I'm starting to worry about Kita...

5 posters

Go down

I'm starting to worry about Kita... Empty I'm starting to worry about Kita...

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20 2011, 16:14

I was just giving my girls a cuddle on their bed and I looked at Kita and she just seems so much smaller and frail lately Sad
I'm not sure if it's because Izzy is so much bigger than her or whether it's because she seems to have aged so rapidly in the last few months. I know her sight and sound are diminishing but lately she's a little disorientated when she wakes up and I have to steer her in the direction of the back door. We've had a few accidents in the last 2 months (which poor Izzy took the blame for as she seemed to appear from the "area"), but I'm starting to wonder a little...
She's been the best part of my life for so long (well ok Trevor has as well during the last 8yrs), but I can't imagine life without her, even though I know I will have to at some point.
I'm scared that I'm starting to see the writing on the wall and it's doing my head in already broken heart

Back to top Go down

I'm starting to worry about Kita... Empty Re: I'm starting to worry about Kita...

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20 2011, 16:28

Oh Lee, I have tears in my eyes as I read your post.
I just want to give you a big hug >Big Grin< and tell you that everything will be ok, although with the ageing process we see so many changes in looks, traits, behaviours, health etc.....
The old girl may have quite some time left yet ( Much like the Energizer Bunny Wink ) but make the most of the "here and now" and enjoy her company.

Big Hugs to you >Big Grin< and moochy kisses for Kita

Back to top Go down

I'm starting to worry about Kita... Empty Re: I'm starting to worry about Kita...

Post by janey Mon Jun 20 2011, 16:36

Chin up Lee, you sound really sad. Don't right her off yet!!! Kita is a lucky girl and you should be enjoying all the time you have with her! Gee's you could still have years. Sending you lots of hugs from me and Moo oh and smiles x x x
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20 2011, 16:43

Thanks Lisa, I had tears in my eyes as I was writing it Sad
One of the things that's got to me the most is she pulls away from a cuddle these days. This was the dog that used to curl up on my lap and fall asleep for hours every night. I suppose I just miss her "in my face" behaviour and feel so guilty for all the changes she's had to endure in her twilight years.
I feel blessed for the things she's taught me over the years, nothing like the love of staff to make your day seem worthwhile Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20 2011, 16:55

Janey, I was doing the routine nightly cuddle and telling them how lucky I was to have them in my life when suddenly I just felt really sad.
I have 4 days off next weekend and I'm hoping the weather will be ok to get out and about with my girls as Kita still loves her little runs in the park Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20 2011, 16:57

oh Lee.. I am crying too! Why can't our babies live forever...

Jethro is going the same way .... all he wants to do is be inside.. and when I put him out, he does a wee and a poo, might have a bit of a play with Winston ( not much as Winston is just so rough .. we are always telling him off! ) and then Jethro will just stand staring at the back door... for ages.. He doesn't sit, he just stands and stares. Sometimes , like today, I go out and I have to make him get on his bed and lie there.. otherwise he will just stand staring at the back door... Even then , I get him to lie on his bed, go inside and walk past the back door 5 minutes later and there is is, just standing staring at it.. He is definitely going deaf too, a few times I have been calling his name when he is in his bed inside, and he hasn't heard me at all.. he is fast asleep... yet I am standing right at his bed...Bless him.. Love Struck

Far out.. I don't even want to think about it either....... Crying or Very sad

Lets just hope our old boilers still have alot of time left with us.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20 2011, 17:19

Vanessa, now I'm balling again Crying or Very sad
That's exactly what Kita does, she just stops and stares.
One day I came home and Izzy was at the back door but no Kita. I'm calling and calling her and......nothing!! By this time I'm wrenching the door open and charging out asking Izzy "where's Kita?" as I raced around the corner of the verandah. She was lying on her side on the ground and I stopped breathing. I raced to her calling her name as she didn't move and I seriously could not see her breathing in my panic. I dropped to my knees as she slowly opened her eyes and lifted her head as if to say "what's your problem...?"
Unfortunately that scenario is stuck in my head now and it scares me.
I think she's more precious to me now than she ever has been (if that's at all possible) Laughing
awwwwwww "They bred them tough all those years ago" Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20 2011, 17:45

its at this time when you really wish we could communicate better with them so they could say "im alright mum stop worrying im just tired and i want to take it all in at my pace".

my sister is away this week and im dreading the call from kennels with a problem with her 14 year old staff. i just wish they aged at the same pace as us and we would never have to worry. kisses to all the "pensioners" x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20 2011, 17:59

nicolalouises wrote:its at this time when you really wish we could communicate better with them so they could say "im alright mum stop worrying im just tired and i want to take it all in at my pace".

my sister is away this week and im dreading the call from kennels with a problem with her 14 year old staff. i just wish they aged at the same pace as us and we would never have to worry. kisses to all the "pensioners" x

Nicola, I remember you posting about your sister's dog last week, hope all stays safe and well while she's away.
A few years ago I laughed as Kita was catching up to my age in her "doggy years", now she's almost the same age as my mum. Surprised

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20 2011, 18:02

me too as she is like my baby too, i wouldve had her here but Woody would just have annoyed her wanting to play,she's like my nan and has no patience with the younger generation!well done Kita for putting up with your Izzy!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20 2011, 18:35

Aw Lee, Vanessa, I hope you both still have a few good years left yet with your oldies. They are so lucky to have you and know how much you love them, that's the main thing. Big hugs to you all >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20 2011, 18:41

Chin up Lee the Stafford has a great ability to hang in, at 7 years old my 1st dog Katie had a tumour removed the vet said 6 month maximum she lived till she was 14 and had over 20 lumps over the last 3 years of her life removed, she always responded well she was a star

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 21 2011, 16:11

Yes Kita and Jethro couldn't have possibly been loved anymore than they are, that's for sure !! Love Struck Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 21 2011, 17:24

I know how u both feel too Mazda's noticably aged in the last few months also just wants to sleep and is stiff in her legs and looks like she dont know where she is when she wakes up, She cant jump on my bed, the sofa etc any more and this is the girl that used to clear my 7ft fence not so long ago!

I have to constantly tell Zero off cos he tries to jump on her and force her to play etc, I also feel bad that she's had to "put up" with the changes of him joining the family.

But as a few people have said and im always being told dont give up on a oldie they prob have loads of life left just wanna do it at slower pace Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by youngkaiser Tue Jun 21 2011, 21:37

Aww its hard when they get old and see all the aging just appear i wish they could stay forever our cracker she started looking very old and lost weight rapidly and every christmas that approached we would say it will be her last and she last just over 3 christmases of saying that just enjoy the time while you can made me want to give you a hug reading your post >Big Grin<
youngkaiser
youngkaiser

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kaiser
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 22 2011, 15:32

yes it is the worse part of owning a pet isn't it when they reach their twilight years.... Sad

Jethro is just so loving and quiet now, and everything we ever wanted him to be.... Love Struck

big hug back at everyone XXX

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 22 2011, 16:38

vanessa wrote:

yes it is the worse part of owning a pet isn't it when they reach their twilight years.... Sad

Jethro is just so loving and quiet now, and everything we ever wanted him to be.... Love Struck

big hug back at everyone XXX

Big hug back to you and Jethro >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Wed Jun 22 2011, 23:41

And I can relate to you both as Ive got my 12 year old girl here whos okay at the moment but she sleeps most of the time I get upset all the time my heart breaks when I think of her not being here and she is the soulmate to my boy who is getting on at 9. To top it off I have a elderly horse that Ive had for 17 years and this summer will probably be her last im just beside myself at the moment and know there are some tuff times for me ahead. Its good to know I can share with you who understand how it feels group hug
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Jun 22 2011, 23:52

group hug Gem, now you sound so sad Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23 2011, 03:47

gem wrote:And I can relate to you both as Ive got my 12 year old girl here whos okay at the moment but she sleeps most of the time I get upset all the time my heart breaks when I think of her not being here and she is the soulmate to my boy who is getting on at 9. To top it off I have a elderly horse that Ive had for 17 years and this summer will probably be her last im just beside myself at the moment and know there are some tuff times for me ahead. Its good to know I can share with you who understand how it feels group hug

sending you a big hug !! XX

I don't know how old your horse is, but I got my horse Carnaby when he was 5... brought him over when I moved here from South Australia.. and he lived till 28 !! And he was a big boy.... Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23 2011, 10:40

gem wrote:And I can relate to you both as Ive got my 12 year old girl here whos okay at the moment but she sleeps most of the time I get upset all the time my heart breaks when I think of her not being here and she is the soulmate to my boy who is getting on at 9. To top it off I have a elderly horse that Ive had for 17 years and this summer will probably be her last im just beside myself at the moment and know there are some tuff times for me ahead. Its good to know I can share with you who understand how it feels group hug

I feel for you too. I hope you will still have many more days ahead with your horse and your 12 year old girl. Always here if you need us. >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Thu Jun 23 2011, 16:56

Thanks for your support Love Struck
Gemini is touching 26 she is a full 16 hh hanovarian mare she has severe arthritus in her hips shes lame in her back end although does get around okay. She also has muscle waste there due to not using the joints as they should be shes very stiff. She is on full pain releif now which isnt really doing her kidneys any good but shes pain free she struggles to get up and down but enjoys her life its just the ethical of the situation she is never going to get any better and how long do I leave her, the winters are much harder and she drops loads of weight then as shes a very stressy horse just dont want to accept the enevitable but have to do the right thing. I love her more then I can say shes now on my avitar pic:(
gem
gem

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa & Kuta Fri Jun 24 2011, 04:29

Aww, this story made me so sad.... you guys really know how to wind up a pregnant woman Sad
I worry about Brutus too, we have only had him for a few weeks but in that time he has become part of the family. He is an older boy (not sure exactly though as he is a rescue) but he is already getting arthritis in his back leg as he limps a bit on cold mornings. He also has the start of blindness in his eyes, they have milky white in them at times. We all love him dearly, especially Kuta, so we hope he will be around for many years to come.
Big hugs to you all out there with sad stories >Big Grin<
Lisa & Kuta
Lisa & Kuta
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kuta & Brutus
Dog Gender(s) : both Males
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 24 2011, 05:38

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and support. It seems I'm not the only one traveling this path. At least we know we have somewhere to come and talk about our feelings.
Here's hoping we all have many more suns & moons rising in our aging pet's lives. Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 24 2011, 07:06

yes we can only hope for that Lee.

Gem your old horsey looks a treasure.... here are a few pics of my Carnaby .. one when he was in his prime, the other he was about 28 .. not long before he went to Rainbow Bridge....

I'm starting to worry about Kita... BeautifulCarnaby1986

I'm starting to worry about Kita... DarlingCarnabyin2003atBridgetown Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 24 2011, 07:08

Dogalogs88 wrote:
Here's hoping we all have many more suns & moons rising in our aging pet's lives. Love Struck

Yep, well said. Enjoy them while they are here to brighten our days. I love my Roxy to bits and I know she loves me back too, but still have a special place for my dear ol 'Missy-moo (my 16yr Border Collie who we said good-bye to last year) Still manages to bring a tear to the eye Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 24 2011, 08:30

big hugs to everyone, it must be so hard for you all

>Big Grin< >Big Grin< >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 24 2011, 10:05

why can't our pets live forever ???????????? Love Struck Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 24 2011, 10:34

vanessa wrote:

why can't our pets live forever ???????????? Love Struck Crying or Very sad

I wish, but then we'd have to change the dogs laws over here coz I'd have to have a new puppy every few years Smile

Vanessa great shot of your horse and a "younger" Jethro. kiss

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 24 2011, 12:37

thanks...yeah the photo was taken before Jethro started going grey !! ( and me too for that matter !! ) Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Fri Jun 24 2011, 23:07

Love the photos of carnaby he looked a very special boy Love Struck
The bond between horse and rider is wonderful Love Struck
gem
gem

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by fourstaffs Sat Jun 25 2011, 00:22

group hug my frist dog a staffy cross called holy made 17 and she was well loveed till the last mintiue big big hug to all the old boy n girls hope she happy nd comffy

fourstaffs

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : william,harry,gorgie,bella
Dog Gender(s) : malex3,female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down