Dog distraction

Go down

Dog distraction Empty Dog distraction

Post by Guest Mon Nov 01 2010, 21:40

if anyone can help Samson is quite submissive towards other dogs which is good, but whenever we meet other dogs walking round he'll lay down when they get within 20ft and then pounce in a playful way, i've tried pulling him along, cajoling him, try to get him to follow a treat, but nothing i've tried so far gets him to simply walk past another dog without stopping.
any idea's

Back to top Go down

Dog distraction Empty Re: Dog distraction

Post by Guest Mon Nov 01 2010, 21:49

Dempsey does this, but for a different reason. He's very dominant & I think he's worked out that if he lays down other dogs will be more likely to come over & then he can flatten them! I've taught him to stand up when I say "Get up!", but even that doesn't always work!

What about using a squeeky toy? Or a harness so that you can literally pull him into a stand?

The other thing is, be aware of where other dogs are & try to distract before he gets a chance to lie down.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 01 2010, 21:56

Caryll i've tried the squeeky toy, once he see's the dog he goes deaf, i've even tried the dog whisper back heel that must only work when there's a camera crew, thats it i need a camera crew sorted what could possible go wrong Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Mon Nov 01 2010, 22:00

I think hes just giving the other dogs respect as hes still a youngster I think you just need to keep encouraging him to stay up when meeting other dogs. ahhh bless him
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 01 2010, 22:06

Yes, if I remember from you other posts he's still very young. It'll take time, but he'll improve. At least he's friendly!

Patience & consistency.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 01 2010, 22:13

yeah he's only 10month and castrated about 4 weeks ago, like you say rather him be like that than unfriendly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down