Eats EVERYTHING!

3 posters

Go down

Eats EVERYTHING! Empty Eats EVERYTHING!

Post by JillyNala Tue Apr 17 2012, 10:52

Hello, I'm newish to the forum. Have been reading since I got Nala (she's eight and a half months now), but only started posting today.

Nala eats everything when out and about. She's not well just now - sickness and diarreah for nearly a week. The vet reckons she has eaten some contaminated food and has given her antibiotics and some kind of paste that's supposed to line her stomach. And she is starting to get better now.

The problem is - how do I stop it happening again? And is it a common problem for staffies?

Everytime I catch her eating something I ask her to drop it and if she doesn't drop it straight away I take it out of her mouth. But more often than not it is halfway down her throat by the time I notice it.

I have caught her trying to eat rusty nails, open safety pins and even a battery. Often when I pick up her poo I find bits of rope, chewing gum, etc.

Thanks, Jilly and Nala
JillyNala
JillyNala
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nala
Dog(s) Ages : 8 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Eats EVERYTHING! Empty Re: Eats EVERYTHING!

Post by janey Tue Apr 17 2012, 10:56

Hiya and welcome from me and Moo Smile

Moo is a pavement hoover and yes if she got the chance she would eat anything and everythinbg, including a dead Jellyfish on the beach sick

If you walk Nala on lead you could try a halti harness which will give you more control, if like me she is off lead then the only thing you can do is be one step ahead and keep correcting her when she goes for things.

Either way its not easy and yes I think they are all guzzlers lol Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 17 2012, 11:31

They can be an absolute pain with eating things they shouldn't, but tbh I think most breeds are the same. The only thing you can do is be one step ahead! Watch her like a hawk & make sure that you have a very strong "Leave!" command with her.

It's either that or a muzzle while you're out. Personally I'd prefer the "leave".

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 17 2012, 11:34

Hi and welcome from me, Millie and Bella Smile
Bella is 8 months and is exactly the same. She has clicked on now that when she is told to drop something then she loses it so if its really tasty (in her opinion) she just swallows it even faster. I just do what Janey does and keep correcting her and try and keep a step ahead. When we're playing with her toys I get her to drop then give her the toy back as well to try and work on it. I spend more time on walks looking at the ground than anywhere else Laughing
I think it's got to be a staffie thing. Millie's a lab x collie and her drop it is perfect half way through saying it and she drops whatever she has, cake, chicken, anything.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 17 2012, 11:35

We've been using a water gun as of late along with the leave command and just keeping a close eye on her to try to stop it before it happens.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Apr 17 2012, 19:18

Try taking some small treats along on the walk with you. When you see her pick something up try the leave command and offer a treat. You never know it may work.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down