Kita not so well at the moment

4 posters

Go down

Sleepy Kita not so well at the moment

Post by Guest Mon Jan 30 2012, 12:47

She has been wanting to go outside for a wee every hour or so for the past few weeks. I did note that she was drinking more and I figured it may be the heat as it's been quite warm since Xmas.
In the last two weeks I noted that she was really urgent about going, so I started thinking she may have an infection. Then we had a few mishaps which I put down to her developing dementia and diminishing sight, her wee didn't smell like she had an infection.

I started taking more and more notice of what she was doing and asking Trevor and my stepson what they had noticed and wondering if she was developing diabetes. I've since noted that often she doesn't do more than a dribble or a few drops and has to strain to do this, which made me more concerned than ever.

On top of this we had 40+ temperature from last Wed till Sat and she has been digging in the garden and laying in the dirt which has caused her skin to become very itchy and she is scratching and chewing herself to bits. I put her cortisone cream and spray on from Sat, but it doesn't seem to have helped (neither did swimming in salt water at the beach). I feel really mean growling at her all the time to "stop scratching" as her little face looks so sad.

We managed to get into the vet this pm as I wanted to get their immunisations done now as we go away in 6 weeks, but I didn't think we'd be able to do Kita's due to her other health issues.
The vet was concerned about blood in her wee, which I hadn't seen, but I know it is often microscopic and one wouldn't know it was there, he also wondered if she could have a renal (kidney stone) considering the straining. They did a urinalysis which showed blood and protein, but no glucose, so fingers X'd she doesn't have diabetes, but I don't like the idea of blood and protein.

They took a blood test to check all her biochemistry, which will show her kidney function, liver function and haematology test to see if she's anaemic or has an infection, but I wont get the results till tomorrow. He couldn't feel any obvious mass in her abdomen but said depending on the results she may need an ultrasound to rule out any type of bladder abnormality or growth.
She's started a course of antibiotics (just in case it is a urine infection), plus this will be good for her skin although wont stop the scratching and chewing.

I'm not dwelling on all the things it could be as it's not worth it to get too stressed, but as I sleep with one eye open and one ear trained to be listening for her getting up and needing to go out for a pee, I'm sure it will be constantly in my mind.

Sorry for the long post, but I needed to put it out there to help me see it more clearly.

I look at her dear little face and pray that my baby girl is not going to have a hard time from now on, especially as she has birthday number 15 coming up this Saturday. Not looking too bad for an old girl I think. Big Grin

Kita not so well at the moment P1020837

It's hard to believe sometimes that this funny little girl has been in my life for nearly 16 years and she has been my rock on more than one occasion. She is the most amazing girl that I have ever known and the reason I've kept a smile at times.

Luv you baby girl Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Sleepy Re: Kita not so well at the moment

Post by Guest Mon Jan 30 2012, 12:53

oh big hugs kita, she is one amazing dog

>Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Jan 30 2012, 13:03

Bought a tear to my eye hun. Not really anything else I can say, she is looking fab for an old bird! What a little darling, they are such a huge part in life. Do let us know how the tests come back tomorrow Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 30 2012, 13:06

She's beautiful!

Fingers crossed it's something really simple to treat. Don't forget to let us know.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 30 2012, 15:24

Lee, lets hope and pray the vets can sort out your baby girl's problems. It is so so hard when our pets get old....
Hope the results are good tomorrow and give the darling a cuddle for me.
She sure is one special girl... Love Struck and I just love your avatar!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 30 2012, 15:58

Bless her.Big hugs >Big Grin< xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Jan 30 2012, 19:21

It all sound a little puzzling?? Do hope you get it all sorted with the vet. Sending big hugs down under >Big Grin< >Big Grin<
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 30 2012, 21:33

Hope Kita is alright. It's always hard when they start to age >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 31 2012, 07:09

Aw bless her, gorgeous girl. Hope you get good news with the tests and she gets better soon. Big hugs to you both Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 31 2012, 08:37

how is kita today

>Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 31 2012, 12:26

Just got home from work (had the worst afternoon shift ever and nearly missed ringing the vet. angry

Her blood results are pretty good given her age, just a little liver impairment, no kidney failure (my biggest scare), no diabetes or cushing's disease.

However they still don't know why she is having so much trouble passing urine or why there is blood in it. Could still be a kidney stone or something more sinister I dont want to s (but as she doesn't seem to be in pain & she's not losing weight, I'm hoping that is not the case).

The next thing they would suggest is an Ultrasound but at more than $400, I don't want to rush into it.
I'll see how she is after the course of antibiotics (her skin is looking better today, so that's a positive).

I'm not 100% sure about her going to a boarding kennel when we are away in March, I'm seriously considering leaving them both home and have A (my stepson) look after them now. May need to get someone into visit during the day, but it might be better for her to stay in her own yard and house.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 31 2012, 14:31

awww get well soon beautiful! .. she has such a lovely face! Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 31 2012, 14:37

Love you too Kita. Get better soon. Love and hugs!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 31 2012, 16:06

lets hope the antibiotics work for Kita !

sending you a big >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by harlou Tue Jan 31 2012, 16:16

What a gorgeous face reminds me of my Harry,Hope she is better soon!
harlou
harlou
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Kita not so well at the moment Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : OLLY
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 31 2012, 18:47

I hope the antibiotics sort it out and she is feeling better soon. She is a beautiful girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 31 2012, 20:16

At least it isn't as bad as you were afraid it might be, and the antibiotics might clear it all up in no time.

You may be right about the kennels, she would almost certainly get stressed & that's something she can do without at the moment.

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Tue Jan 31 2012, 21:32

She looks great for her age obviously has been loved and cared for very well Smile Hope shes okay dont know if you can get hold of udder cream I use it on the horses for mud rash it may help Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 01 2012, 13:05

Awwww Lee, I hope your sweet ol' giel egts better soon. They certainly cause us worry from time to time but she has the most amazing Mummy ( thats YOU ) who will do everything that is needed to get her better.

Big hugs from me and slobbery kisses from RoXy

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Feb 01 2012, 13:17

Well the results where better than you had hoped for, and she looks like such a sweet girl, very good for her age so to speak!

I think leaving her at home may also be a good thing, you do what is right for you.

Hugs and cuddles from us Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 01 2012, 13:52

Any news on Kita?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 02 2012, 10:31

She seems to be ok, but she is chewing her feet this time and she can't hear me call her to stop. it wasnt me
I've been home all day today and she doesn't seem to be wanting to go as much.
She's still got a week of antibiotics to go.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 02 2012, 11:01

Hope she feels better soon >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 02 2012, 11:09

Thanks j, I think she's felling ok, it's me that's growing gray hair from worrying. I'll match her soon.

I suppose it's often said that owners resemble their dogs

rolling on the floor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 02 2012, 11:11

It's always hard when they start to age. You worry about every little thing and tend to spoil them even more rotten

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 02 2012, 11:21

was wondering how my adopted daughter Kita was going...

glad she seems to be doing okay...

hey you talk about grey hair..you should see mine after Jethro's latest effort when he had a panic attack at our pals place ! at wits end

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down