amstaff

Go down

amstaff Empty amstaff

Post by Guest Fri Mar 23 2012, 22:45

I read some where that a staffy is a cousin to the amstaff. I didnt know what an amstaff was until i just googled it. They apear to have smaller ears than a staffy. Please educate me Smile

Back to top Go down

amstaff Empty Re: amstaff

Post by Guest Fri Mar 23 2012, 22:49

Others on here who actually have an Amstaff will know more than me, but basically an Amstaff (the registered version of the APBT) was developed from bull & terrier crosses using the pit dogs taken to america over a century ago.

Although they are bull & terrier crosses (originally) they're not directly related to the staff as such, and were developed seperately although on the same sort of lines, and using some of the same dogs that went to develop the early staffs.

I'm sure I'll be corrected on that soon enough, though! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 23 2012, 23:03

Thanks caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 23 2012, 23:32

Caryll wrote:Others on here who actually have an Amstaff will know more than me, but basically an Amstaff (the registered version of the APBT) was developed from bull & terrier crosses using the pit dogs taken to america over a century ago.

Although they are bull & terrier crosses (originally) they're not directly related to the staff as such, and were developed seperately although on the same sort of lines, and using some of the same dogs that went to develop the early staffs.

I'm sure I'll be corrected on that soon enough, though! Big Grin

That's my basic understanding as well

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Fri Mar 23 2012, 23:36

Basically for some reason the american kennel club didn't want to register the american pitbull terrier as a breed so they were registered under 'american staffordshire.' Then they decided that they would and some dogs were duel registered as ast and apbt Straight Face It started off as a show version of the pitbull and it's differed slightly since then.
The apbt has more bulldog blood in it then the sbt.

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 23 2012, 23:41

shakespearesdog wrote:Basically for some reason the american kennel club didn't want to register the american pitbull terrier as a breed so they were registered under 'american staffordshire.' Then they decided that they would and some dogs were duel registered as ast and apbt Straight Face It started off as a show version of the pitbull and it's differed slightly since then.
The apbt has more bulldog blood in it then the sbt.

The AKC will register American Staffordshire Terriers, but not the APBT. The UKC will register the APBT. Some AmStaffs/Pitbulls are registered on both registries, but as an AmStaff (AKC) or an APBT (UKC).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 24 2012, 00:26

Thanks, very confusing Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down