should I start worrying?

3 posters

Go down

should I start worrying? Empty should I start worrying?

Post by spuker1 Sun Oct 09 2011, 21:49

Mambo's been acting strangely for the last two days. he's not that energetic, he has difficulty jumping and doesn't want to do that (he can jump on the sofa but he doesn't want to, he does only when we ask him few times).
last night instead of sleeping on the sofa as usual he slept on the floor right behind our bedroom door.

I looked for the symptoms on the net, I found this: http://www.justanswer.com/pet-dog/1lbwx-last-night-dog-started-acting-sick-walks-sort-of-humped.html and I started to worry Sad

Mambo indeed had 'Unproductive attempts to vomit' today twice... the vet there says he's very concerned and all, but I'm not sure about calling emergency and all that...
He eats normally, drinks a bit more, pood twice today.

Now I'm thinking that something may happen overnight and I won't be able to help or sth, but at the same time I think it's not really emergency

I'm confused Sad
spuker1
spuker1
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
should I start worrying? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Mambo
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 2

http://tsphotography.org

Back to top Go down

should I start worrying? Empty Re: should I start worrying?

Post by Guest Sun Oct 09 2011, 22:03

Is his stomach swollen & hard to the touch? Does he display any of the following?

attempts to vomit every 5-30 minutes with foam, mucous or nothing out (sometime called hallmark symptom)
unsuccessful attempts to defecate
change in behaviour
significant anxiety
restlessness
cold mouth membranes
pale or off colored gums (dark red in the initial stage and white or blue in the later stage)
abdominal swelling after meals
abdominal pain
whining
pacing
apparent weakness
heavy panting
shallow breathing
licking the air
collapse
seeking for a hiding place
looking at abdominal often
show signs of discomfort
refuse to lie down or sit
curl up in a ball

If there are a few of the above he may have bloat. Now, although bloat is a very serious condition, it's difficult for a non-vet to say for sure that it's happening unless you've been there, done that!

If he's eating & pooing then it's unlikely bloat, but he may have a belly ache. I'd keep an eye on him & maybe phone your vet in the morning.

When Dempsey had bloat recently he was trying to vomit every 10/15 minutes, he couldn't eat & wasn't pooing. His stomach was unnaturally large ('bloated') and hard to the touch, and it 'rumbled'. He also manically ate hrass & any greenery he could get at, I think to make himself sick.

Back to top Go down

Post by spuker1 Sun Oct 09 2011, 22:14

Thanks Caryll Smile
We just called emergency vet and were told pretty the same thing... the lady explained the symptoms and said it's unlikely it's a bloat because we would see some more typical symptoms which he doesn't have... but we should keep an eye on him and maybe go to the vet tomorrow.

Mambo is known for his stomach problems, and I hope it's just one of those, not really serious.

he usually tries to eat grass so I can't really tell whether this is a symptom or not...

His stomach is definitely not bloated that way, and he only attempted to vomit twice or three times today, when he woke up.but he always eats and drinks very fast and he's definitely prone to any stomach diseases. his behaviour is definitely different... he doesn't jump and doesn't want to walk up the stairs.

we decided we'll sleep in another room with him (so he won't get confused that now we allow him to our bedroom), I wouldn't fall asleep thinking that something may happen over night ...
spuker1
spuker1

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 09 2011, 22:17

Let us know how he is tomorrow!

Back to top Go down

Post by jhowell44 Sun Oct 09 2011, 22:18

hope he gets better soon, its not nice seen them ill as your constantly looking over your shoulder to see if they are ok
jhowell44
jhowell44
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 10 2011, 14:52

how is he doing??

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 10 2011, 15:43

just read your post... hope Mambo is abit better now...

it is always a worry when our pets aren't well...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 10 2011, 16:03

vanessa wrote:

just read your post... hope Mambo is abit better now...

it is always a worry when our pets aren't well...

I agree, and it's so hard when they are a "bit off colour" or nauseous - but eating, drinking and toileting is still the same.
Hope Mambo is a lot better today >Big Grin<

Back to top Go down

Post by spuker1 Mon Oct 10 2011, 23:19

Hi everyone, sorry to keep you waiting, it was a long day...
Mambo's back to his 'almost' normal self Smile this means he's definitely better but he's still a bit quiet. it was definitely something with his stomach but he now seems to be getting better and better every hour.

he slept with us last night and probably loved it, we didn't because he woke us up at 6:30am barking at some neighbour going to work (he never barks when he sleeps alone so it was sweet of him to protect us, but why like this?! Wink )

luckily, it was not a bloat but i'm glad we've learnt about the disease (never heard of it before!) and are now aware that he may be at risk with his eating habits and sensitive stomach so we will keep close eye on him.

thanks for your concern guys, you're amazing it's so good to know there's a place where we can always seek some advice and 'words of wisdom' Wink when needed Smile
spuker1
spuker1

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 10 2011, 23:30

Good to hear he is getting back to normal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 11 2011, 08:22

sorry i missed this, glad mambo is on the mend

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 11 2011, 16:08

yeah glad Mambo is feeling better!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 11 2011, 16:16

A good way to avoid bloat is never feed your dog less than 2 hours before a walk or at least one hour after a walk. Preferable leave the feed till about an hour & a half or more after the walk. This allows for his digestive system/heart rate to return to normal before exercise.

Although a dog can still get bloat when you feed this way, it's far less likely.

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoogie Wed Oct 12 2011, 18:54

if i may... if he is coughing, trying to vomit, being generally less energetic or being depressed, tiring easily or generally not being himself (and acting like an old fart) and bloat has been ruled out, perhaps you should have him checked out for CHF. or similar heart condition.

Unfortunately, heart conditions are hard to diagnose because they tend to be nonspecific.

Again, if i may, please watch him carefully during moments of exertion and note if he shows any of the above signs, more notably any change in color to his tongue or swelling of his ankles or paws.

Zoogie
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 12 2011, 19:30

glad he is on the mend x

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down