seems to be a popular topic - jumping and biting!

2 posters

Go down

seems to be a popular topic - jumping and biting!  Empty seems to be a popular topic - jumping and biting!

Post by markm730 Tue Dec 20 2011, 14:06

i have been reading through some of the topics in this section and it seems to be a popular topic to be brought up. have made a few posts previously and have tried to follow some tried and tested results but still seem to be having the same problem with the jumping up at new visitors into the house and the biting / chewing of items in the house. we have provided him with plenty of strong chew toys which he enjoys but is still very over excited when either playing or greeting us when we enter from work. The jumping is gettingtoo regular and as a result can not have people round to the house.
we also have a serious issue when taking him out in the car. a few weeks ago i purchased a dog gaurd and fitted it to the rear of my car so we could take him to the park further afield. i had to attatch a short lead to 1 of the luggage brackets then fit to his collar, giving him plenty of room to move or lie down if he wanted. Well, anyone would think i was trying to rip his limbs off with the noise he was making whilst i was driving. he tried his hardest to get through the gaurd which he succeeded in doing but couldnt get any further due to the strap attatched to his collar. it was a fifteen min journey which felt like a lot longer. we had the same issues on the way back. he was fine and dandy when we stopped and he got back in the house - bizarre!!
Have looked around at different sites to see if a spot of training would help. does anyone know of any reputable traing centres / trainers that may be able to help within the greater manchester area / Oldham.
regards at wits end

markm730
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Buster
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

seems to be a popular topic - jumping and biting!  Empty Re: seems to be a popular topic - jumping and biting!

Post by Guest Tue Dec 20 2011, 20:52

With the jumping up it's really a matter of being consistant and ignoring the behaviour. Everyone struggles with this and it really just takes time. I don't know what to advise about getting back home becuase all of my dogs have been excited until they get to be much older.

For chewing on the furniture there are products available like Bitter Apple that you can apply to the furniture you don't want chewed.

We have the same setup as you do in the car and Suki still howls almost every time. We will put chew toys back there for her and that helps sometimes. I think she does it because she is anxious about getting to g oto the park and play and has excess energy.

Back to top Go down

seems to be a popular topic - jumping and biting!  Empty Re: seems to be a popular topic - jumping and biting!

Post by Aniemother Tue Dec 20 2011, 21:11

I would look into Dr. Karen L. Overall's Relaxation Protocol: http://dogscouts.org/Protocol_for_relaxation.html

That should help both with the Excessive Greeting Disorder and the issues in the car.

As for the chewing of inappropriate items: supervision, supervision, supervision and prevention. Limit the dog's ability to find reinforcement for himself by crating, having him in a dog proofed room or having him on a leash (either tied to you or secured somewhere in the house where no inappropriate items can be reached when you cannot supervise.
Aniemother
Aniemother
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down