raw bones

2 posters

Go down

raw bones Empty raw bones

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01 2011, 18:50

Hi, just wondering when Vinnie can have raw bones, he is 4 months old today?. Could anyone tell me what type of bones he can have if I ask at my butchers? Smile

Back to top Go down

raw bones Empty Re: raw bones

Post by Aniemother Thu Dec 01 2011, 19:00

Anything, as long as they're raw! Preferably with some meat on them, though, the more the better. Will you give them as a little recreational chewing or as part of a raw diet?

raw bones Mai11055-1
Here's my puppy @ 8 weeks - he's been all raw all his life!
Aniemother
Aniemother
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Thu Dec 01 2011, 19:04

Yes, and it can help a lot in the teething stage. As long as they are raw, you are good to go.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01 2011, 19:08

I want to give him them as part of his diet. Was thinking for his morning meal, at the moment have gradually replaced his dry puppy food with raw tripe in the morning. I dont know how long he needs puppy food its what breeder was giving them but I would prefer a raw diet. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Thu Dec 01 2011, 19:13

Not a problem at all. Monte has been on raw his whole life. The picture Ane posted says the same for her dog. You just have to remember that puppies need to eat between 2-3% of their target adult weight. I am a backward american who uses lbs. In lbs a male staffy is supposed to be up to 38lbs. You can go backward from there. No need for puppy chow if he is on raw.

Last edited by bbimson on Thu Dec 01 2011, 19:15; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add info)
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01 2011, 19:47

Thanks for the info, I am a bit thick too when it comes to weight conversion but working on what you said Ben, he should be having about three quarters of a pund of meat a day. does that sound about right? Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01 2011, 20:16

Spread over 2 or 3 meals, yes, that sounds about right.

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Thu Dec 01 2011, 20:21

inez maria wrote:Thanks for the info, I am a bit thick too when it comes to weight conversion but working on what you said Ben, he should be having about three quarters of a pund of meat a day. does that sound about right? Smile
TBH - when it comes to puppies my opinion is that they can eat as much as they want. Some days they grow more than others and weighing their food is just a PITA.. Now of course if you need to practice giving the correct meat/bone/organ ratios weighing can be useful, so it all depends a bit. And you might want to measure in the beginning to get an idea of what sort of an amount to start with. But generally - don't stress with the weight with puppies! I'm sure it's possible for them to get overweight on raw but I've never seen it - I haven't measured a single meal for my boy and he's self regulated wonderfully.
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Fri Dec 02 2011, 00:16

Aniemother wrote:
inez maria wrote:Thanks for the info, I am a bit thick too when it comes to weight conversion but working on what you said Ben, he should be having about three quarters of a pund of meat a day. does that sound about right? Smile
TBH - when it comes to puppies my opinion is that they can eat as much as they want. Some days they grow more than others and weighing their food is just a PITA.. Now of course if you need to practice giving the correct meat/bone/organ ratios weighing can be useful, so it all depends a bit. And you might want to measure in the beginning to get an idea of what sort of an amount to start with. But generally - don't stress with the weight with puppies! I'm sure it's possible for them to get overweight on raw but I've never seen it - I haven't measured a single meal for my boy and he's self regulated wonderfully.

I think it is about .45kg per lb. However, if your dog is good at self-regulating you don't have to worry much. Caryll brings up a good point to spread it out over a few meals per day. My dog is terrible at self-regulation. I think he would literally burst in half before he stopped gorging himself Surprised . I do about 80% meat, 10% bone and 10% organs (half of which should be liver). Have fun with it!
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down