Adoption questionaire

5 posters

Go down

Adoption questionaire Empty Adoption questionaire

Post by Guest Sat Nov 26 2011, 16:19

i just read the questionaire from the rescue centre we got Lottie from (they have now put one on line). we didnt get to read it cos the lass that came for the home visit just read the questions out and we answered them but one part of it that we didnt get to see says that the dog is still the property of the rescue centre even after adoption. i dont bloody think so. i paid for her so as the law of the land goes if you want to call her property then after money has changed hands the property is now legaly mine so this statement on their form should not actualy be there. or am i wrong

Back to top Go down

Adoption questionaire Empty Re: Adoption questionaire

Post by Guest Sat Nov 26 2011, 16:26

i do get why its there they just want to make sure the dogs are ok and if we couldnt cope that we would give her back to them and not just dump her on someone else willy nilly or have her put down. they would rather try rehome her

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 26 2011, 17:00

Well i know that most rescue centers operate under this. It just means you are not allowed to sell your dog on and if you want to rehome her to a friend/person you know you have to let the rescue know and they will do a check and if they don't think its suitable they will take her back. It also means that the dog can be taken off you at any time if they feel you are not caring for it properly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soz Sat Nov 26 2011, 17:12

My boy is a rescue and I took him on the understanding that he essentially remains their 'property'. He is chipped with their details, so as if he ever got lost or stolen and then recovered he would be returned to them and they could ascertain with me how he came to be missing in the first place. i.e. did I dump him somewhere or had I passed him on to some other unsuitable owner. I dont really have a problem with it, he's mine for life Love Struck
Soz
Soz
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chase
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Sat Nov 26 2011, 21:28

The rescue centre I got Ledger from also said that they would regularly check up on him to see how he is settling in and they love to have updates but apart from a call off their vet a few days in I have heard nothing

I see why they put it they have a duty of care to place the dog in the right home in the first place and I'm sure there are many many people who do not appreciate the responsibility and 'send' their dogs back. But on the flip side there are so so many dogs passing through these centres there must be a cut off where they think 'we don't need to worry about that one he/she has got a home for life now'
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 26 2011, 21:58

We didn't do a questionnaire per say when we adopted Chance but i did read all their terms and cons and they state that any dog adopted is still owned by the rescue and always will be. I don't see it like that though, Chance is mine and thats it, it is however to stop people selling the dog on and if you can't keep the dog it is to go back to the rescue.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler&megsmum Sat Nov 26 2011, 23:15

_julie_ wrote:i just read the questionaire from the rescue centre we got Lottie from (they have now put one on line). we didnt get to read it cos the lass that came for the home visit just read the questions out and we answered them but one part of it that we didnt get to see says that the dog is still the property of the rescue centre even after adoption. i dont bloody think so. i paid for her so as the law of the land goes if you want to call her property then after money has changed hands the property is now legaly mine so this statement on their form should not actualy be there. or am i wrong

Adoption been the key word,not ownership.
If it did go to court for any specific reason you wouldn't have a leg to stand on sadly.You will find all rescues use water tight adoption contracts because they can't be sure even after the dog has been rehomed.

You will also see that it will be a donation not a sale,so again they did not sell you the dog, and they retain ownership,common practice with all rescue's.
Tyler&megsmum
Tyler&megsmum
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tyler & Meg
Dog Gender(s) : Dog & bitch
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sun Nov 27 2011, 01:37

Yes the rescues do continue to have legal ownership of the dog but dont worry they do this to protect the dog should things go wrong and they have no desire to take the dog back unless they have to due to the dog not being cared for they will also hold back any pedigree registeration docs too it is rescue practice Smile
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 27 2011, 10:00

To be honest its the best thing for the dog this way.....so long as u do right by lottie she will be forever yours but if u didnt then the rescue centre could step in and remove her. I no its not a nice thought but really it is best by far for the dogs. Rescue backup for any staff is really a lifeline espeacially for private rehoming

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Nov 27 2011, 12:48

I guess it is a good thing that they have the dog's best interests at heart. As previously stated if the dog is not being cared for properly it is rightfully sensibly rehomed. Surely that is what anyone would want.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down