+5
Dan
Ben
Lara J
appollo13102000
flipearl13
9 posters

Go down

little help for a first time Staff owner Empty little help for a first time Staff owner

Post by flipearl13 Mon Nov 21 2011, 19:18

my first time to own this amazing dog! i would really appreciate some tips and suggestions on the following:

1. feeding
2. excercise (walks, spiring poles, etc.)
3. behavior
4. what i need to keep an eye out for

i've been doing some research on my end but i think it would be really better if i heard it from experienced owners like members of this forum instead. there aren't a lot of Staff owners here in my country and and they just define their dogs as pit bulls. they overfeed them, make them dog agressive, crop their ears, etc.
flipearl13
flipearl13
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Noa
Dog Gender(s) : F
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

little help for a first time Staff owner Empty Re: little help for a first time Staff owner

Post by appollo13102000 Mon Nov 21 2011, 19:47

Big Grin welcome
appollo13102000
appollo13102000
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : ruby/ nigel
Dog(s) Ages : 9 and 7ish
Dog Gender(s) : female/male
Support total : 28

Back to top Go down

little help for a first time Staff owner Empty Re: little help for a first time Staff owner

Post by Lara J Mon Nov 21 2011, 19:53

hi from Alfie and I Smile
Lara J
Lara J
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog Gender(s) : Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mon Nov 21 2011, 19:57

1. Feeding: I personally feed raw about 2-3% of body weight but a growing pup will need about twice that. I give offal and some freeze dried roughage throughout the week as well to suppliment the meat and bones. There are also high quality kibbles out there but personally mine thrives on the raw diet.
2. Gave you what I currently do, but for now playing and walking should be good. I am unsure how old Noa is but she looks pretty young so don't over do it.
3. Staffys will keep you Laughing Crying or Very sad Big Grin I dont want to s >Big Grin< and occasionally at wits end but it is all worth it. Make sure you do basic obedience training and you can't start too young. This breed needs to be socialized with other dogs and people to keep them well rounded, but you need to get to know your dog and her body language.
4. Keep your eye out for any tramatizing events as Staffys remember for a long time. Also, read through the forum and see what others have done. Don't forget to enjoy it always. Big Grin
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21 2011, 20:00

Welcome to the forum Smile

Feeding :- http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/feedingyourstafford.html

Health Concerns :- http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/healthconcerns.html

Behavior/Body Language :- http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/dogbodylanguage.html
^ Make sure your staff knows YOU are the boss, and be firm! they can be a stubborn breed! lol

Exercise, everyone is different some take there's out 2-3 times a day, some more, some less .. me personally i like to give my two a good 2-3 hours a day .. if i am really busy they will have an hour and half it depends on the weather etc too as one of mine hates the rain lol.

Hope ive helped Smile everyone on here is happy to help Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21 2011, 20:55

Lots of great info here

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/

The forum also has a search function and tons of old topics to read through. If you have a specific question just ask there is always someone around to help.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21 2011, 21:34

bbimson wrote:1. Feeding: I personally feed raw about 2-3% of body weight but a growing pup will need about twice that. I give offal and some freeze dried roughage throughout the week as well to suppliment the meat and bones. There are also high quality kibbles out there but personally mine thrives on the raw diet.
2. Gave you what I currently do, but for now playing and walking should be good. I am unsure how old Noa is but she looks pretty young so don't over do it.
3. Staffys will keep you Laughing Crying or Very sad Big Grin I dont want to s >Big Grin< and occasionally at wits end but it is all worth it. Make sure you do basic obedience training and you can't start too young. This breed needs to be socialized with other dogs and people to keep them well rounded, but you need to get to know your dog and her body language.
4. Keep your eye out for any tramatizing events as Staffys remember for a long time. Also, read through the forum and see what others have done. Don't forget to enjoy it always. Big Grin

thumbs up Good advice. I especially like no. 3!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 23 2011, 02:36

Hi & little help for a first time Staff owner Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

little help for a first time Staff owner Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
little help for a first time Staff owner Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
little help for a first time Staff owner Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
little help for a first time Staff owner Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
little help for a first time Staff owner Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
little help for a first time Staff owner Icon_arrow Make a Donate to help us to keep us improving our forum and website.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 23 2011, 08:40

hello and welcome

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 23 2011, 09:02

hi and welcome from Millie, Bella and me Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Wed Nov 23 2011, 09:21

Hello and welcome aboard Smile

Don't ask me I'm just the village idiot, but you've come to the right place Wink You'll find everything you need to know regarding your staffy.
Dan
Dan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Jack - Max
Dog(s) Ages : 3 years - 10 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male - Male
Support total : 107

Back to top Go down

Post by flipearl13 Wed Nov 23 2011, 12:53

thank u everyone! all ur input have been really helpful and have pointed me to the right direction, couldn't thank u guys enough.
flipearl13
flipearl13

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Noa
Dog Gender(s) : F

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Nov 23 2011, 17:41

Hi & welcome Smile

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Wed Nov 23 2011, 20:45

hia from me and sasha Smile
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 24 2011, 00:07

Hi there , and welcome from Me and RoXy.

Browse the forum and the website ( there's loads of info ) and if you have any questions or input, you're in the right place. Looking forward to hearing more and seeing more of you and your Noa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 25 2011, 05:35

hi there and welcome..

all I can say is that staffys need lots of discipline... lots of exercise and lots of love..and most importantly try to socialize them with as many other dogs and animals etc as you can! yes they will drive you crazy sometimes but they repay you a million times over with their staffy love...nothing like it!!

Back to top Go down

Post by billysgirl Fri Nov 25 2011, 14:46

Hiya and welcome to the forum wave .

billysgirl

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sat Nov 26 2011, 00:37

Hello wave
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 27 2011, 14:22

vanessa wrote:

all I can say is that staffys need lots of discipline... lots of exercise and lots of love..and most importantly try to socialize them with as many other dogs and animals etc as you can! yes they will drive you crazy sometimes but they repay you a million times over with their staffy love...nothing like it!!

What she says!!!!!!!

Welcome to the forum from me and my girls Kita & Izzy wave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down