My puppy shaped shadow

3 posters

Go down

My puppy shaped shadow Empty My puppy shaped shadow

Post by Maxien78 Tue Nov 01 2011, 09:34

So since Sunday Sapphire has been following me everywhere. I go to the loo she follows me, i go to make a cuppa, she follows lol. Last week i was worrid about loyalty issues due to her preferigthe attention of my other half over me, but this week she did a U turn and wil not leave my side. It's not too bad at times because i love the cuddles and playing, but she's started to howl and moan if i go anywhere in the house and close doors so shecan't follow. Any ideas on what i can do?

Maxien78
Maxien78
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Sapphire
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

My puppy shaped shadow Empty Re: My puppy shaped shadow

Post by Guest Tue Nov 01 2011, 09:47

Vlad did this (and still does every now and then)... unfortunately (and it's hard!) you have to ignore it. We have given him loads of distractions with loads of toys and a really sturdy chew. Because we both work, he is at home in the back yard during the day (he is now at the stage that if the sun is up, he wants out! LOL) and we wanted to make sure he wasn't howling the street down! He gave a couple of whimpers, but was soon distracted by his Kong, which we would use as his breakfast, that we had filled with his dry food and jammed a bone in so he had something to try and get to. Even when we are home, we make sure he goes out... we can open all the blinds and he can see us, but doesn't care. Getting rid of the separation anxiety is hard, but there will be times when you can't be there and little Sapphire will have to occupy herself until you get home to give her cuddles! Oh, and we found calmly saying hello helps, not getting him over excited when he sees us.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 01 2011, 10:45

If possible start of slow and build up to longer periods over time of being away. It takes some work and was one of the harder things we had to go through with Suki. We still won't leave her on her own for more than about 5 hours or so.

Back to top Go down

Post by poppyandsky Tue Nov 01 2011, 14:32

skys 20mths now and is still my shadow i can sit on the sofa and just cross my leg and she jumps up incase i move,took her to my mums the other day,put her in the garden for about 10mins you should of heard her when she realised i wasn't out the too.
poppyandsky
poppyandsky
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sky
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by i love leah and lois Tue Nov 01 2011, 21:27

Milly is the same with me doesnt like leaving my side.She even follows me To the loo. Laughing
i love leah and lois
i love leah and lois
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Support total : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxien78 Fri Nov 04 2011, 19:13

Well when i think back at her heritage, her granma Angel is my sisters shadow too. Shcame to stay on bank holiday weekend August and she just would not leave my sisters side. Sh was fine out on walks, she is a very very obedient dog, she doesn't even seem to care about my sis not being there all the time, but as soon as my sis goes to bed, or goes to the loo or something, Angel is sat outside that door waiting for my sis and no amount of treats or bribary will work lol.

Don't get me wrong i love that Sapphire shadows me because it makes me feel extra important, but it can be a nightmare.

BUT we have had a little breakthrough, we no longer get her moaning at night and scratching at doors, she doesn;t seem to care if i get up and leave the room but i think its because she has realised that if i have shoes on that its a time to worry lol she knows thats when im gone for long periods...only of about an hour or so at a time, but she doesn;t like it and it lying next to the door when i get home..bless her...

oh her obsesson now is the kids. We got her when it was half term so the kids werealways there, well this week she has cried whenever they leave for school. today not so bad but she also now knows when they will be back because thats when she gpes psycho and starts running from the top of the garden straight through the kitchen into the living room and back lol, then she will sit by the living room door waiting from about 3pm which is when my son usually gets home lol.
Maxien78
Maxien78

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Sapphire
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content