HELLPP!!!!!!!

2 posters

Go down

HELLPP!!!!!!! Empty HELLPP!!!!!!!

Post by traci2510 Tue Sep 06 2011, 16:17

Hi Guys,
Ive now had my crystal for 6 months, ive never really had a problem with her when im out walking apart from her pulling me lol, but the past two days when walking her if she comes across a dog on a lead she tries to charge them and gets a lil aggressive, can you please help, i have never known her to do this and its worrying me a little as i would hate her to be aggressive,, please any suggestions on what to do
traci2510
traci2510
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : crystal, izzie
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

HELLPP!!!!!!! Empty Re: HELLPP!!!!!!!

Post by Guest Tue Sep 06 2011, 16:30

Are you sure its aggression instead of frustration? frustration is more common than aggression being on leash prevents them introducing themselves properly as dogs would, so they can get frustrated, though if it is not nipped in the butt it can turn into aggression, but its good that you asked for help very early on, Firstly I would suggest you learn about dog body language so you know what to expect and what to look out for, this is very important ( simplest differences like the hackles on only the shoulders going up means nervousness, hackles going all along the spine means aggression/tail level with body and wagging is a good sign, tail higher than the body and wagging is not good, stiff body high tail is bad/ stiff body tail low/level, is seen with confusion/unsureness of the others dog approach or behaviour).
I would also suggest a head halti (this is not a muzzle and should not be used as one) it will how ever help you with the pulling (as pulling alone can cause irratation in dogs and you and the dog can pick up on this and get on the defencive/taking it out on the nearest thing aka another dog) The halti will also help you control her during in introductions with other dogs (knowing her body language) you can pull back and up on the halti/lead (closing her mouth) and preventing an attack. Once you have learnt what to look out for and you are confortable in your ability to control her knowing what to expect you can then try a few simple introduction very quick hello and good bye (allowing the dogs to sniff each other) then walk away befor anything bad happens and gradually over time you can stay longer and longer. Also another important thing to remember is eye contact with other dogs (this can trigger unwanted behaviour. As dog stare each other out before conflict)if you can avoid it that'll be great, another words always try to approach from behind the dog or from the side of the dog.

Back to top Go down

Post by traci2510 Tue Sep 06 2011, 16:44

i must admit her heckles do rise but only very slight, i havent noticed her tail but thank you now i will take more notice, it could be frustration as she wants to get to the park so bad, but this is a new thing as when ever we walk she has never done this she never really took any notice of other dogs and if i did stop to have a chat she didnt take any notice to the other dog, up the park off the lead she plays with all the dogs, im just confused why now these past few days she has started it, and of course it starts my jack off to as she joins in, it shook me up i gotta say... i have thought about a halti but someone told me they are not good for staffs so i got a harness but she pulls like a train on that
traci2510
traci2510

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 06 2011, 16:54

traci2510 wrote:i must admit her heckles do rise but only very slight, i havent noticed her tail but thank you now i will take more notice, it could be frustration as she wants to get to the park so bad, but this is a new thing as when ever we walk she has never done this she never really took any notice of other dogs and if i did stop to have a chat she didnt take any notice to the other dog, up the park off the lead she plays with all the dogs, im just confused why now these past few days she has started it, and of course it starts my jack off to as she joins in, it shook me up i gotta say... i have thought about a halti but someone told me they are not good for staffs so i got a harness but she pulls like a train on that

Because of what you have said with her playing and usually being nuetral around other dogs its sounds like onleash frustration so stopping the bad behaviour ie pulling on the leash and teach her to walk nicely and calmly, would be a good start, even if it isn't the main problem but of course you have to work upto the main problem and this may just be it, but you will have to see, I have three staffy crosses and each of them have a head halti and i believe (size two) actually now has staffies on it.
Another good thing with the head halti is confidence, just knowing you have such good control in all situations, adjusts your behaviour on walks,if liek you said, it shook you up (just this alone can make her feel she has to protect you, because you got shook up), its a great tool.

Back to top Go down

Post by traci2510 Tue Sep 06 2011, 17:16

i did wonder if she was protecting me or my lil jack,thank u hun this has made me feel alot better i will surly buy a halti as i love my walks with my girls, and of course if she feels tention with me now she is going to act in a different manner when walkin x
traci2510
traci2510

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 06 2011, 17:26

I bought my halti's offline but that was only because i know how to adjust them if needed, if it is at all apossible i would take her to a pet store to get fitting properly. Good luck and let me know.

Back to top Go down

Post by traci2510 Tue Sep 06 2011, 17:36

i will do hun and thank u again x
traci2510
traci2510

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 06 2011, 20:57

When approaching a dog get her to sit and distract her with a treat or teach her the watch me command and as you approach and walk past another dog get her to watch you and once you've passed the dog reward with a treat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby&Me Wed Sep 07 2011, 15:34

Marty wrote:When approaching a dog get her to sit and distract her with a treat or teach her the watch me command and as you approach and walk past another dog get her to watch you and once you've passed the dog reward with a treat

Good idea Marty, I'm gonna try that one!! Xx
Ruby&Me
Ruby&Me
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
HELLPP!!!!!!! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ruby and Beau
Dog Gender(s) : Girl and Boy <3
Support total : 9

https://www.facebook.com/CarlaMOFO

Back to top Go down