Piriton question!

3 posters

Go down

Piriton question!  Empty Piriton question!

Post by Scubasteve Fri Oct 28 2011, 11:09

Tinkerbell seems to have a reaction to something, since we have had her she has been itchy over her belly and legs. Her belly has now cleared up, and we are just left with the legs issue. When she was last seen at the vet we queried the skin problem and they adivsed we de-flea her (even though she has never had signs of fleas), and wash her down after coming in from the garden incase she is allergic to grass. Straight Face

Now the weather has got colder she doesn't seem to have any problems on her belly, but her back legs especially are red raw from her constant licking and biting at them. I have seen pirotin (sp?) is supposed to be good for allergic reactions etc would it be any use to her? If so we only have the liquid form here not the tablets, as we have had to use it for Harrison as he is allergic to doc leaves so everytime he gets stung he comes out in a massive rash So how much would I give her, and would that be the same as the tablet form?
Scubasteve
Scubasteve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tinkerbell
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Piriton question!  Empty Re: Piriton question!

Post by Guest Fri Oct 28 2011, 12:38

With the tablets I give half a tablet twice a day if there are any allergies. I've never used the liquid though.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Oct 28 2011, 13:01

Only used a tablet myself. Moo has been constantly licking her front paw, right on the crease and its also so raw. When I catch her doing it I stop her, but it seems to be a habit she has got into, I haven't tried the piriton as I don't think its a reaction, so if it helps please let me know Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Fri Oct 28 2011, 19:59

Yeah we also stop her when we see her as we think it is a habit that needs to be broken. Looks like we will have to get some tablets then, was at the chemist for my son earlier should have picked some up then. Will let you know if it works when we get some!
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Oct 28 2011, 20:00

Please do because I think its habit with Moo!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 29 2011, 00:28

janey wrote:
Please do because I think its habit with Moo!

If it's purely a habit then the piriton won't do anything. But if she's doing it partly out of habit & partly cause it's irritating then it might work.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 29 2011, 02:39

Its not anxiety is it? rather than medicate.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Sat Oct 29 2011, 07:48

No I don't think so, she was "itchy" when we had her, but her belly seems to have cleared but her legs remain the same! She used to scratch her face a lot too, but that stopped with the belly!

Caryll I agree, I think there must be something irritating her to make her do this in the first place. But now it may well just be habit. as whatever it was has cleared on her belly. But she does now have a habit of sitting and licking her paws an awful lot!
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by i love leah and lois Sat Oct 29 2011, 13:49

My old boy has the same problems i was told by the vet that they can do blood test to see what the allergy was caused by,Was told these blood test would cost around 300 pounds.The vet asked me a few questions and she put it down to the grass has he suffers in places where grass touches him like is paws and belly,Now he has a injection every 8 weeks to keep it under control.Its a steriod injection he has.The only problem with this injection is that he has gained a bit of weight even though he gets plenty of exercise.Is appetite has increased also.
i love leah and lois
i love leah and lois

Status Status :

Support total : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 29 2011, 15:58

I'v seen many cases where alot of tests were done with grass certain flowers food those kind of allergies but it turned out to be dust mite allergy which shows its ugly head when dogs are laying on the floor their bed other furniture etc while out and about the dog wouldn't itch or scratch but soon as they entered the house it started sctach and especially licking their paws to the point of self mutilation

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down