Help with halti Milo mostly hates it! :(

2 posters

Go down

Help with halti Milo mostly hates it! :( Empty Help with halti Milo mostly hates it! :(

Post by ardvark Sun Dec 18 2011, 20:51

Hi, I bought a halti really for 'road walks' with Milo ie when it's dark and we're walking along the streets around where we live. Why because he pulls not really badly but it hurts my wrist by the time I get home! Anyway he was less than impressed and despite it being fitted correctly he was able to get it off time and time again Sad I began by playing frisbee with him as I knew this would distract him then after 5 mins. or so we walked to the orchards across the fields but he just kept getting the damn thing off (persistent little sod!) so I continued play time and distraction by throwing a ball again and again but he was still intermittently but persistently getting it off by the time it came for us to walk to collect the children I dumped the halti in my car thinking will he ever get used to it?

Anyone got over this? I'm dreading leading him out with it as when I tried after the play time he jumped around like I was trying to hang him no joke Sad
ardvark
ardvark
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Help with halti Milo mostly hates it! :( Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Milo
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Help with halti Milo mostly hates it! :( Empty Re: Help with halti Milo mostly hates it! :(

Post by Guest Sun Dec 18 2011, 21:19

Suki didn't like her harness or any of her sweaters and would try everything to get them off. We just kept putting them on inside of the house and she eventually got used to them

Back to top Go down

Help with halti Milo mostly hates it! :( Empty Re: Help with halti Milo mostly hates it! :(

Post by ardvark Sun Dec 18 2011, 22:01

I guess sweaters and harness would be harder to get off than Milos halti. He seems to get it off in just a couple of attempts Sad
ardvark
ardvark
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Help with halti Milo mostly hates it! :( Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Milo
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Sun Dec 18 2011, 22:53

Try to make it into a Good Thing by putting it before play time, dinner, treats and so on. You can make a point of taking it off half way through hand feeding yummy treats/playing/whatever and then immediately stop all fun - then let it resume once it's back on.

Oh - and until it's worn happily I'd just keep it on for shorter stretches. It'll help you in the long run if he doesn't have the experience of getting it off. So - if he'll take it off after 3 minutes remove it after 2 and so on.
Aniemother
Aniemother
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 18 2011, 23:10

Can I ask why you can't teach him to walk properly on lead with a normal collar without pulling?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 19 2011, 16:05

I used a Halti with Ty as he was a puller. He hated the halti and tried to get it off consistently but I persisted and it worked for me. We dispensed with it after about a month (it gave me great confidence to actually feel what it is like to walk a dog that does not pull). He is brilliant now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down