+3
8pawprints
Kathy
paul_75
7 posters

Go down

Staffy noise Empty Staffy noise

Post by paul_75 Wed Apr 11 2012, 14:12

hi, just got myself an 8 month old staffy female yestarday to keep my 20 month old male company since he is such a nice natured dog. i got my male last march when he was around 8 months and he has always been very good, he sleeps in his cage and seems happy enough with this and only makes a noise in the morning when he wants out (tried him in the bedroom and hes wakes the mrs) you can shut him in the kitchen when guests are here or when its dinner time and he is fine, now this new one we got makes a lot of noise, if she is put in a cage she screams to get out, if shut in the kitchen she sits and crys wanting the door open to come in with us (even when both dogs are together) we had to let her sleep on the bed with us last night as she made so much noise im sure she would have woke the neighbours, im fine with her sleeping in the room with us aslong as we get sleep and she doesnt keep us awake like the male one does,
what im wondering is should the dog settle down and stop crying to be with us all the time and settle in her cage when we go out?
its a shock going from the fairly quite male to the screaming female Laughing
dont get me wrong i dont mind and expect a bit of noise from the dog but this is full volume high pitched screaming to get out the cage or get into the same room as us, i do know staffys are vocal but this is loud,
other than that she is a great wee dog, took them for a nice long walk this morning and she was great off the lead
thanks

paul_75
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Staffy noise Empty Re: Staffy noise

Post by Kathy Wed Apr 11 2012, 14:20

Does she have toys to play with to stimulate her brain ?, it could be boredom that is causing the crying along with seperation anxiety.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by 8pawprints Wed Apr 11 2012, 14:26

How long have you had her? She wants to be with the pack. Will she sleep in her own bed in your bedroom? if she is good in with you, why change.
I agree that the female ot the species are more vocal, ESP in humans, lol !!
8pawprints
8pawprints
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 5-6 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 11 2012, 15:22

Personally i wouldn't be giving into her behaviour, it will lead to problems later on. You need to set the boundaries NOW and honestly she will settle down and stop crying faster than you think. If you let her sleep in your room she will be even more attached to you and the male will start to feel jealous and may attack. Put them both in the kitchen and just leave it at that, if she wakes the neighbours then all you can do is apologize, but would you want to be saying sorry if it was a baby? They cry for longer and louder than any puppy will.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 11 2012, 17:11

Just have a little patience. You only got her yesterday and she will need some time to adjust. Maintain your boundaries with her though and be consistent. Walking her at least twice a day for about 45 minutes each time will help. A tired Staffie is a good Staffie.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 11 2012, 20:18

Ty wrote:Just have a little patience. You only got her yesterday and she will need some time to adjust. Maintain your boundaries with her though and be consistent. Walking her at least twice a day for about 45 minutes each time will help. A tired Staffie is a good Staffie.

good advice

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 12 2012, 00:46

Agree, it will take her time to settle into a new enviroment. Exercise and patience are key.

Back to top Go down

Post by paul_75 Thu Apr 12 2012, 10:29

thanks for the replys, yes i did expect it to take her a wee while to settle into the new house, she seems to have settled and made it her own already, looks like she is going to rule the house, my big male just seems to let her do what she wants, if i give them both chews and she finishes off first she try to take his out his mouth, if he has a bone she takes it from him and he just lets her, i was surprised as he is almost twice her size, a few times it looks like he has went and lay in his bed in the huff.
the dog doesnt seem to be toilet trained, twice the day we got her she pee'd in the house and about 5 times yesterday she done it aswell, mind you i should have expected that as the house she lived in was shocking, twice i had to look down and see if i had stood in poop as i was sticking to the carpet Laughing

paul_75

Status Status :

Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Thu Apr 12 2012, 12:07

I have had Troy, a rescue dog almost 3 months now.

When I first got him he would follow me around the house EVERYWHERE. Would moan non stop if you left him anywhere in the house by himself. And to be honest, 3 months later he still does!

However, I am teaching him slowly to be more independent. I go upstairs sometimes and tell him to 'stay' and he will do so if the door is left open but not if I close the door behind me. He will scratch and jump up at the door. However, when I go to work he is absolutely fine..he just doesn't like being left while I am in the house but is fine if I leave the house.

He will sometimes run downstairs to get a toy or will stay downstairs with a treat without moaning so is making small steps.

He also used to pee and poop everywhere in the house for a little while but I think this was due to anxiety to be honest. So, yours may be just settling in for now and should hopefully improve quickly.

Troy has not had an accident for what must be over 2 months now, except for the one time I gave him some raw meat..don't think he was used to it!

I think you're definitely asking for too much after 1 day..haha..but I was kinda the same. Never had a rescue dog before and was a little naive to it and expected him to just be a dog and not care if I was in another room and things like that.

Stick with it and do you have any pictures?

Smile

Gee

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by kate32 Tue Apr 17 2012, 21:43

We got scooby as a friend for maisy about a month ago (rescue), the first night he cried so he ended up in our room in his own bed, (maisy is used to the kitchen) I did this for a few nights but he started waking me up to go out and I was worried maisy was feeling left out so I put him in the kitchen and maisy in the front room. For a week or so I would come down to a poo every morning but I didn't make a fuss and it soon stopped. 2 weeks ago I moved maisy back to the kitchen so now they both sleep in their own bed in the kitchen, they have both settled to that nicely now..

You'll find your way soon enough, she'll be all upset with the change. Sounds like you've saved her Smile

kate32
kate32

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : maisy n scooby
Dog(s) Ages : 2 n 3
Dog Gender(s) : female n male
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Moomoo Fri Apr 20 2012, 21:43

you could try leaving a radio on for her over night, it may help I don't know lol. My new female is quite vocal too but by the end of the day she's worn out and has no objection to being put in her cage for the night downstairs without me lol Smile
Moomoo
Moomoo
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie, Tia & Rolo
Dog(s) Ages : 5, 4.5 & 7 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female, Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by cg Thu Apr 26 2012, 07:11

I had Butkus from 8wks and I remember the howling and whining that he did all through the night when we first had him. He had a massive cage downstairs and just didnt like being away from us. After a few nights of this he just got used to it. I know it is different as she is a few months old already but they do get used to change. Just don't give in be consistent and they will adapt.
cg
cg
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Butkus
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down