Ok, After reading some storys. advice.

5 posters

Go down

Ok, After reading some storys. advice. Empty Ok, After reading some storys. advice.

Post by Laurarhys Wed Nov 30 2011, 20:32

What is everyones opinion on staffys im due to get my first in january he's a week old heard some storys about this breed attacking people. Is it all based on up bringing?

Laurarhys
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Ok, After reading some storys. advice. Empty Re: Ok, After reading some storys. advice.

Post by Ben Wed Nov 30 2011, 20:38

Any dog can be aggressive. However, staffys are naturally great with people especially kids. I have four children from age 4-12 and mine adores them (I wouldn't every have a dangerous dog around my children)! I don't think he would hurt anybody even if they broke into my house. I strongly believe it is the owners and not the breed. If you are getting a healthy pup and you socialize them well, they will be great! Staffys make the news because it is popular for the media to make Staffys a scapegoat but honestly they have some of the most stable and consistant personalities and temperments. Catstina posted at one point some research on temperment testing and Staffys were one of the top. I'll see if I can find the thread and post!
Ben
Ben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Ok, After reading some storys. advice. Empty Re: Ok, After reading some storys. advice.

Post by Laurarhys Wed Nov 30 2011, 20:41

Ok great thankyou Smile

Laurarhys

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 30 2011, 21:21

Agree they are great with people and the issue is with the handlers and not the dog. If you know someone that has a Staffy try to spend some time with him to see what they are like.

They do require alot of training and have lots of energy. They will need at least 2 45 minute walks everyday, once they are old enough, or they will find other ways to release their energy. Socializing them as early as possible with as many different types of dogs and people as possible will be a great help.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 30 2011, 21:54

Other end of the lead should be on the lead in some cases Crying or Very sad

My little girl is the most devoted and trusting friend I have ever had in my life , Tilly is bounding around me when I'm out and laid placid by my feet when I am at home , she gives everything and asks for nothing (apart from sweeties), I have had some great dogs over the years but nothing beats my staffy Love Struck
My wife is a childminder and all the kids love Tilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 30 2011, 22:58

I had the same problem. I was worried about all the stuff I've read but boy have they got it wrong! My eldest was 7 and my twins were 3 when I got Charlie and I can honestly say, he is the most patient, tolerant and loving dog I've ever met. Staffies, in my opinion, are better around children than dogs like labs and golden retrievers even though people think they are the best to have around children. They actually bite or snap much more frequently than staffs but its not publicized because they don't do as much damage when they bite. But staffs do not bite often, and not without provocation, so as long as you raise your children and your dog to be respectful of each other, you shouldn't have any problems.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 30 2011, 23:44

Is this your first dog? Staffys are full of character and are incredibly loving but without A LOT of socialization and training they can natrually be a little dog aggressive, but so can every dog. But i have to say i have never met a human aggressive staffy! They are a dog that needs a VERY secure yard as they can become invisible and walk through concrete. They also need a lot of chew toys as staffy vs sofa always ends in staffy 1 - sofa £1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler&megsmum Thu Dec 01 2011, 08:04

Agree with the above posts,I have owned Staffords for 20 yrs and never once have I seen anyone of my dogs even curl there lip.

My Meg is Dog Aggressive,but she is absolutely fantastic with people and kids.
Staffords when bred properly and brought up properly make wonderful family pets.
I have even had our vets comment on her temperament after her op for Pyo,she made the comment that even after all she had been through,drip,big op,stitches,hospitalized for the night she still wagged her tail and got cuddles from the staff,and so the nurse could check her stitches post op she would roll over onto her back LOL.

My boy is exactly the same,entire male and he's absolutely brilliant,he loves other dogs too,not that he gets the chance to mix because people see him coming and walk the other way.
Tyler&megsmum
Tyler&megsmum
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tyler & Meg
Dog Gender(s) : Dog & bitch
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01 2011, 08:37

Staffords are the last dog in the world if brought up correctly who should be attacking humans! Back in the days of pit fighting etc humans would have 2 step in to break up fights and tend to wounds etc so could not risk being attacked them selves, injured dogs (so its said) even used to ride home in babies prams on the way back from a fight! Staffords are generelly not dog dogs and u have to be prepared for that possibility but as far as human are concerned if any staff of mine (who was brought up and treated in a good way and wasnt ill etc) was to act in anyway agressive towards a person i wouldnt hesitate to put it down as it obviously wasnt mentally stable. Staffords should in no way at all be agressive towards people!

Back to top Go down

Post by Laurarhys Thu Dec 01 2011, 09:14

No this isn't my first dog i've owned but i have many friends with sbt and there great very friendly xx

Laurarhys

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Thu Dec 01 2011, 14:49

There great dogs you wont be disapointed im sure very occasionally you hear awfull stories and there is an explanation at the end of it always Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01 2011, 18:12

gem wrote:There great dogs you wont be disapointed im sure very occasionally you hear awfull stories and there is an explanation at the end of it always Smile

And the expliation is usually that the owner has left it somewhere unfamiliar with someone the dog barely knows and that person leaves the dog alone with a child! That or the fact that the "aggressive" staffs are own by druggies and hoods. Ive yet to hear a horror story about a staff which was owned by responsible people.

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Thu Dec 01 2011, 18:25

Equi wrote:
gem wrote:There great dogs you wont be disapointed im sure very occasionally you hear awfull stories and there is an explanation at the end of it always Smile

And the expliation is usually that the owner has left it somewhere unfamiliar with someone the dog barely knows and that person leaves the dog alone with a child! That or the fact that the "aggressive" staffs are own by druggies and hoods. Ive yet to hear a horror story about a staff which was owned by responsible people.

Yes you are right I was also thinking medical conditions and one springs to mind L2-HGA symptoms can be seizures and personality disorders and that can mean aggresive outbursts we know its present in the breed and good breeders will not breed affected or untested dogs Smile

Last edited by gem on Thu Dec 01 2011, 18:27; edited 1 time in total
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01 2011, 18:26

The main things is in my opinion a dog is what we as owners make them, if you bring it up nasty thats what it will think is acceptable, if you bring it up well, sociaise it etc it will be a good dog. Its like children its how you bring them up.
Regardless of breed any dog has the potentional too be agressive.

We have 2 staffords and a collie x they all get on great along with there kitty bro and bunnie sisters they have.

Good on you for coming and gettin advice from people who have experience with this breed.

The media need such a big kick up there butts they have alot too answer for aswel as some scum who knock the staffordshire bull terriers name.

good luck with your pup lots of fun too come Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler&megsmum Thu Dec 01 2011, 21:09

xXxshelly_stanliexXx wrote:The main things is in my opinion a dog is what we as owners make them, if you bring it up nasty thats what it will think is acceptable, if you bring it up well, sociaise it etc it will be a good dog. Its like children its how you bring them up.
Don't quite agree with that,my bitch was fine until she was continually jumped all over and attacked,as a result she is DA.You have to read her as well because she doesn't give any warning,no growl,no showing teeth,nothing.

As for the media and taboilds deserves to be hung in the toilet!
Tyler&megsmum
Tyler&megsmum

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01 2011, 21:29

Tyler&megsmum wrote:
xXxshelly_stanliexXx wrote:The main things is in my opinion a dog is what we as owners make them, if you bring it up nasty thats what it will think is acceptable, if you bring it up well, sociaise it etc it will be a good dog. Its like children its how you bring them up.
Don't quite agree with that,my bitch was fine until she was continually jumped all over and attacked,as a result she is DA.You have to read her as well because she doesn't give any warning,no growl,no showing teeth,nothing.

But that wasnt your fault, you didn't MAKE other dogs jump her, im sure she was lovely before that and is now just afraid.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler&megsmum Thu Dec 01 2011, 21:34

Equi wrote:
Tyler&megsmum wrote:

But that wasnt your fault, you didn't MAKE other dogs jump her, im sure she was lovely before that and is now just afraid.

Yes she was lovely,still is LOL,just will not tolerate other dogs,not even puppies Sad
Tyler&megsmum
Tyler&megsmum

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01 2011, 21:41

Tyler&megsmum wrote:

Yes she was lovely,still is LOL,just will not tolerate other dogs,not even puppies Sad

I don tlike puppies either, so we would be good friends! lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler&megsmum Thu Dec 01 2011, 21:55

[quote="gem"]
Tyler&megsmum wrote:
Equi wrote:
Tyler&megsmum wrote:

So true,she lives with our Tyler and the majority of the time is fine,she has bitten him a couple of times,once when we had come back from a walk, and once when she had a ball and Tyler went to pick it up.So we don't allow toys unless we have one to one play sessions.
Tyler&megsmum
Tyler&megsmum

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 02 2011, 09:24

Tyler&megsmum wrote:

Something has happened in order for her too become agressive, not something you have done but that dog attacking her made her agressive.

In my opinion its how you bring them up. people dont have too agree with my but thats my opinion.

Stanlie was socilised from a young age 12 weeks with all different breeds of dogs i dont have any problems with his temprement. dogs have gone for him but he just runs away plus he is neutered.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Fri Dec 02 2011, 21:46

We have never owned a staffie before, but have had a welsh sheepdog from pup to when we lost him at 7 years old. We have two young children a 2 year old and 4 year old, and I trust Tinkerbell a lot more than I would ever have trusted the sheepdog.

I am a believer in a dog's temperament being down to the way it is brought up but also think there are other factors which contribute too, for example breed. You need to know the characteristics of the breed, their likes and dislikes and most importantly the exercise level needed to keep them mentally and physically occupied. A lot of problems arise with any breed of dog due to lack of exercise or boredom. I have to say though since owning Tinkerbell I have never come across a friendlier, more laid back docile dog. She puts up with a hell of a lot from the 2 year old, and only ever gives love and affection back in return. We are very lucky to have her, and I can't imagine now what life was like before we had her.

Dog aggression towards humans can occur in any breed. Most people think of collies as being excellent dogs, yet ours couldn't be trusted and did bite my mother when she stupidly went under the table to retirieve a piece of food he had stolen from the worksurface. But staffies do get a lot of bad press, and because they are to blame for a lot of attacks, especially on children, the public is led to believe every staffie is evil. However if you read the articles they mostly refer to a staffie type dog which could be absolutely anything, and chances are high that it wasn't a staff.

I personally believe that although aggression isn't all down to upbringing it plays an exceptionally large part in the temperament of your dog. But your alredy showing responsible onwership by researching the breed prior to owning a pup, so well done and good luck with the new arrival. Smile
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tinkerbell
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler&megsmum Fri Dec 02 2011, 22:15

xXxshelly_stanliexXx wrote:
Tyler&megsmum wrote:

Something has happened in order for her too become agressive, not something you have done but that dog attacking her made her agressive.

In my opinion its how you bring them up. people dont have too agree with my but thats my opinion.

Stanlie was socilised from a young age 12 weeks with all different breeds of dogs i dont have any problems with his temprement. dogs have gone for him but he just runs away plus he is neutered.

My Tyler is fine,entire male has never ever retaliated even when he's been bitten,

Meg is spayed, and her aggression is worse now than before she was spayed,it's just something we have to live with and manage,that's the way she is,she is a work in progress and we do work on her aggression but then you get just one idiot that allows a dog to charge her and we are straight back to square one Sad

She has bitten dogs previously,last incident was about 18 months ago and a GSD charged her in the street,loose and no owner in sight,she hadn't been very well,was hospitalized at the vets,this happened a week later and she had a fit in the street,another vet visit.Thankfully she has been fine since,the vet put the fit down to her been unwell,on ab's and the loose dog sent her stress levels through the roof.
Tyler&megsmum
Tyler&megsmum

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down