janey
Kathy
Steve
jshrew
8 posters

Go down

Help! I can't let this happen again Empty Help! I can't let this happen again

Post by jshrew Thu Apr 26 2012, 19:08

There is a large Newfoundland type dog who is walked around the park and quite literally drags his owner around, Ledger has always been nervous as he is with the few dogs that drag their owners around and where possible I just avoid them giving them a wide berth. This morning however we came together at a fairly narrow corner so I took 4-5 steps off the path onto the grass and got Ledger to wait but this dog dragged his owner over to us he isn't aggressive but is very 'bouncy' one second Ledgers tail was wagging the next I saw all his heckles go up and as I put tension on the lead he lunged forward and bit the other dog round the mouth. I shouted no and he let go and came round behind me

I am absolutely devastated that he would do this although the guy just stood there and only checked his dog when I asked if he was ok and thankfully there didn't appear to be any injury (Ledger only has 1 canine tooth left after having 1 broken/infected one out on Friday)

I was just in shock how quick Ledger changed I hope it was more out of fear but that still doesnt excuse it and Im now worried I will be nervous over how he is going to be and escalate the problem in future

Guess I need to educate myself better on warning signs and how to react to them as I can't help but think that when I put tension on the lead I aggravated the situation by making Ledger feel like he couldn't escape

jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Help! I can't let this happen again Empty Re: Help! I can't let this happen again

Post by Steve Thu Apr 26 2012, 19:14

yea learning his dog body language http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/dogbodylanguage.html

my sam was a right pain in the backside with bigger dog when he was younger but he has calm down alot now hes older.

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Help! I can't let this happen again Empty Re: Help! I can't let this happen again

Post by Kathy Thu Apr 26 2012, 19:16

jules so sorry to read of your problem with Ledger. Seems that it only happened because there was no way out perhaps.

i dont know if you have seen the page about dogs body language, i have copied the link below, it will show you what to watch out for:

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/dogbodylanguage.html
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 19:17

To be honest i think you reacted perfectly! He stopped immediately when you said to and this dog is the one that was allowed to drag his owner over. In future if this dogs coming at you again do exactly what you did but make ledger sit behind you and tell the guy to walk on past. If he can't control his dog then its his fault if it gets attacked when you clearly got out of his way.

p.s. howd the marathon go?

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Apr 26 2012, 19:21

Keep your confidence hun, to me it sounds like Ledger gave a warning.

Moo has snapped at dogs on occasion.

Where I walk on Thursdays theres GSD rescue and they are walked at the same time, all onlead, so when we meet I put Moo back on also, tbh its the only time I feel tention on her lead as I believe she feels threatened by them as they pull o get to her.

Don't loose confidence Xx

janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 19:27

Thats the beauty of staffies though, they don't hind behind their owners and shiver in fear, even when they feel scared they go out to meet the danger face on! Little worriers lol

Back to top Go down

Post by looby Thu Apr 26 2012, 19:30

sounds like, when this other dog got close into your personal space, Ledger gave the warning that it was far enough to this other dog, and because he didn't listen to it and maybe with the tension then put on the lead he reacted to protect you, but once you said no he knew that you were ok so he let you deal with it by going behind you.

All sounds perfectly natural to me with how dogs work, and the fact he listened shows that he wasn't just attacking for the sake of it because as we all know when they get it into their heads to do something they can act pretty deaf at times Smile

looby
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 11mths
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster's_Mum Thu Apr 26 2012, 19:37

From what you have said it seems like you did everything right, and it sounds like Ledger was giving him a warning to stay away. Is it possible to meet with a dog you know is friendly or that Ledger gets on with to settle your nerves again? Too many people think that because their dog is ok everyone else's will be. People who let their dogs run up to greet other dogs that are onlead or people with dogs they cannot control annoy me!
Buster's_Mum
Buster's_Mum
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Help! I can't let this happen again Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buster, LuLu (chinese crested)
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months, 3 1/2 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by georgiegem Thu Apr 26 2012, 20:28

There is a Newfie pup in our local Good Citizen class and when he enters/exits the training room, 95% of the other dogs change temprement in a flash. The behaviourist said that because it is a such an imposing black dog, it is a signal to all the other dogs that it is Alpha and they automatically become alert.
I would not totally blame Ledger, perhaps you could try and arrange another meeting to walk together?
georgiegem
georgiegem
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Heston
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizzie Thu Apr 26 2012, 21:26

I agree, you did everything right. The other dog was probably too much in Ledgers face and was warned accordingly.

Please don't let this affect your confidence, see it as you have learned something today.

Lizzie

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 27 2012, 01:15

I would take some time to really learn his body language and avoid a dog you know he will have a problem with

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 30 2012, 14:13

I think you reacted perfectly and that Ledger was just reacting to the invasion of his space. We have two Newfies at training and both are such calm laid back creatures that they tend to have an extra calming effect on Tyson or perhaps it is that they are properly trained with handlers with strong, calm leadership?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down