunityshe has alone she will find something, i was tryin to put washing away the other day looked downstairs and she had my trainers and had my laces in pieces and that wasnt even 10 mins but other days she is fine, i take her out everyday for atleast an hour off her lead and running around a field
lsarah
lsarah

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : cassie
Dog(s) Ages : 11 months
Dog Gender(s) : bitch
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster's_Mum Tue May 08 2012, 10:29

It could be bordem, but sounds more like seperation anxiety to me. Our last staffy would destroy things when left alone, he hated it. We crate trained him and he was much better with being left after and he loved his crate, if he knew we were going out he would run in there and wait for his treat and kong. I would give crate training a go Smile
Buster's_Mum
Buster's_Mum
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
is it boredem o something why she chews so much Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buster, LuLu (chinese crested)
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months, 3 1/2 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 08 2012, 10:57

How much exercise is she getting? I would try to take her for a walk before leaving her alone and then gradually increasing the time she is left alone.

You can put bitter apple, vicks vapor rub or vinegar on the things you don't want her to chew and this will discourage the behaviour as well

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 08 2012, 12:04

Buster's_Mum wrote:It could be bordem, but sounds more like seperation anxiety to me.

I think it sounds more like seperation anxiety as well. She just doesn't feel confident left on her own.

I think a crate might help as long as you introduce her to it gradually. Get an old curtain or other heavy material & drape it over the crate so that 3 sides are covered, she'll feel more comfortable & secure.

Last edited by Caryll on Tue May 08 2012, 12:05; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Back to top Go down

Post by deestaffy Thu May 10 2012, 14:43

I have two female staffy sisters and they just love each other cannot be without each other, in the morning i wake up with them keeping each other warm on our sun chair they are just the best of mates. I mean i have had them disagree but never into a full blew.
They play nicely most of the time, i think it depends on the dogs imo..
deestaffy
deestaffy
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Moo & Coco
Dog Gender(s) : Both Females
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by micheled Thu May 10 2012, 22:05

Our puppy class teacher said, for at least the 1st year they need to be in your line of sight or in a crate, just like a human toddler, if not you are setting them up to fail. Sounds right to me with Miss Chewie...oops… I mean Callie.
I think she likes her crate as well when she's ready for a rest. Snuggles right down in her blanket with a chew toy during our dinner or when we go out.
micheled
micheled
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down