+2
janey
hopev
6 posters

Go down

Any advise on PREDNISONE Empty Any advise on PREDNISONE

Post by hopev Tue Feb 28 2012, 22:33

Hello
Any advise please regarding Prednisone, My staffy called 'Cooper' who is 7yrs old has been on these for about year and a half now might even be 2yrs.

He was given them by the vet he was getting small baldy patches, dry skin, he would always nibble at his paws he was smelly.

When we first started giving him the tablets they where working a treat, baldy patches went,

He was given one a day, then we had to increase him up to 2 a day about year ago, I've tried doing it where he was given 2 every other day but that did not work. Such a shame as he used to have a lovely shiney coat!

His skin is getting worse its really dry, crusty skin, his coat is thin. I've stopped giving him the tablets they are not working, I'm not happy in him having them all the time, I would like to try something else which is better rather than giving a steroid.

Anyone got any advise,
thank you
hopev
hopev
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Cooper
Dog(s) Ages : 7
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Any advise on PREDNISONE Empty Re: Any advise on PREDNISONE

Post by janey Tue Feb 28 2012, 22:36

Hi & Any advise on PREDNISONE Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Any advise on PREDNISONE Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Any advise on PREDNISONE Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Any advise on PREDNISONE Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Any advise on PREDNISONE Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Any advise on PREDNISONE Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
Any advise on PREDNISONE Icon_arrow Make a Donate to help us to keep us improving our forum and website.
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by steve76 Tue Feb 28 2012, 22:36

you could try fish in sunflower oil, or just sun flower oil on his biscuit, this worked wonders for my lurcher. takes a couple of weeks to see any change, but good for the coat and skin in the long run
steve76
steve76

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Support total : 239

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 28 2012, 22:44

Hi & welcome.

Prednisone is normally a short term treatment. Has your vet said why it is still being prescribed? Have you ever tried to wean him off it, and if so what was the result?

Back to top Go down

Post by hopev Tue Feb 28 2012, 22:57

Thanks steve76 I'm going to look again at his diet,
caryll - a month ago we dropped him down to 1 a day and missing a day, now he's not on any hasn't been for 2wks.
He's a little poorly at the mo had diarreah and sickness last night he's feeling a bit sorry for himself
Every 6mths we see the vet all he does is check him over then prescribes more tablets! this is why his coat is all dry its awful wanting to try something rather then tablets.
thanks
hopev
hopev

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 28 2012, 23:23

The problem with Prednisone long term is that it can lead to Cushings disease.

To be honest, I'd be inclined to ask another vet, at another practice, for a second opinion. Also, speak to a vet about alternative treatments. Many vets nowadays are in contact with homeopathic/natural remedies for skin conditions etc and he may be able to refer you.

Are you insured?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 28 2012, 23:24

P.S.
I've merged the two topics & moved it to the health forum.

Back to top Go down

Post by hopev Tue Feb 28 2012, 23:41

thank you was wondering where it had gone!
Yes i would agree about the vets we have spoke about doing that for a while i must say cos' every time he goes and gets checked its just a case of here goes some more tablets....!
We are not insured unfortunately. I was going to try and start giving him some Primrose oil or cod liver oil tablets. and looking into changing his food. he has a delicate tummy to start with certain foods give him the runs!!
hopev
hopev

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 29 2012, 12:05

Do let us know how you get on with a new vet. Just renewing the tablets every few months seems to be a bit of a cop out, doesn't it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed Feb 29 2012, 12:22

I was going to suggest getting a second opinion from another vet and saw that Caryll had already mentioned it.

What does he eat?
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Wed Feb 29 2012, 13:06

2nd opinion definitely.

My staffy had a skin prob, an overabundance of the staphacocus bacteria, which is normally on the skin but can cause probs if they have too much of it.

Did ur vet ever give u a diagnosis for ur dogs skin condition, ever do tests, skin scrapes etc?

My Diesel was on steroids for very short periods as they supress the dogs immune system therefore not allowing the dog to get over it.

I hope u get some answers and help for ur dog.

Also, for dry skin, my vet recommended a hypoallergenic dog food, salmon oil drizzled ontop of the food and Etiderm dog shampoo which is fab stuff for protecting and soothing skin.

X
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by hopev Wed Feb 29 2012, 14:49

Thanks for the responses,
No Vet Never done any tests just looked at him and said it was a common problem with staffys !!!??
Since been off the tablets his coat seems to have thickened a bit. he's still lumps that are going dry. he has a load of dark spots aswell that pop up go. what could these be? We asked the vet and he just said its the pigment of his skin!!
He is on Pedigree tins and dry mixer biscuits. was debating on trying him on something else to see if a different diet would help.
cheers
hopev
hopev

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 29 2012, 20:32

Yumega oil is very good for skin conditions Smile

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/yumega-nutrition-supplement-for-dogs-250ml-by-lintbells-15432

With the tablets,i would definatly review his medication with the vet thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 29 2012, 20:39

hopev wrote:He is on Pedigree tins and dry mixer biscuits. was debating on trying him on something else to see if a different diet would help.
cheers

To be honest, no tinned food is very good, really. It's not great for their teeth and around 70% water! I'd try one of the better dry foods if your finances can run to it. James Wellbeloved do hypoallergenic dog food taht may help his overall condition. You can get it from any large pet store or online.

Lisa & Cairo wrote:Yumega oil is very good for skin conditions Smile
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/yumega-nutrition-supplement-for-dogs-250ml-by-lintbells-15432

I've also heard good reports about Yumega. If you want to try it & don't know which one to choose, give Lintbells a ring - I believe they're very helpful!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 01 2012, 15:16

is Septiderm available in your area? works for my APBT Herman?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Mar 01 2012, 17:27

Is this the stuff you mean Matt?

http://www.naturaldogs.co.uk/store/naturvet-natural-horse-products/septiderm-v-bath-240ml.html
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by hopev Thu Mar 01 2012, 21:47

We took Cooper to the vets yesterday (we seen a different vet) cos he's been vomiting and diarreah. Vet checked him over and said their is a lot of gas in his tummy. they've give him antibiotics and some other injection for the bacteria he's got on his coat !
I asked the vet about his skin condition and told him I stopped giving him the tablets and he said i done right he said its not meant to be long term! He said to try Hypo-allergenic , wheat free diet and said to try James Wellbeloved.
We are completely going to change his diet soon as he recovers properly he is getting No scrap bits any more nothing other than his own meals.

Ive not heard of Septiderm is it a shampoo?? I do like the sound of the Yumega may look into that, or would it be worth buying some Cod liver oil.
I am really looking forward to trying his new diet and seeing if his coat improves.
Thanks
hopev
hopev

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by marloes Thu Mar 01 2012, 21:55

our boy tygo has also problems with his skin, atopic dermatitis. whenn he was about 6 months my vet also wanted to put him on predison. i refused and kept on searching for a alternitive treatment. i now have a homeopatic drop that frees him from the allergies. and it works like hell.
marloes
marloes
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : pride and glory flying gentleman, isa v.d westmaat, soulman @ moorlandsdream, tygo @ moorlandsdream
Support total : 3

http://www.moorlandsdream.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 01 2012, 22:06

hopev wrote:We took Cooper to the vets yesterday (we seen a different vet) cos he's been vomiting and diarreah. Vet checked him over and said their is a lot of gas in his tummy. they've give him antibiotics and some other injection for the bacteria he's got on his coat !
I asked the vet about his skin condition and told him I stopped giving him the tablets and he said i done right he said its not meant to be long term! He said to try Hypo-allergenic , wheat free diet and said to try James Wellbeloved.
We are completely going to change his diet soon as he recovers properly he is getting No scrap bits any more nothing other than his own meals.

Ive not heard of Septiderm is it a shampoo?? I do like the sound of the Yumega may look into that, or would it be worth buying some Cod liver oil.
I am really looking forward to trying his new diet and seeing if his coat improves.
Thanks

Good luck with the change of diet. If it doesn't work, you might want to try raw feeding. If you do, just let us know & we can point you in the right direction.

Septiderm is a shampoo that soothes the skin & doesn't strip the oils from the coat.

marloes wrote:our boy tygo has also problems with his skin, atopic dermatitis. whenn he was about 6 months my vet also wanted to put him on predison. i refused and kept on searching for a alternitive treatment. i now have a homeopatic drop that frees him from the allergies. and it works like hell.

Can you tell us what the homeopathic drops are?

Back to top Go down

Post by marloes Thu Mar 01 2012, 22:22

@ caryll, will try my best to translat in english because its a dutch product.
its called drainage compositum and manufacturer is groene os. the drops are to purify the blood and get rid of all toxins in the blood. at first i was a bit sceptic but it works on my boy.
and he had it so bad that we could'nt go near lawns for the whole summer. now he has about 50% relief on his allergies and that is a lot

here is the website but its only in dutch im afraid
http://www.nmlhealth.com/p,34,509/Drainage-Compositum.aspx

prednison causes in the long run a few bad ilnesses as in tumors of the kidneys of pituitary gland, calles cushings disease. if treated with prednison from young age these dogs dont get very old.
marloes
marloes

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : pride and glory flying gentleman, isa v.d westmaat, soulman @ moorlandsdream, tygo @ moorlandsdream

Back to top Go down

Post by marloes Thu Mar 01 2012, 22:28

forgot to mention, it s a treatment for about 8 weeks. dogs that have serious problems can be treated for longer periods. but between the treatments should be a few weeks rest.
marloes
marloes

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 01 2012, 22:28

Thank you for the link. I've used Google Translate & printed the page. I'll see if I can get a local homeopath to have a look at it & see if it can be produced here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 01 2012, 22:37

kathytake2 wrote:Is this the stuff you mean Matt?

http://www.naturaldogs.co.uk/store/naturvet-natural-horse-products/septiderm-v-bath-240ml.html
yep Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by hopev Thu Mar 01 2012, 22:40

Interesting...

thanks I will do caryll, he's on chicken n rice for now. then will start with the James wellbeloved later, I only hope he eats it he's not used to eating just dry food Sad !!
I've been looking up about the raw food, Never knew you could give dogs raw chicken etc...!
vic
x

hopev
hopev

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 01 2012, 22:42

septiderm-V is a topical treatment for problem skin. it's applied directly to the affected area and can work in seconds sometimes. don't know if it's the answer for your lil' one, but it's worth a try. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by marloes Thu Mar 01 2012, 22:51

Caryll wrote:Thank you for the link. I've used Google Translate & printed the page. I'll see if I can get a local homeopath to have a look at it & see if it can be produced here.

if you want or at any time need a bottle i can buy it here and send it over Wink
marloes
marloes

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by marloes Thu Mar 01 2012, 22:54

also a product that we saw good results with ( worked as a veterinairy assistant for a few years)
http://www.virbacvet.com/products/dermatology/allergicdermatitis/allerdermspotonskinlipidcomplex.aspx
marloes
marloes

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 01 2012, 22:55

marloes wrote:
Caryll wrote:Thank you for the link. I've used Google Translate & printed the page. I'll see if I can get a local homeopath to have a look at it & see if it can be produced here.

if you want or at any time need a bottle i can buy it here and send it over Wink

thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down