how do i teach River to play? help please.

4 posters

Go down

how do i teach River to play? help please. Empty how do i teach River to play? help please.

Post by flame Wed Dec 21 2011, 20:19

Hi

River has loads of toys we have brought her but she doesnt know how to play with them Crying or Very sad i have tired throwing various toys and running after them myself lol, to show her..that didnt work, tried encouragement that hasnt worked. the only thing she does is chase her tail but at 1-2 she is abit old for that now.. it breaks my heart to know she has never played before. any suggestions on how to teach her to play please.?
flame
flame
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
how do i teach River to play? help please. Top_ra10

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : River
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

how do i teach River to play? help please. Empty Re: how do i teach River to play? help please.

Post by Guest Wed Dec 21 2011, 20:27

Aw bless her. It's new to her at the moment. She's in a new home with new people, new routine, news sights and smells, she's still adjusting to life with you. All you can do is keep encouraging her, and bear in mind, not all dogs do want to play. As long as she is getting plenty of love and affection, she'll be fine. The playing will probably come when she feels more settled and comfortable.

Back to top Go down

how do i teach River to play? help please. Empty Re: how do i teach River to play? help please.

Post by janey Wed Dec 21 2011, 20:30

Your gonna have to give it time. Everything is new to her and you. Probably quite overwhelming. Earn each others trust, she'll come out of her shell.

The tail can be a sign of frustration, just coming out of kennels, try to stop it when she does it.

Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Dec 21 2011, 20:31

my sam is like that he willn't chew anything at all not even sticks... you could try getting kong and seeing if that get her playing but it didn't work with my sam being 1-2 year old it is going to be hard.

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by flame Wed Dec 21 2011, 20:38

Thank you, i forget she has only been here since Friday, it feels like she always been here. she is so good in other ways, but its the signs of the abuse she has gone through i find hard. i was told not to feel sorry for her, but to stay firm with her and give loads of cuddles which i do and she does. your all right. im gonna buy her a king for Christmas to go with her other stuff Big Grin.. she does chew ok, like raw bones etc just dont play..iwill give it some more time thank you all :d
flame
flame
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
how do i teach River to play? help please. Top_ra10

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : River
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 21 2011, 21:19

I would try the Kong as well. You can stuff treats inside and let her smell it and toss it a bit away and see if she will chase it. Since you've only had her a few days I wouldn't be too concerned I'm sure she will come around soon enough.

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Wed Dec 21 2011, 22:03

What sort of toys do you have? Often it's a matter of finding the right kind of toy. Those with real fur are often among the easier ones to get them interested in - like one with pieces of sheepskin like this: http://www.positiveanimalsolutions.co.uk/images/ramtug.jpg Perhaps even take it to bed with you for a couple of nights so it smells nicely of you Smile

If no toys are or become interesting you could try the tug-n-treat or whatever it's called a tug toy and treat pouch in one to make it smell interesting and you can reward the tugging with a treat. Rewarding playing with food treats can be helpful and build interest for the playing Smile
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down