Drinking Problem

4 posters

Go down

Drinking Problem Empty Drinking Problem

Post by Miffy Tue Feb 21 2012, 10:44

I have recently adopted a Staffie rescue dog. She has been with me a couple of weeks now and she has really settled in. She is a lovely little dog aged about 4 or 5 and is underweight as she was neglected by her previous owners. My only concern is that in the two weeks she has been with me shen hasn't had a single drink of water! How should I go about persuading hetr that water is a ghood thing? Cheers.

Miffy
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Drinking Problem Empty Re: Drinking Problem

Post by Guest Tue Feb 21 2012, 10:47

I take it that there is a bowl of fresh water available in the same place all the time?

Try sitting on the floor, right by her bowl. Call her over & tell her to sit. Then dip your fingers in the water & then just try slipping your fingers into her mouth.

I doubt if she hasn't had a drink, you just haven't seen her. If she'd had nothing at all, she'd be seriously dehydrated by now!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 21 2012, 10:49

You probally just don't see her. It can take them a bit to settle in

Back to top Go down

Post by CMR Tue Feb 21 2012, 10:52

cheat, buy some chicken soup, water it down and it should work. make it I soup to 4 water so a can should last you a few days

Edit: make sure she is not allergic to ingredients so you don't start another mare

let us know how you get on please

Catalin
CMR
CMR
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lucy
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizzie Tue Feb 21 2012, 11:10

My boy, Harry is nearly 4 now and I have had him from 7 weeks and he never drinks water (unless its a dirty muddy puddle down the fields Smile ). I mentioned this to the vet very early on and she said not to worry as he was obviously getting enough fluid from his food.

I do put hot water on his kibble and let it soak in and give that to him when its cooled down. The other thing is I used to buy him puppy milk when he was a baby just to ensure he had some fluids and now I kid him he's having milk by giving him some water with a spoonful of milk in it just to colour it and the little so and so will then drink it. But although I give him a fresh bowl of water every morning he has never yet drank from it.

Hope that reassures you. Smile

Lizzie
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by *Karen* Tue Feb 21 2012, 11:15

When Mia was poorly I gave her ice cubes to crunch up as she didn't seem to be drinking that much, at least it's a little bit of fluids and it perked her having something to play with!
*Karen*
*Karen*

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 13 July 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Lady
Support total : 45

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 21 2012, 11:43

Lottie sometimes will go for a while without a drink. i know people say they will drink or eat when they want or need to and they will no dog will starve itself or go thursty but we cheated and let her lick some water off petes hand. he then lowered his hand into the bowl untill she was lapping the water off it then he removed his hand and she drank without it there. worth a shot

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 21 2012, 21:22

how about a little puppy milk with water Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down