Halti Harness

3 posters

Go down

Halti Harness Empty Halti Harness

Post by alexiastra Fri Jan 27 2012, 18:23

At puppy school this morning our trainer recommended we get a halti harness as Dora can get very aroused (she is going through an easy to spook stage) and she can be very stubborn when you try to steer her away from things with a conventional collar/lead. It sounds as though with a halti harness I'll have control over her neck with one hand and her shoulders with the other hand so she will be easier to steer which will be helpful.
It should also help to teach her not to pull as she does pull on her lead though we have been working A LOT on this the last couple of weeks and our trainer had noticed a big improvement with her lead walking since last weeks class - hurrah!

I'm sure this question has come up before but I was just wondering if anyone has used a halti harness (not the muzzle head collar one) and whether they found it successful.
alexiastra
alexiastra
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Halti Harness Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dora
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 28

http://www.alexandrabuckle.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Halti Harness Empty Re: Halti Harness

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27 2012, 19:46

Not used one myself, but I can see how they'd help.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 27 2012, 20:32

we use one on billy and it works

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 28 2012, 11:09

The halti harness system worked with Tyson. We used for about a month with 100% improvement with pulling and wandering attention. Personally would recommend. Be warned though, the unitiated will probably think your dog is muzzeled.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 28 2012, 11:42

We are thinking about trying one as well to keep Suki from eating everything she sees.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Sun Jan 29 2012, 16:58

they work very well. personally i havent used one but my brother did with his dobey as it was a nightmare and he had instant success with it. His OH still uses it when she walks him as he is a bit of a big lad and it allows her more control over him
Nathan
Nathan
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by alexiastra Mon Jan 30 2012, 11:24

great, thanks for all the replies. I'm glad to hear some successful reports from peeps and doggies using the the halti harness.

I'll try and get one this week. Not sure whether to start using it straight away though or to wait to get some instruction from our trainer on Friday... Wouldn't want to get it wrong and ruin our chances of it working.

alexiastra
alexiastra
Halti Harness Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Mon Jan 30 2012, 13:02

If you look at any of the Dog School pics of Jack on here, you'll see that he too is wearing halti collar Wink

Like you alex, the dog trainers advised me to get the halti collar for Jack. Jack wears that collar when going for walks and its fantastic! He walks at your pace and there no stress on his neck.
Dan
Dan

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Jack - Max
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years - 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male - Male
Support total : 107

Back to top Go down

Post by alexiastra Thu Feb 23 2012, 17:51

Well finally we have our halti harness. The local pet shop was out of stock for ages so I ordered one on amazon instead. It was very slow in arriving - very frustrating!
Anyway we used it this morning but were a bit concerned that it didn't fit her very well. We got the medium as the pet shop owner recommended. The chest that goes round and under her belly goes small enough for her but the straps that go over her shoulders and round the front don't seem in the right place. We gave it a tentative go this morning anyway - I was pleased that she seemed to be walking much better even though the harness was a little big. We took it off for her to run about in the park though.

However I just took her for walk number 2 and she was really bad. Seemed worse than with her collar. She got distracted a couple of times and just wouldn't turn around and I really struggled to get her attention. At one point she just sat in the road and refused to move. I had to swap back to her collar and come home. It didn't help that a couple of passers by gave us quite a wide birth Sad Not had that before. They probably thought I was an idiot as I couldn't get her under control which upset me.

Very upset that it didn't work out. I hate when walks go badly. Gonna have to try the small harness for her I think, or give up on the idea entirely.

On a separate note. She has destroyed her mattress in her crate today Sad So all in all, not a great day.
alexiastra
alexiastra
Halti Harness Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Thu Feb 23 2012, 18:22

Dora will need a few more walks to get used to it, don't worry Wink
Dan
Dan

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Jack - Max
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years - 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male - Male
Support total : 107

Back to top Go down

Post by alexiastra Fri Feb 24 2012, 13:50

We checked the harness with our dog trainer this morning and she thinks the fit isn't perfect but that it is ok to use, so we will persist with it. You're right Dora probably just needs a bit more time to get used to it.
alexiastra
alexiastra
Halti Harness Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by alexiastra Wed Feb 29 2012, 11:43

I'd just like to report that Dora is getting used to her halti harness now. It has taken us all a few days to adjust to it, but we are getting on much better.
She is much calmer wearing it and doesn't walk on two feet any more when she she's something interesting!
We need more practice at walking past people and dogs. Maybe a few walks in town would be a good idea...

One issue we are having though is that she doesn't seem able to run in it, so we have to take it off her so she can have a ruin about in the park which is a bit of a faff.

I would definitely recommend the halti harness for excitable dogs.

alexiastra
alexiastra
Halti Harness Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down