NEED YOUR HELP

4 posters

Go down

NEED YOUR HELP Empty NEED YOUR HELP

Post by Ruby&Me Mon Sep 19 2011, 09:51

Some one has just told me that if you give staffies raw meat and bloody foods it can give them a taste for blood and make them aggressive, like if you give them a rabbit to eat, and one day you take them to a country park it will kill the rabbit! Im not sure I believe and I dont want a row about it with her but I need the best info I can get.

Ruby&Me
Ruby&Me
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
NEED YOUR HELP Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ruby and Beau
Dog Gender(s) : Girl and Boy <3
Support total : 9

https://www.facebook.com/CarlaMOFO

Back to top Go down

NEED YOUR HELP Empty Re: NEED YOUR HELP

Post by janey Mon Sep 19 2011, 09:53

I think someones winding you up Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 19 2011, 09:55

yeah think they are, its nonsence

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby&Me Mon Sep 19 2011, 09:55

No she is dead serious :/
Ruby&Me
Ruby&Me
NEED YOUR HELP Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 19 2011, 09:56

I wouldn't believe that myself. They do have a high prey drive so they are prone to chase the smaller animals which is just natural.

Back to top Go down

Post by four leaf clover Mon Sep 19 2011, 10:09

I wouldnt say that there is any truth in that at all. I'm not saying that they wouldnt kill a rabbit ( I think Diesel would but Clover wouldnt bother to chase it lol), but I very highly doubt it would have anything to do with being fed raw.
four leaf clover
four leaf clover
NEED YOUR HELP Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Clover
Dog Gender(s) : 2 Females
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 19 2011, 10:18

I've heard the same and don't believe a word of it. Charlie eats raw meat and has never gone after or killed any animals. I think it's a very old fashioned school of thought. I really wouldn't worry about feeding her raw meat.

Back to top Go down

Post by johneva Mon Sep 19 2011, 10:50

Lol that is so funny yet another person who obviously thinks that Staffies are some sort of mythological beast who once they get a taste for blood will kill anything that moves.

End of the day they are a breed of terrier so their prey drive is high anyway. Chances are they will chase small animals anyway no matter what they eat. Thats why training is so important, with an excellent recall and the ability to get their attention no matter whats happening is all so important.

As for eating raw making them more likely to chase and kill animals sorry but I find this very hard to belive.

http://rawfed.com/myths/bloodthirsty.html

I dont feed raw diet by the way before you make assumptions that I am saying this as I am someone who feeds raw. I personally dont do raw mainly for the mess and the complexness of getting a good balanced diet.

We are both busy as it is and dont want to spend load of time in feeding our dogs, we would prefer to spend our time training them and playing with them. I would also always be insecure about them getting all the vitamins and minerals they need. Where as a deasent complete dry food all the hard work is done for you and its alot less mess too. We also dont have the freezer space for the dogs to have there meals in there to. So raw diet just does not fit our requirements for feeding our dogs.

If I had more time to spend researching raw diet and more time to spend making their meals, setting up somewhere for them to eat without makeing a mess everywhere and arranging diet plans to make sure they got the right balance of foods to cover all the vitamins and minerals I would defo consider a raw diet. An of cause if we had more freezer space to put all the extra meat in.

So personally if you have the time then I think its a great way to feed your dog, unfortunatly we dont with us both being in full time work and struggling to find enough time in the day to get everything done as it is.

Between walking the dogs twice a day, doing training, feeding a dry diet, of course normal daily jobs such as making our own food, house work, gardening, ect and working full time jobs there is not enough time in the day already so raw just would not work for us.
johneva
johneva

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Molly, Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 : 1 1/2
Dog Gender(s) : Female, Male
Support total : 36

http://www.lease-hire.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 19 2011, 10:55

Years ago (and I mean 50 years or more) it was a belief that this is true.

Actually, it's a load of bull! Big Grin

There are 5 prey instincts in a dog;
1. Stalk
2. Chase
3. Catch
4. Kill
5. Eat

Most dogs will have 1 or more of those instincts, very few will have all 5. Eating raw meat won't change (or create) any of those insincts. Some breeds are known to have all 5 (eg Border Terriers), but staffs don't. Many will stalk & chase; some will catch; a few will kill. But that's their nature with or without raw meat.

In my experience a raw dfed dog will actually be a lot calmer than a commercial fed dog because of the lack of additives in the diet.

IT MOST CERTAINLY DOESN'T MAKE THEM AGGRESSIVE OR VICIOUS IN ANY WAY!

MY last staff & my current EBT were/are both fed raw & neither are blood-thirsty killers! Big Grin However, both would stalk & chase. Dempsey will catch & has killed. But he won't then eat the prey. It's just nature.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby&Me Mon Sep 19 2011, 11:50

Tbh I couldn't say because she was hanging over my shoulder, she is my boss and she has just brought a puppy (springer spaniel) to be trained as a gun dog, I know the training will be different but every thing i say, even in general she has to disagree with :/

I just wanted to put her strait as I'm not too confident in my knowledge and needed some back up really, thanks guys, I now don't feel like I'm on my own with my beliefs as far as BARF goes, I am going to change ruby to it and beau ((in 19 sleeps!!)) when we get him as it seem like the healthier option for us.

Dunno what I would do with out you all....my brothers and sisters from other mothers LMAO

Xxxxxxxx
Ruby&Me
Ruby&Me
NEED YOUR HELP Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down