flame
janey
Caitlin&Roxie
harlou
10 posters

Go down

ATTITUDE NEGATIVE OR OTHER Empty ATTITUDE NEGATIVE OR OTHER

Post by harlou Mon Jan 23 2012, 16:18

Does peoples attitude to staffys differ in different parts of the uk ? I find that the majority of people in the north east are ok with them Olly gets fussed by lots ATTITUDE NEGATIVE OR OTHER P1020680people dog owners or non dog owners!
harlou
harlou
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
ATTITUDE NEGATIVE OR OTHER Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : OLLY
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

ATTITUDE NEGATIVE OR OTHER Empty Re: ATTITUDE NEGATIVE OR OTHER

Post by Guest Mon Jan 23 2012, 16:35

I can't answer that as I live in Australia where staffys are mostly very popular family pets.
But why wouldn't people fuss over Olly..what a hunk !! Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 23 2012, 16:39

I think it does differ wherever you are. Round here there are a lot of thugs with staffs, so the general opinion of the breed is quite low.

Where I used to live in Hay on Wye they'd only seen one other staff so they were pretty complimenatry about them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Caitlin&Roxie Mon Jan 23 2012, 18:27

same as Caryll. Barrow-In-Furness have alot of young lads aka chavs, who think that having a staffie makes them look tougher. its annoying as people who see my girl, look at me asif to say 'huh, another chav with a rotten dog' but i spend all my time in leggings and boots or flat shoes.

its a shame really.
Caitlin&Roxie
Caitlin&Roxie
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Roxie
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Jan 23 2012, 18:33

I think people round here look at me like I am one of those chavs!
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 23 2012, 18:41

Here in Northern Ireland we have people who are not bothered by them but then people who don't like them but have never actually seen/met/had experiance with one so base their opinions purely on the news.

Back to top Go down

Post by Caitlin&Roxie Mon Jan 23 2012, 19:20

same janey! its embarrasing. two old women were looking at me funny today when i was walking through the town centre coming back from our run. and i didnt even have to ask roxie to sit at the road. she just did it. just turned round and smiled. really annoys me.

Caitlin&Roxie
Caitlin&Roxie

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Roxie
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 23 2012, 19:22

It's mixed where I am, lots of chavs with their status dogs, so far no one has said anything to me, but a few people have crossed the road, but I think I am too old to be a chav
Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by flame Mon Jan 23 2012, 19:47

janey wrote:

I think people round here look at me like I am one of those chavs!

Laughing Laughing

i get that too, excpet you can tell on there faces thinking wait i didnt think chavs had grey roots thinking Laughing Laughing

i have had bad reactions everywhere apart from family and friends.
flame
flame

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : River
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Mon Jan 23 2012, 19:58

I live in London, which is the size of a country as it is.
I can have different opinions down one road to another!
Where i useally go on weekends, the country park, is full of gundog/collie/handbag dog owners. About 75% are fine, some are overreactive though. Some man plonked himself down to me yesterday and started talking how sad it was people are so mean about staffies as they're so lovely and affectionate. He then when on to ask if Romeo was a boxer? Surprised So I don't know if he was just confused!?
I never see other staffies though, I could count the amount of staffies i've seen in my local area on one hand, on a good day in that park hes very popular and gains himself a little fan club. Last time it was several policemen.
On hadley common, which borderes quite a posh area (and is literally 5 mins away from the park) people HATE staffies and pick their dogs up etc and look at Romeo like hes a dragon. It's pretty hilarious that there can be such a divide of opinion when the two places are almost next to each other. I don't get it!
When i was walking through Barnet with Romeo people were jumping out the way and grabbing their kids.
I've travelled with him on the tube through central london (and had to carry his three stone up the escalator-my back!) and people were enthralled. No one reacted badly, even when he decided he liked the look of some random business man and licked his knee and put ginger hair all over him.
Where i used to work in Kentish Town, everyone that had a dog had a staffy, a pitbull type or a jack russell. They would just drop the leads and go into the shop and leave the dog! It used to make me cringe-whats to stop people just picking up the lead and walking off with the dog?

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Jan 23 2012, 20:07

I must say the funniest reaction I have had with Moo is on the tube and train when we went to London last year! Had people taking photos, and yes carrying her on the escalator was a mare, thought I was gonna pass out!

Its funny, the older generation at the pub I go to adore her and its the younger generation that don't, although very 'Surrey Wives' here lol.

(soz to offend any!!)
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by kellenny Mon Jan 23 2012, 20:25

Caryll wrote:I think it does differ wherever you are. Round here there are a lot of thugs with staffs, so the general opinion of the breed is quite low.

Where I used to live in Hay on Wye they'd only seen one other staff so they were pretty complimenatry about them.

I used to live in Hay on Wye, my brother still lives there. We often take Sandi and Jasper down to the Warren! What a small world.
kellenny
kellenny
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Sandi
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by eskidavies Mon Jan 23 2012, 20:45

ask this * of a journalist who has assumed the breed is bad at wits end
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4077956/Dad-punches-raging-Staffordshire-bull-terrier-dog-to-save-girl-6.html boils my p**s the sun have jumped on the "HELLO" staffy again,i wish they could see my brothers dog bruno with his son who is 4,oh and the new arival ,tommy who is 12 days old.ok phew rant over,sorry vent ,vent
eskidavies
eskidavies

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : sox
Dog Gender(s) : bitch
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by stiofan Mon Jan 23 2012, 23:31

Very negative here, people cross the road to avoid us or maybe it's me they are avoiding Smile A few people regularly say hello to the dogs but most of those have known them since they were pups.
stiofan
stiofan

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sisko, Kasidy ,Tasha
Dog Gender(s) : Male,Female,Female
Support total : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Tue Jan 24 2012, 00:16

It is very pro staffy here I get quite good comments out on walks but then Ledger is very dog ambivalent generally eager to say hi but quickly loses interest and wants to continue on his walk.

Got talking to one chap with a nervous collie on the weekend and he was listing the bad experiences he has had with dogs/owners in the park and they were all the same ones that Ledger is defensive of I had put it down to being all male owners that don't have full control of their dogs.

Generally though the other staffy owners I have met are 30+ and all dogs have been of good behaviour but maybe thats because we walk our dogs. The street drinking kids round here don't really tend to have dogs with them just one girl with a Jack Russell and one chap with a Mastiff (which is often off lead and is DA)
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 24 2012, 09:28

we have mixed emotions in Leeds about them but as most people round here have seen Lemmy since he was a tiny puppy they know he will just lick them to death so they think he's quite cute and cant beleive that a proper staff is not the big bruiser thing that most people have they thought Lemmy was a runt and Lottie was the proper one. One little old lady always takes her sons GSD to feed the dicks and we bump into her most mornings. She loves Lemmy and calls him a cute little hooligan. Ther GSD waggs its tail when it see's him coming and they sit nice together watching us feed the ducks and sharing the bread. Lottie shamefully for who ever had her originaly can't do those things she will sit and feed the ducks but not too close to others cos it frightens her so am afraid she wouldnt be too much of an advert for the the staffy or boxer breed poor girl.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggie1 Tue Jan 24 2012, 10:27

Another one in the north east here. I've only had good comments about the breed since I've had her.

I have to say a few years ago we had a right bunch of chavs turn up at a charity dog show. It defiantly turned a few heads. I got talking to them. They were really nice, the dogs were also well behaved and social. It was obvious they all loved their dogs and were very pround of them.
Maggie1
Maggie1
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maggie
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : F
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down