toileting problems please help at my wits end !!!

5 posters

Go down

toileting problems please help at my wits end !!! Empty toileting problems please help at my wits end !!!

Post by lexiepb Wed Nov 09 2011, 20:36

hey i have a problem and am dieing for some help as i just dont know what to do

i have two staffy crosses both rescues.
Ozzy we got in august 09 he was 6 months old
Beau we gor Feb 2011 and she was aproximatley 2 so they are both 2 yrs and 9 months aproximatley now.

ozzy is as good as goil wen it comes to toileting he has an iron bladder and will not mess in the house.

Beau we have had on and off problems with since we got her and have struggled with this as we believe her to have had quite a bad time with her previous owner so dont know what emotional damage may have been done

wen we first got her i was only working two hrs a day so they wer hardly ever on ther own she was pretty good and would only ocasionally mess in the house.

then she went through a faze of refusing to toilet outside and would only go on walks

i started a new job at the begining of september and am now working full time hours, my parter has also had to up his hours and is working as much as possible at the moment due to financial problems which isant ideal, we try and fit shifts around the dogs so they are alone as little as possible but this isant always feesable.

beau is now refusing to toilet outside , she hasnt done anything outide in 2 weeks at least, if we can even get her out the door all she will do is eitehr sit by the back door or go and climb on the table and chairs, no matter how long we shut her out for she wont do anything, instead she will wait untill we are out of the room or at work and mess in the house,

this is becomign a real problem i managed to house train ozzy fine i would tell him off if i caught him about to or doing anything and give him a light tap on the bum and he knows right from wrong (just to clarify i have never and would never hurt my animals)

as beau waits untill she is alone it makes it hard to disciplin her for her mistakes, i make a point wen clearing up of looking at her in a sturn way and showing her what she has done and telling her she is a bad girl and you can tell she knows why i am cross

i just dont know what to do any more.

the situation isant helped by the fact i am pregnant so her weeing and pooing constantly is triggering me to be sick and generally stinking the house up and were just getting miserable with it any more.

besides this she is a wonderfull dog

i just really need some help and suggestions on what i can do, its so hard to know as i dont want to end up punishing ozzy for beaus mistakes , i have started to maybe think about crating her or something as ozzy was initally crated wen we went out wen he was a pup but beau is big... i just really dont know what to do

please please please can some one help me

lexie
lexiepb
lexiepb
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Ozzy & BOBO
Dog Gender(s) : boy and girl
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

toileting problems please help at my wits end !!! Empty Re: toileting problems please help at my wits end !!!

Post by janey Wed Nov 09 2011, 20:43

Breath! I think you need to go back to basics, how ever prolonged a time it may be. Telling her off when she has a mistake isn't going to help, just clear it up, no fuss and take her out, telling her off tbh will make her more nervous and more inclined to do it again.

A crate may help. I haven't used one so can't help there. Back to basics I think, take her out, when she goes praise. My guess is if you have changed your routin its also changed hers, bit of time and patience, she'll get back to normal Xx

janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

toileting problems please help at my wits end !!! Empty Re: toileting problems please help at my wits end !!!

Post by Kathy Wed Nov 09 2011, 20:54

Agree with above. Punishment will only make situation worse, her more nervous. Is there no-one who can help with walks during the day or letting them out of the house?
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Wed Nov 09 2011, 21:01

def would go back to the basics,treat her like she a puppy,take her out every hour when you are there,stay with her and lots of praise and a treat when she does go,like you said you dont know what she has been through,lots of patience and sure you'll get there with her Smile
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 09 2011, 21:27

lexiepb wrote:
as beau waits untill she is alone it makes it hard to disciplin her for her mistakes, i make a point wen clearing up of looking at her in a sturn way and showing her what she has done and telling her she is a bad girl and you can tell she knows why i am cross

the situation isant helped by the fact i am pregnant so her weeing and pooing constantly is triggering me to be sick and generally stinking the house up and were just getting miserable with it any more.

Absolutely no point looking at her in a stern way - she won't understand. She may know you're angry, but she won't understand why. A dog can't reason that it did something an hour ago that you're mad at now. If you can't catch her in the act, you can't tell her off. Just clear it up & put her outside. I agree with the others, go back to basics; I think the change in your circumstances has made her anxious & that's why you're getting these problems. If you go back to taking her into the garden/outside evry hour & praising her to the skies when she toilets out there, she'll soon pick it up again.

Dogs can often tell when their owner is pregnant & they can become a little anxious/protective. Also, because you are getting stressed, she'll pick up on that and it'll make her worse! When you see that she's had an accident, just take 2 or 3 deep breaths to calm yourself, and then clear it up as quickly as possible, and say nothing at all to Beau. It will get better, but you'll need a bit of patience.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 09 2011, 22:06

Agree with the advice already given. If she will only go on walks have you tried taking her out before each of you go to work? If you have hours designed around a dog that should help eliminate the accidents.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 09 2011, 22:15

Are you using a cleaning solution to get rid of the smell when she does go inside? This should help as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by lexiepb Thu Nov 10 2011, 19:05

thanks for the replys ill try back to basics , she knows the comand toilet means to go outside and she will go out just not do anything and then cum back in, weve started as of today putting them in the conservatory wen we go to work so they are in a more confined space and unable to trash 3 rooms lol,

ill try taking her our hourly, and on her own and see if that helps.

as for cleaning up mess all we use is whattever we have to hand usually a floor cleaner something antibac or bleach.

we have woof floors throughout and tiles in the conservatory, what would you guys recomend as a cleaning solution ?
lexiepb
lexiepb

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 10 2011, 21:47

lexiepb wrote:we have woof floors throughout and tiles in the conservatory, what would you guys recomend as a cleaning solution ?

Anything without amonia! To a dog, amonia smells like urine & that will encourage them to wee in the same spot again! You could try a solution of biological washing powder, that usually does the trick. Or you can pay a bit more & get a special cleaner from the pet store, but it does the same job as the cheaper alternatives!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Fri Nov 11 2011, 15:25

It sounds as if whoever had her before hasn't just told her off for going in the house but has frightened her to the point she doesn't want to go to the toilet in front of anyone in case she is told off. So what others have said is right, dont tell her off for going toilet in the house, dont even look at her just clear it up and carry on with what you are doing. If possible put her in another room whilst you clear it up so she doesn't pick up on any of your emotions and get more anxious. I think a crate might be useful in this circumstance, when you are out put her in a crate and when you get back take her strait out of the crate and into the garden. You might have to wait out there for an hour but if shes been confined all day then she should really need to go, when she does give her massive loads of praise, treats are good, something she really likes! When she realises going to the toilet is a positive thing she gets rewarded for she might be less fearful of going. It might also help to use a certain area of the garden to take her to so she smells previous-wees and is encourasged to go there. you say that she used to go on walks so maybe putting her on a lead before taking her to the garden might help further.

Good luck, if you need tany more help or have any questions ask us! Its what we're here for!
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lexiepb Sat Nov 12 2011, 19:16

thanks guys, managed to get her weeing a bit in the garden having to be out with her for quite a while repeating over and over go for a wee or go to the toilet type of thing and she has done and wen she dose i give her loads of fuss. its just frustrating when you can clearley tell she needs to but wont go like tonight i took ehr out tried everythign she went to squat a few times but then just decided to charge at ozzy and try n play instead which got me really angry as shes just being stuborn... its more the fact that she was fine for months with this and now to me is just just acting up and choosing to be a pest that is peeing me off, the other day while i was at work aparently she ate her breckfast and while my oh was waiting for ozzy to finish to then let her out for a poo after havign a wee she just proceded to poo infront of him infrotn of the tv witout any warning. he told her off and tried to take her outside to finnish off but she wouldnt her behaviour just comes across as stubborn and like shes choosing to just be a pain in the * n thats the anoying bit. i would never get rid of her because i love her to bits but ive just had enough of it now

im strugleing to do normal things as it is atm with being pregnant making things reli hard for me atm as im constntly exhaustend n feeling or being sick so just dont have the energy or mental strength to put up with it at the moment especially wen ozzy is such a saint and she was so good and has just changed so much, its like shes a stroppy teenager throwing a paddy

*bangs head against wall* Sad ive just had enough
lexiepb
lexiepb

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Nov 12 2011, 19:32

Take them out seperatly. Also she can feel your stress and things in the family unit changing, there a very intuitive breed.

And give yourself some breathing space, can oh do some of the training too? Please just be calm and it will click back into place. Hugs for you Xx

janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by lexiepb Sat Nov 12 2011, 20:07

ive tried taking them out together and seperatley, i just tried taking her out again and still nothing... my oh isant reli that dominant with them and they no that so they listen to me more than him they seem to see him as a bit of a walk over, hes around a lot more than i am these days as he works more evenings and i work days so i reli want him to help resolve this as i cant have this going on wen babys here and the stress is doing me no good what so ever
ive only bin in "full time work" since september and my contract ends in march which is just before i would be due to go on maternity leave (im maternity cover for some one else) this issue would be so much easier resolved if i was at home 24/7 like before , i feel like i need to get a profeshional in to adress her problems but i cant afford anything like that or afford to take her to training classes which im sure would help.

sorry for being so whiney, feeling very sorry for myself today lol
lexiepb
lexiepb

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Nov 12 2011, 20:11

Don't be sorry, emotions are all over the place for you. To be honest I think you have just answered you own question, your OH has to be as consistant as you are being, otherwise mixed messages are confusing to her and it will take a long time to get her back on track so speak.

You will get there but OH has to be doing the same as you Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by lexiepb Sat Nov 12 2011, 21:06

ive just spoken to a friends mum and she says beaus behaviour sounds like a dominance thing over ozzy and has given me lots of tips and suggestions to kick her butt in to gear including starting crating her so were gonna really shake things up over the next few days and hopefully get a new improved routine in place Big Grin xx feeling much betetr about everything now Big Grin xxx
lexiepb
lexiepb

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 14 2011, 11:58

Congratlations on your pregnancy. Whatever you do, relax first. Easier said than done but I am sure she is feeding on your stress and anxiety..

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Nov 14 2011, 13:50

Well good luck, you'll get there Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down