Refusing to drop a stick and more - HELP!

3 posters

Go down

Refusing to drop a stick and more - HELP! Empty Refusing to drop a stick and more - HELP!

Post by Brianna Sun Oct 30 2011, 19:40

Hello, I am new to this site and I am really hoping you can help.

We have a 9 month old bitch who is a normal naughty pup but generally well behaved with no aggression, ever. We got a complete boy 2 weeks ago who is 2 years old and on the whole is a lovely dog, well behaved and calm. However when it comes to the two of them playing with a stick whilst out walking, it can be a nightmare! If she has a stick then she winds him up to get him to chase her and if he tries to get the stick, there is a lot of noise between them however it appears to be playful. However if he has a stick she just follows him round. I am not overly worried about the noise they make but I had a massive issue on our walk today!

I was out on my own with them and the walk went well until the end. I had put the pup on the lead as she can be more difficult to get back. I called him back to me and he came but he had a stick so she grabbed hold of it and they started playing tug of war! I tried everything I could think of to get them apart, I asked nicely to drop it, I raised my voice and changed my tone, I tried pulling their jaws apart and sadly admit that I smacked them because by that point I had been doing all I could to stop it. Nothing made any difference. I kept going for what seemed like ages and I was so mad with them and embarrassed as people were watching me. I ended up asking a stranger to help so that when I got one off they could get it away which worked in the end.

I think that he has been taught to grab hold of sticks and not let go but I don’t know what to do to try and break the habit as I cant have that again! She is normally good with drop it but the two of them together, they were really stubborn! Any help will be gratefully received.

Thanks x
Brianna
Brianna
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bella & Chill
Dog Gender(s) : Female & Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Refusing to drop a stick and more - HELP! Empty Re: Refusing to drop a stick and more - HELP!

Post by Guest Sun Oct 30 2011, 23:58

Hi & welcome to the forum.

I think the main thing you will have to teach is a really strong "leave". Never accept anything less than an immediate leave of anything when you tell them. Until you have that, I wouldn't let either of them play with a stick while you're out. If one of them picks a stick up, I'd tell them to leave straight away.

Back to top Go down

Refusing to drop a stick and more - HELP! Empty Re: Refusing to drop a stick and more - HELP!

Post by magnusb Mon Oct 31 2011, 01:25

What I've always done is when inside I throw a ball and when the dog brings it back I give him the release command and immediately follow up with a treat.
Do this 10-20 times and it will work.

All though dogs can be very hard to get to release a stick when there are two of them around since they do not want to give up their toy.

I suggest training them individually but no promises as staffy's do get very excited while playing and they might forget what they learned haha Smile

Also what Caryll said.
magnusb
magnusb
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 31 2011, 02:35

I agree with Caryll as well. We carry a squirt bottle full of water as well and wil spray Suki when she starts to go after something we don't want her to have.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Oct 31 2011, 09:49

Can't really add anymore but I do agree that I think you need to train them seperatly and be prepared to be very patient, there both still very young and will pick up things quickly with firm commandsXx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 31 2011, 11:03

When Tyson was younger and we babysat a english bull dog of the same age, tug o war was a favourite pastime and the noises sounded verocious but the moment I heard a change, I would stop the game immediately. I never allowed this game when I was not present.

Not keen on this with strange dogs as I tried a game at the park just once and it almost started a fight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brianna Mon Oct 31 2011, 20:56

Thank you all for all the advice you have given and we will be asserting our authority more in futeure. At home they both drop really well but clearly more practice is required and training on leave it too. We have decided to try distraction as well once we get a couple of indestrucable balls!!!
Brianna
Brianna

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bella & Chill
Dog Gender(s) : Female & Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down