Can anyone advise me?

2 posters

Go down

Can anyone advise me? Empty Can anyone advise me?

Post by Samson57 Fri Oct 11 2013, 15:57

My gorgeous boy is now 10 months old. I have only 2 problems that I would like to resolve with him. Both equally as important.

1. I began to allow him off his lead to play with other dogs on a large field (he loves playing with any kind of dog and greets owners with gusto). For weeks all was ok, until one day he kept running away from me instead of coming back to me when the other dog was about to leave with it's owner. He got so far away I couldn't get him to hear my calls (or he was ignoring them). Finally he ran off the field and back home, crossing roads that are really busy. Since then I've tried him off the lead when playing with other dogs, but find that he's getting worse and ignoring me more and more. I've tried every treat under the sun to make myself more appealing to come back to, I never shout when he ignores me and praise him so much when he does come back. But it's left me scared to let him off his lead at all now, because he gets so excited and just will not come back to me. I feel I'm letting him down and stopping him from the wonderful life I want to give to him now. Can anyone advise how I can correct this?

2. Despite how much I take Samson out, he likes to play inside the house and garden too, and I usually oblige when he wants to play and we go on for hours with his ball. But since I got him at 3 months old with not injections and couldn't take him out til he was 4 months old (his 2nd owner), when he wants to play he insists on grabing my slippers or sleeves and attempting to drag me, barking, tail wagging, just play to him, but he's ruining my clothes and slippers and even when I try to distract him with his ball, treats etc, he continues. I've tried shutting him out of the room so that he will calm down, but as soon as I let him back in, he just carries on!! I've sprayed my clothes with bitter apple to no avail. What can I do? One day he will have me falling over badly when out of the blue he grabs my slipper and stops me walking in my tracks.

If anyone on here can help me with either problem......... please let me know?

Thank you in anticipation .......

Samson57
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Divorced
Dogs Name(s) : Samson
Dog(s) Ages : 10 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Can anyone advise me? Empty Re: Can anyone advise me?

Post by Guest Fri Oct 11 2013, 16:40

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions
Hiya why don't you come and introduce yourself.
With regards to the running off, unless his recall is 100% I would be using a long training lead so he can have a play and run with other dogs whilst you still have control also.
With the playing you may be better to put all toys away and just get them out when you say its time to play. Otherwise you seem to be doing ok. Sorry cant be of no more help.Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 11 2013, 16:43

Hi, I agree with inez, we use a long training line with Darcy because she can become distracted, it works great. Smile

Back to top Go down

Can anyone advise me? Empty Thank you!

Post by Samson57 Fri Oct 11 2013, 16:52

I've used a long training lead with him for ages, but when he begins to play with other dogs he rolls over and goes a bit crazy, tangles himself up, other dogs and even their owners, that is why I began to let him off the lead. Neither seems to work well, but of course he's safe on the lead. The type of training lead I use is the kind for horses, it's not a retractable lead, I've tried one of them too, but he's too strong for it. I do appreciate your help though, I know now that that the training lead is the way to go. Smile 

Samson57

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 11 2013, 16:58

Probably safest with a training lead, try recall with the training lead, if he seems to love his toys and play perhaps a special toy you could get just for walks to practice his recall. Only use this toy for that though.Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 11 2013, 18:47

Let the long training lead trail so that it doesn't get all caught up (at least not as much) but make sure the lead is always well within reach!

With the toys, put them all away & only take one out when you want to play. If he starts to grab your sleeve/slipper just turn away with a firm "no" & ignore. It may take quite a few repetitions but you'll get there in the end!

Back to top Go down

Post by Samson57 Sat Oct 12 2013, 13:06

Many thanks for the advise from everyone. I've put his toys away (only balls because he doesn't bother about any other toy I've bought for him)...... but just a quick question, I do have a few things for him to chew on becuase he loves to chew and it saves household things being chewed and damaged, are they also classed as toys and to only be given when I want him to chew? I wouldn't like him to begin chewing furniture etc if he cannot have them when he feels the need to chew lol!. Thank you to everyone again

Samson57

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jo garnett Sat Oct 12 2013, 13:47

Our girls' 'chewy' things are all over the house. They're not the type of thing they bring to us for playing with, and they keep them entertained - and, as you say, saves your furniture Big Grin 
jo garnett
jo garnett
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Lola and Chloe
Dog(s) Ages : both 3 years
Dog Gender(s) : Both female
Support total : 86

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 12 2013, 23:16

The things to put away are the ones you play with him with. Things like stag bars etc are chew things, not interractive toys!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down