Distressing Visit to a Groom Room

2 posters

Go down

Distressing Visit to a Groom Room Empty Distressing Visit to a Groom Room

Post by maria0077 Mon Nov 14 2011, 09:41

Hi there,
may I just share an experience with you...
I took Stella to a Groom Room to have her claws clipped.
She had this done twise by my vet and she has always been a very patient doggy, she just sit on the table and let the vet do whatever was needed.
At the Groom Room yesterday...I think it must have been just an unprofessional approach...they grabbed her just by her ribs, not under her bum as well, one woman held her in her arms and another took her paw. As soon as they touched her with the clips she started screaming, teeth out, growling, a real beast....they had a table available her but insted of placing her calmly on the table they insisted on continuing like thism holding her with her paws out of angle, terrible. I was telling them 'Oh no, please leave it, she's never been like this and I don't want you to continue because I don't want her to be scared and behave like this'. Then they finally stopped and started explaining me that I should train her to be used to be restrained, held, have her paws touched...but believe me, Stella is a sweet dog, she's not aggressive, she's used to be cuddled and held and I can touch her paws whenever and however I want to. But they just wanted to show me that they are the real dog professionals there and I just can't train my dog...
It was so distressing.... The ladies were like mad, they just wanted to show me that they can handle it but they obviously could not and I was so scared 1. that Stella will tear their faces and I will end up with a dog labelled as people-agreesive or 2. that Stella will learn that people are dangerous and will stop trust them...because she's such a friendly soul Love Struck
Thanksfully she's completely OK, she was playing with them for a while as soon as they stopped the procedure (they didn't finish but they didn't want to give her back to me straigh away, they sort of wanted her to remember something nicer from the visit, like if I was ever coming back) and then I just desappeared from the shop as fast as I could and will never ever come again because Stella is such a happy-go-lucky dog, she can be cheeky and wild playful but never nasty, she's 5,5 months so I was so scared that she could take some lifelong bad experience from this.... Now I'm thinking I will make an appointment with the vet just to check that it was really THEM and not Stella, I was so angry with those ladies at wits end
Sorry for the long post, it happened yesterday, I just wanted to share it.
Thanx Love Struck
maria0077
maria0077
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Distressing Visit to a Groom Room Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Stella & Kai
Dog(s) Ages : Born May 2011 & Oct 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Distressing Visit to a Groom Room Empty Re: Distressing Visit to a Groom Room

Post by janey Mon Nov 14 2011, 09:55

Poor Stella! What muppets! All I can say is if you have a good experience there lucky if you tell 1 person, if you have a bad experience you usually tell 10 (or 2000 in your case). Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by maria0077 Mon Nov 14 2011, 10:06

Thanx, yes, if everything went well I probably wouldn't have written about it here Laughing But on the other hand I don't want to ruin their business so I'm not mentioning where it happened, but it was really something unbelievable Surprised But there were other dogs being groomed and they didn't look extremely happy about it but let them do it...
On a happier note, Stella's recall has been improving dramatically since I've started using James Welbeloved treats, Mini Jacks, now she very often returns when running away to meet people or actually even dogs sometimes thumbs up And the recall is 100% when there are no stronger distractions, I'm always so amazed and proud and I always tell her how wonderful she is.... Laughing Love Struck
And I actually think that her claws are fine, she will take care of them naturally by walking and if not I'll always go to my vet or by the clips myself Tongues
Thanx!
maria0077
maria0077

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Nov 14 2011, 10:20

Thats great news, there learn so fast and are so eager to please. I have never had Moo's claws clipped, she just wears them down herself as you say. Pleased she isn't too traumstised Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by maria0077 Fri Dec 02 2011, 10:43

Sorry to go back to this,
I took Stella to a vet 2 days ago, her eye seemed a bit red but mainly I wanted to discuss spaying...and she was fine, playing in the waiting room, then we went into the vet room, I lifted her up, and as soon as the vet approached her she started trembling and shivering and growling so much that the poor doctor (it was a new one I have not met before) was completely scared to touch her....so she had to get a muzzle...and continued to growl.
I don't know if she would have hurt the vet if she had not had the muzzle, I'd love to hope that not but I can't really know... It was only fear I think but it looked really bad and I felt so embarassed and sorry for her because I consider it to be my failure that she was so scared that she had to behave like that.
When the vet was done she stroked her and everything was cool (still with the muzzle, the vet really looked very scared of her) and then she was playing agin with the receptionist....
But I was really almost in tears....should I just leave it, when she is really the friendliest dog otherwise? Or should I go to some behaviorist or stuff? I unfortunately can't go and see friends and strange places too much because I don't have any in Glasgow, I have moved here in May, but she goes out regularly, meets dogs, meets people, went to puppy school couple of times, she loves driving in the car, watching people, she looks confident and playful...
It is the reason why I asked about the sedation before the spaying, I really could not leave her there alone because I can't know what she would do and especially what they would do to her because of the growling.....
Thanxx Straight Face
maria0077
maria0077

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 02 2011, 12:39

I do wonder if the experience with having her claws clipped has made an impression on her. Have a word with your vets & ask if you can occasionally just take her in to see them without anything happenening to her - ask them to give her some treats & a fuss. Maybe she just needs reassuring.

Back to top Go down

Post by maria0077 Fri Dec 02 2011, 14:11

Yes, thankx, they actually suggested exactly the same Tongues So I will just come in there time to time.
She was fine there angel until the vet started to examine her and then she started to tremble and to growl really bad confused
I asked my boyfriend to take her to his friends who like dogs time to time so she sees places and stuff like that, I hope it will help.
Otherwise I'll just have to hope that she is a healthy wee dog and we won't need to go to vets too often I dont want to s which is probably everybody's wish Love Struck
Thanx a lot x

BTW lovely avatar, Caryll applause
maria0077
maria0077

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 02 2011, 15:20

yes it sounds like the claw clipping incident has put her off! poor thing.. I would have felt the same. some people have no idea have they! angry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 03 2011, 00:04

Agree with Caryll. Most vets will do this because it's good for busniess and they want calm happy dogs as well

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down